Minaret Aerowool under chama?

Stilpr

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have the chama 3/4 zip and was looking at picking up the minaret Aerowool crew top to go under it. Does it make sense to double up on those two base layers for a September elk hunt in Colorado? Or is there another piece I should be looking at?

I am planning (for now) on bringing those two pieces, a base layer long underwear, obsidian pants, and a light puffy jacket.

That's the exact set up I run in every hunt....

Depends on how cold it is , how high you are, and easily you get cold.
Also factor in :
- will you be hiking hard and want to shed layers
- then sit down and glass for a while
My Aug/Sept hunts are high elev and cold until 10:00 AM, then I start shedding.........

I often use a base merino, then my Chama, then my puffy vest
If its a cold Sept, I add the puffy jacket over the vest

I like to double on the merino/chama personally and when ever possible utilize the puffy vest for mobility

OP
Stilpr

Stilpr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks!!! Does the base merino (the aerowool specifically) fit well under the chama? Or did you need to size up the chama? Same question for the puffy vest under the puffy jacket?

Any base layers under the pants?

Thanks!!! Does the base merino (the aerowool specifically) fit well under the chama? Or did you need to size up the chama? Same question for the puffy vest under the puffy jacket?

Any base layers under the pants?

Chama is a roomier fit than the thinner aerowool in my experience, they layer fine.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basically x2 on what has already been said. I run the aerowool crew t or regular crew as a base, then the chama on top. I've really been thinking about that wilkin though, it would be nice to unzip the top part sometimes!

I like the fleece over the chama and then my puffy jacket. Once Oct rolls around I through a soft shell vest in the mix as well and that system is pretty tough to beat. Tried and true for many!

I would get the Wilkin over the Marinet. That long zipper rules! Its great way to dump heat on hot days and makes the shirt so versatile. It zips down to nearly my belly button.

sndmn11

WKR
Like the gentleman above, I run the half zip aerowool under the zip chama, XL in both and the aerowool is a scoosh snugger. I like the half zip because I can keep my arms covered but still ventilate and think it is better then a short sleeve when it gets hot out.

Last edited:

willidru

WKR
Just finished 3rd season Co hunt and I wore the mineret under the chama both in the same size worked great.

OP
Stilpr

Stilpr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to everybody for the advice! I think I was a little leery of going with a zipper on my next to skin base layer, but the amount of people that like the zipper for it's versatility far out number those who don't. Now I am ready for the Black Friday sales…

texag10

WKR
I'll add one more for the zip version, I love it. The zipper can be hard to work with just one hand, but I'm not making it easy by using it while wearing a bino harness. I layer over my aerowool with a kuiu 240 merino hoody all the time and like the combo. The thumb loop on the aerowool are great for keeping the sleeves in place when pulling on a layer.

OP
Stilpr

Stilpr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks again guys... Just pulled the trigger on the items I need during the black Friday sale.. now lets hope I actually like those obsidian pants

Rolando

FNG
It makes great sense. I either wear a Wilkin or llano under my Chama hoody. I think you'll really like the obsidians. I've worn mine since early september with no complaints.

fishslap

WKR
I just finished five days of Colorado 4th season deer hunt at around 7400ft. I started my day with the following: synthetic REI tee shirt (or llano tee), minaret long sleeve tee, chama 3/4 zip, halstead fleece. For bottoms I had on outdoor research sequence boxer briefs (merino blend, very nice) or firstlite red desert boxer briefs, and prana zions. Wasn't too cold but I stay on the move. One morning I added a lightweight hooded REI fleece on top and some medium weight REI base layer bottoms before the sun came up. Had a puffy jacket in the pack but never needed it.