why no one uses badlands clothing?!?

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
a2eb053a88abc91af8118cf66f3dabc5.jpg

My buddy swears by his Badlands pack. Even after trying on my Kifaru with all my gear in it. How can i argue? He packed the bull while I ate tag soup...dirty dog.

Nonetheless, I have had only a few times to test some of the clothing and i can’t speak for their packs. The momentum Pant is on sale and it’s great for low activity like riding a ATV in cold rain or sleet. Way too hot for walking. The Unitas vest is a nice piece of insulation but those aren’t hard to mess up. The 1/4 Zip is not Merino but it’s a great piece to wear in moderate weather. The pattern looks kind of interesting like snake skin. Works nice in Texas in cedar & mesquite cover.
dff5f7a720c1ebb506aa9c5d4a605f70.jpg

ca3e80e310f0a2006c313df1b4689e43.jpg

Get excited!

thanks for posting the pics. i really dig the pattern

Their gear is generally heavier than other things on the market.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

vanish

WKR
12 years ago I bought into the Cam Hanes koolaid and bought a Badlands 4500. I hadn't even gone on a backpacking trip at that time, but I was planning a backcountry Colorado Mule Deer hunt. I knew nothing about packs.

12 years later its traveled thousands of miles in the backcountry and packed out over 40 animals, including a solo bull elk from 3 miles in. I failed to get the memo that I'd want a new pack after that. Not saying its an awesome pack or anything, but I think the company probably gets more flack than it deserves. I have used the warranty twice, but I abuse the crud out of it.

My one complaint is that it is heavy empty. I'm sure I would love one of these fancy new lightweight packs.

uc

Bones

WKR
Gotcha, looked like more load lifter than I am accustomed to seeing on a badlands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
12 years ago I bought into the Cam Hanes koolaid and bought a Badlands 4500. I hadn't even gone on a backpacking trip at that time, but I was planning a backcountry Colorado Mule Deer hunt. I knew nothing about packs.

12 years later its traveled thousands of miles in the backcountry and packed out over 40 animals, including a solo bull elk from 3 miles in. I failed to get the memo that I'd want a new pack after that. Not saying its an awesome pack or anything, but I think the company probably gets more flack than it deserves. I have used the warranty twice, but I abuse the crud out of it.

My one complaint is that it is heavy empty. I'm sure I would love one of these fancy new lightweight packs.

uc

Thanks for the info. I haven’t done a pack hunt yet but do plan on it soon. I’m looking at kifaru for a pack and frame. Clothing is what I am wondering about with badlands.

DEW0341

WKR
I got some of that new pattern Badlands before last year and it was nice but didn't fit me that great with the pieces I had. Nothing bad to say about its quality vs "x" Brand name

CorbLand

WKR
I would have updated the post but after I spent a little time on the clothing forum and read some posts about other camo I realized it wasn't worth my time. This is a high end everything forum, I realize that, and talking about anything that isn't high end doesn't go anywhere except down.

I agree that Rokslide does cater to the high end more times then not but if thats the case, then educate us on the non high end stuff. You have to add depth to a post. What did you want me to respond to your post with? "cool, good deal."? I am not going to take time out of my day to post that and most on here aren't. Update your post, tell us why you like it and what you didnt like about it. Most people on here probably haven't tried Cabelas camo, so educate us.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
I agree that Rokslide does cater to the high end more times then not but if thats the case, then educate us on the non high end stuff. You have to add depth to a post. What did you want me to respond to your post with? "cool, good deal."? I am not going to take time out of my day to post that and most on here aren't. Update your post, tell us why you like it and what you didnt like about it. Most people on here probably haven't tried Cabelas camo, so educate us.

I’m taking the plunge on he badlands stuff. Found out they offer a discount towards military so i order some stuff. I’ll keep you guys posted

Geeze. I'm glad I bought and started using badlands gear long before I joined RS and read this thread. Granted I haven't packed any meat in my two packs (diablo and clutch) since I live back east in whitetail country, but their clothing and optics products are top notch and have stood their share of brutal abuse from me. As far as the packs go- I think that as long as you get the right pack to fit your body type, you shouldn't have a problem. I have been using my diablo for about 3 years now and it's a perfect fit for me. As with anything, if it doesn't fit you correctly, it's not going to be pleasant to wear. I know they did have some manufacturing issues a few years back that caused a lot of clothing to go out ill-fitting, but I believe they got their QC under control (no pun intended). And the lifetime warranty is obviously a huge plus.

Last edited:

Owenst7

WKR
I prefer my Osprey pack to anything I've seen from Badlands in stores. Much more functional design and it also happens to be a lot cheaper.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Geeze. I'm glad I bought and started using badlands gear long before I joined RS and read this thread. Granted I haven't packed any meat in my two packs (diablo and clutch) since I leave back east in whitetail country, but their clothing and optics products are top notch and have stood their share of brutal abuse from me. As far as the packs go- I think that as long as you get the right pack to fit your body type, you shouldn't have a problem. I have been using my diablo for about 3 years now and it's a perfect fit for me. As with anything, if it doesn't fit you correctly, it's not going to be pleasant to wear. I know they did have some manufacturing issues a few years back that caused a lot of clothing to go out ill-fitting, but I believe they got their QC under control (no pun intended). And the lifetime warranty is obviously a huge plus.

glad to hear you like your clothing

boom

WKR
my first real hunting pack was the Badlands 2800. that thing was pretty well thought out as far as compartments. the batwings were damn near amazing holding elk parts. i put a rear leg..the entire thing; i was to tired to fuss with removing the hoof. we had to go. someone mentioned wolves. :) i just wrapped the leg up with the badwings and pulled up that orange meat shelf..i was loaded up way before anyone got their packs figured out. hoisting the pack onto my shoulders was no big deal. the load was effen heavy. but heavy just feels heavy..it sucked. load lifters non existent, the hip belt was adequate. i got that load out and headed back for another. that pack kicked ass.

then i took it to AZ and the fabric was a burr magnet. everything hooked to it. and then rokslide happened.. the rest is history. it was foolish to get rid of that pack as a daypack. it got the job done with style. it was super comfy..and just as comfy as my other packs heavy.

CorbLand

WKR
Geeze. I'm glad I bought and started using badlands gear long before I joined RS and read this thread. Granted I haven't packed any meat in my two packs (diablo and clutch) since I live back east in whitetail country, but their clothing and optics products are top notch and have stood their share of brutal abuse from me. As far as the packs go- I think that as long as you get the right pack to fit your body type, you shouldn't have a problem. I have been using my diablo for about 3 years now and it's a perfect fit for me. As with anything, if it doesn't fit you correctly, it's not going to be pleasant to wear. I know they did have some manufacturing issues a few years back that caused a lot of clothing to go out ill-fitting, but I believe they got their QC under control (no pun intended). And the lifetime warranty is obviously a huge plus.

I had a clutch but never could get it to really fit me correctly. The Diablo is a great pack. I used one for school for many years then sold it and regret it. I am thinking about picking up another one for scouting and smaller trips.

I currently use the Diablo backpack and the EXO rain gear. The rain gear is actually some pretty good stuff and isn't as expensive as Kuiu, First Lite and Sitka.

I'd wear more badlands clothing if they made it in tall sizes. I've got Impact top and bottoms and it's just geared towards non tall hunters, I've also got the 2200 back pack that I've used for a couple years. The 2200 is good, but it really wears on my shoulders and back because it's basically frameless. Allegedly their warranty is great, but I haven't used it yet (that's a good thing).

69ChrisCraft

Lil-Rokslider
Carried out my first bear in a SuperDay. It was definitely overloaded I’ll admit but stitching tore on the belt and the shoulder straps. Come to think of it the frame on my Exo punched through the pack this year with a bear packout. Maybe it’s just bears.

Carried out my first bear in a SuperDay. It was definitely overloaded I’ll admit but stitching tore on the belt and the shoulder straps. Come to think of it the frame on my Exo punched through the pack this year with a bear packout. Maybe it’s just bears.

How did you do that to the exo? Reattach the bag lip while using the load self?

69ChrisCraft

Lil-Rokslider
How did you do that to the exo? Reattach the bag lip while using the load self?

That’s a valid question. I’m sure I did but just last month (different trip)I noticed the bag lip was only partially over the frame on the left side. I’m still thrilled with the performance of the Exo. That pack has been through hell and back. I’ll likely buy another this season. Someone did mention that Exo had sent out some frame bumper caps for the sharp ends for the generation 1. I guess it was a known issue.

Here’s an update on the post and specific example about Badlands lifetime warranty:

041671ca97a5a8d04767c7a435603996.jpg

Ripped on the inside of vest pulling it off one day. Not normal circumstances but still should have held up.

I submitted a warranty claim online and sent it in to them and I received a new vest 2 weeks later.

3cd21fbaa0240e75b99ac56b62db625b.jpg