Which wind blocking pants for treestand?

OP
mikear

mikear

Lil-Rokslider
I covered about 5 miles in them the day i hunted in the pants all day. I tend to be hot no matter what when moving. Iv worn them sitting all day, due to my layering i was cold but if i did it again i could make it work on a windy day. I was cold due to my own stupidity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotcha. That makes sense.

The best system I’ve come up with for sitting/ moving is the Kuiu down jacket and pants combined with the Kuiu Chugach rain suit. Both of the pants are easy on and off and comfortable. You can wear the appropriate clothes for the temps to walk in, then take the Kuiu suits out of your backpack and put on when you sit. For instance, yesterday I started out in the morning sitting with temps in the 40’s, then I walked all day and temps made it into the 60’s. In the afternoon it thunderstormed and rained heavy, cold rain. When I found a spot to sit for the evening, it was near freezing and windy as hell. I’m not going to say I was in complete comfort all day, but I made it from sunup to sundown.

OP
mikear

mikear

Lil-Rokslider
The best system I’ve come up with for sitting/ moving is the Kuiu down jacket and pants combined with the Kuiu Chugach rain suit. Both of the pants are easy on and off and comfortable. You can wear the appropriate clothes for the temps to walk in, then take the Kuiu suits out of your backpack and put on when you sit. For instance, yesterday I started out in the morning sitting with temps in the 40’s, then I walked all day and temps made it into the 60’s. In the afternoon it thunderstormed and rained heavy, cold rain. When I found a spot to sit for the evening, it was near freezing and windy as hell. I’m not going to say I was in complete comfort all day, but I made it from sunup to sundown.

How is the noise of the fabric on the down pants and how well do they block wind?

How is the noise of the fabric on the down pants and how well do they block wind?

The down pants don’t block the wind Well. The rain suit over the down is what blocks the wind. The rain suit is pretty quiet, but the down suit does make noise. The noise of the nylon has never been a problem for me. I think quiet clothes is more of a marketing scheme than a real issue.

Skeeter

FNG
I’m also trying out the down and rain/wind shell combo this year when hunting during periods of temp swings and/or when I need to go light. So far so good for the times I’ve needed the versatility. I’m using the Yukon shell with Kuiu down jacket and pants.

OP
mikear

mikear

Lil-Rokslider
I watched a bunch of YouTube videos on puffy pants and I think they would be too loud for my treestand outer layer mid-season. I opted for the First Lite NB set.

Due to the Black Friday sales that most First Lite stores are participating in, I was able to order the NB pants and jacket for 40% off. Wanted to do it before they sold out.

Props to Bad Ass Outdoor Gear - Tested, Proven & Trusted Hunting Gear For Hunters and Beyond the Ears | Hunting Pro Shop in MI featuring Sitka, FirstLite, Prime for the hookup. Spoke to both vendors on the phone and they were very helpful.

Keep this thread going as I think it could help others! Thanks to everyone for your responses.