Rain Gear vs wind shirt or softshell

ChadSchu

FNG
I am interested in everyones opinions on softshell or windshirt vs rain gear for the outer most layer. This year I sat in a tree stand in 20-30 degree weather with a 15-20 mile an hour wind blowing. I was mostly warm but I realized that my softshell I was using was not keeping the wind off of me. I am going back and forth between a windproof outer layer or just getting a lightweight rain gear jacket to cut the wind. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Chad

I’m all for a rain shell. They block
Wind and rain. Staying dry is important to me

I don’t use soft shells.

Owenst7

WKR
I use a rain shell instead of a windbreaker even though it weighs more in a backpack. I don't really understand the point of a windbreaker unless you are counting ounces and know that there won't be any rain.

Softshells are convenient for wearing around town or working in the yard. I suppose I might use one in a tree stand if I didn't need rain protection and it was chilly. I'd rather have a fleece layer with a rain shell over it though. I'd never do any serious backpacking with one though.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like a light soft shell for non serious backpacking. For what you described I’d look into one of those rain shells with a brushed fleece like face fabric. That will be quieter for the stand.

Lawnboi

WKR
Lightweight, and most rain gear is generally pretty loud. Personally I wouldn't wear it in a treestand.

I wear something with windstopper in it when in the treestand. Not really a soft shell, but a windstopper soft shell would accomplish the same. I have rain gear at my disposal, but like I said you get the noise penalty with almost all of it, something I can accept when hunting out west, but not in a treestand back home.

When hunting on the ground and on the move I'll use my rain gear as an outer most layer, when needed

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
I’m sure I’ll get some grenades tossed at this but I’ve tried 2 diff high end soft shell jackets and in my personal opinion, they’re great if u wanna look good! Besides that, I can’t find anything they’re that good for. Def go with a quiet rain jacket of some sort. I have tech H2O (jacket & pants) and it’s great for stand hinting. Quiet, comfy, warm and blocks wind. It is a bit bulky and heavy in the pack though. I haven’t owned any high end rain gear like kuiu or similar but sure it’s prob good stuff if you plan on backcountry.