FL sawtooth vs halstead review

ofl0926

WKR
Hey what’s up everyone. This just a comparison of both items. I know ppl have asked a lot about both these pieces.
I ordered both in medium. I am 5’6 weight about 170lbs, broad shoulders and about a 41-42 chest. This is just reference for everyone. No field experience yet.

Sawtooth left halstead right. Both look and feel awesome.

Starting the sawtooth. It is insulated in the chest area and merino in the arms, back and hoodie. Has three pockets. Two for your hands higher up and one chest pocket. Has what i believe to be waterproof zippers. Also thumb loops. The merino wool of course it’s not itchy. I’m wearing underneath a sleeveless shirt and feels great on my arms. I did notice the sleeve are more form fitting. Great if your shooting a bow. The zipper goes all the way and covers part of your face. Definitely warm in the chest area. Actually just standing in my house at 70, I got hot.

Halstead now. Feels lighter in weight. It’s a grid fleece. Fit is a bit baggy but not too baggy. No thumb loops. Not tight on the arms like the sawtooth but still not baggy enough to get in the way of shooting a bow. One pocket on the left arm. Zipper goes all the way up and then some on the neck. Not as warm as sawtooth. Definitely warmer than the chama. I like the piece where it’s not too cold and your chama won’t keep you warm.

If you have questions, ask away. I’ll do my best to answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Sawtooth

3d19e3e07f4b5e1debcbb34dcb6a786d.jpg

e2e9fcea5eb29f91fe284248388fb78e.jpg

8bcd67b9bdbded295ef55d6348c96eae.jpg

69cf8164ac76ffa638ac7a59d9e1e328.jpg

baa2519c27e6fc3ec2d35d035f117899.jpg

How is the fit on the Halstead? I wear an XL in the Llano and Wilkin HZ but a L in the Unpronouncable. I usually wear all XL tops but I know FL fit can be funny. How do you like it for a mid layer to keep you toasty?

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
How is the fit on the Halstead? I wear an XL in the Llano and Wilkin HZ but a L in the Unpronouncable. I usually wear all XL tops but I know FL fit can be funny. How do you like it for a mid layer to keep you toasty?

i wear medium across the board with FL to include Llano, chama, puffy, sanctuary, halstead and sawtooth. definitely a nice piece to keep you warm. especially as a mid layer where the chama is not enough. to me the chama is great but on the thin side. this is where the halstead would come into play. as for fit, the halstead fit great for me. not too baggy but not tight either. had some room in chest and stomach area. arms where not tight and not loose. right in-between. length was good too. i believe they run true to size.
would a certain picture help you better to see the fit of the halstead?

i wear medium across the board with FL to include Llano, chama, puffy, sanctuary, halstead and sawtooth. definitely a nice piece to keep you warm. especially as a mid layer where the chama is not enough. to me the chama is great but on the thin side. this is where the halstead would come into play. as for fit, the halstead fit great for me. not too baggy but not tight either. had some room in chest and stomach area. arms where not tight and not loose. right in-between. length was good too. i believe they run true to size.
would a certain picture help you better to see the fit of the halstead?

So it’s fit is similar to a llano it seems. Just wanna make sure I don’t need to size down like i did the uncompahgre.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
So it’s fit is similar to a llano it seems. Just wanna make sure I don’t need to size down like i did the uncompahgre.

if you want, sunday when i get off shift, ill have my wife take some pics of me in it for better reference

Hey what’s up everyone. This just a comparison of both items. I know ppl have asked a lot about both these pieces.
I ordered both in medium. I am 5’6 weight about 170lbs, broad shoulders and about a 41-42 chest. This is just reference for everyone. No field experience yet.

Sawtooth left halstead right. Both look and feel awesome.

Starting the sawtooth. It is insulated in the chest area and merino in the arms, back and hoodie. Has three pockets. Two for your hands higher up and one chest pocket. Has what i believe to be waterproof zippers. Also thumb loops. The merino wool of course it’s not itchy. I’m wearing underneath a sleeveless shirt and feels great on my arms. I did notice the sleeve are more form fitting. Great if your shooting a bow. The zipper goes all the way and covers part of your face. Definitely warm in the chest area. Actually just standing in my house at 70, I got hot.

Halstead now. Feels lighter in weight. It’s a grid fleece. Fit is a bit baggy but not too baggy. No thumb loops. Not tight on the arms like the sawtooth but still not baggy enough to get in the way of shooting a bow. One pocket on the left arm. Zipper goes all the way up and then some on the neck. Not as warm as sawtooth. Definitely warmer than the chama. I like the piece where it’s not too cold and your chama won’t keep you warm.

If you have questions, ask away. I’ll do my best to answer.

The sawtooth looks more fitted through the chest and down to to the hip, is this true? As the Halstead seems to go from the chest straight down and not become any more fitted in the midsection. I really liked the extra length of the Halstead compared to other FL I have.

Thanks for the info. Considering the warmth and weight of the Sawtooth, would you prefer it to the Halstead as a mid layer under a puffy for colder conditions or an outer for mild days?

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
The sawtooth looks more fitted through the chest and down to to the hip, is this true? As the Halstead seems to go from the chest straight down and not become any more fitted in the midsection. I really liked the extra length of the Halstead compared to other FL I have.

Definitely the sawtooth is more form fitted. The halstead does seem to he same size from the chest down.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Thanks for the info. Considering the warmth and weight of the Sawtooth, would you prefer it to the Halstead as a mid layer under a puffy for colder conditions or an outer for mild days?

Good question.
Both would great as a mid layer. Personally the sawtooth would be warmer with the puffy on top. It will definitely keep you nice and toasty. The halstead, will keep you warm as well but again I think the sawtooth is a bit warmer.
Again, it all really depends on what type of hunting your doing. I can see myself using the sawtooth as an outer layer, on mild days, wind is calm.
Hope this answers the question. Again I haven’t put it in the field to test.

Thanks man. I’m looking to get a good mid layer for the chilly mornings and evenings in mid September. Nice to have something to use on the move when temps get to around 50 or so.

pew

Lil-Rokslider
I would def size down the Halstad. For insulation, the baggier, the less effective at trapping Air to heat. I am a Med in llano, chama, and small in halstead. I have a Med uncampagre and wish it were a small. The Med virus fits perfectly btw. 5’11” 170lbs if that helps.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord