Any Feedback on the Sitka Mountian Jacket

pew

Lil-Rokslider
Hello All,

I just returned from a Colorado Elk hunt and I quickly learned two things. I like windstopper, and the Sitka Jetstream is heavy and does not pack well. I am looking for something a bit lighter but that would protect against wind for glassing sessions and early morning hiking. I see a ton of mention of the Timberline jacket, but have not been able to dig up much on the Mountain Jacket. Does anyone have any feedback on this item (or the Mountain vest for that matter)?

Thanks in advance for the help!
damon

Kurtm2323

FNG
I've worn it for two elk seasons thus far and love it. Super light and breathes well. It never comes off on a hunt. Some recommendations though, if its cold out make sure to wear a long sleeve underneath it. I wear a long sleeve merino baselayer now, previously with a T-Shirt underneath, the wind would cool the shell down and touch your skin giving me the chills. Great jacket, I won't hunt without it now.

OP
P

pew

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you! I saw on the Sitka sight some complaints about noise. Did you think this was an issue at all, or did it quiet down for you after some time?
Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I recently acquired one in a size-up to put over a puffy for glassing and stand hunting. The jacket is a light, total windblock with taped seams. I would suspect it will shed light rain well also. Reasonably quiet compared to the alternatives. likely to replace my KUIU Peleton 240. I like the 240 but the waffle pattern is noisier when it rubs against itself. I would highly recommend the Mountain.

Kurtm2323

FNG
Thank you! I saw on the Sitka sight some complaints about noise. Did you think this was an issue at all, or did it quiet down for you after some time?
Thanks again!

It's not that noisy, yes it does have some noise being a shell but its definitely not rain jacket noisy. I have found it to be very water resistant. In a heavy downpour the only place that got wet was where the top of the zippers on the pockets are. If the zipper was hooded it would easily replace my rain jacket.

I wear mine over a merino base layer and just layer up. This year in Colorado I had a 4 layer clothing system for my upper body. Merino Base layer(long sleeve), Mountain Jacket, Puffy Jacket, and Rain Jacket. I wear them in that order too, I was good in weather from 65 degree down to 20 degrees.

OP
P

pew

Lil-Rokslider
To me, it comes down to quietness of the outer material (especially as temps drop) as well as abrasion resistance of the same against rocks and branches. Don’t get me wrong, if I am off I would love to not spend any more cash :). Personally, I would use the rainshell in early season when rain was a possibility and then switch to a wind stopper in the later seasons when snow would be the likely precipitation. Again, I would love to know if I am thinking wrongly on this.

Also, Kurt, thank you for your responses, they are very helpful!

One last question, why did you go for the mountain jacket vs the flash?

TwoTikkas

WKR
It's not that noisy, yes it does have some noise being a shell but its definitely not rain jacket noisy. I have found it to be very water resistant. In a heavy downpour the only place that got wet was where the top of the zippers on the pockets are. If the zipper was hooded it would easily replace my rain jacket.

I wear mine over a merino base layer and just layer up. This year in Colorado I had a 4 layer clothing system for my upper body. Merino Base layer(long sleeve), Mountain Jacket, Puffy Jacket, and Rain Jacket. I wear them in that order too, I was good in weather from 65 degree down to 20 degrees.

I too run with a 4 layer system. I do a slightly different order though. Merino base,Kelvin lite puffy(no hood),Timberline jacket,then rain wear. Wearing the puffy second does make changing up a little more trouble. You have to remove the Timberline to add or subtract the insulation. The reasoning is to keep the puffy shielded from the weather as much as possible. The trade off is a bit of compression. Still seems to keep me warm. The Timberline is another viable option for the OP. I'm loving it so far. The wind stopper,the cut of the hood. Maybe just a touch snug in the wrist of the sleeves. Otherwise fantastic. Pretty packable too.

OP
P

pew

Lil-Rokslider
Out of curiosity, what benefits do you guys see in having both a wind stopper and a rain jacket layered together?
Thanks!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
How does the mountain jacket compare to the 90% jacket???

If you can't compare the 2, what current Sitka jacket would you say is equivalent to the 90% jacket?

Thanks!!!

Kurtm2323

FNG
To me, it comes down to quietness of the outer material (especially as temps drop) as well as abrasion resistance of the same against rocks and branches. Don’t get me wrong, if I am off I would love to not spend any more cash :). Personally, I would use the rainshell in early season when rain was a possibility and then switch to a wind stopper in the later seasons when snow would be the likely precipitation. Again, I would love to know if I am thinking wrongly on this.

Also, Kurt, thank you for your responses, they are very helpful!

One last question, why did you go for the mountain jacket vs the flash?

Damon,
Honestly they didn't have the flash at the time I got the mountain jacket. That might be a great option to get as well. I personally like the full zip on the mountain jacket.

Flash doesn’t breathe well is what i found out this fall. The mountain jacket used with a Kelvin active jacket is an amazing combo for most weather in Colorado (leaving out rain/snow). Wear the Kelvin underneath in the chilly dawn hours. Remove it when it warms up and put in pack to use when you stop to glass...then just throw on over the mountain jacket until you pick up and move. The active jacket also makes a great pillow or blankie for the midday nap.

3acf109d647a1b84cf413712d3252828.jpg

Get excited!

OP
P

pew

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you both for the replies! I got to handles the mountain, flash and timberline. I agree on the full zip, and flash was supper light but pretty noisy. The extra fleece on the timberline seems warmer, but maybe too warm for activity, and not too much for sitting. I pulled a last minute audible and went with the mountain vest at this time. I just can’t get past the lack of pit zips so will see how this works :).

Thanks again!