Zip off base layers

N2TRKYS

WKR
What is the purpose of these? How are y'all using these to your benefit? Are they easier to put on in the field once you get to your glassing spot?

Thanks

You don't have to take your boots off. You just drop your pants and put on a base layer or down pants and then pull your pants back up. Quick and easy.

ljalberta

WKR
They are absolutely brilliant. So easy to put on/off as the day warms or cools or your exertion level changes. I usually sleep in mine then when I get up, pull my pants on, tie my boots, and won't take them off till I start hiking or the day warms up. Fantastic convenience factor.

MCR

FNG
Love them. I have both down and synthetic bottom zip offs and they are so convenient. Depending on the weather I can put them on when glassing and quickly take them off while hiking to another spot. The synthetics keep you warm while on the move but they breath. The down I will use for long sits while glassing for extended periods.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've thought about doing the down pants, but I was gonna run them on the outside while stationary. I may have to give these a go.

Thanks for the info.

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
I've used a belay pant for cold glassing and ice climbng for years. Zip off bases solve a problem that, for me, does not exist.

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
To Kuius credit, I do see the appeal, and at least they thought outside the box.

Felix40

WKR
I use the kenai pants. Awesome. Never notice the zipper. Cant believe kuiu is the only company offering these

I use the kenai pants. Awesome. Never notice the zipper. Cant believe kuiu is the only company offering these

same thing with the hipzips in the pants. it makes them so much more comfortable. no idea why kuiu is the only one out of first lite sitka and kryptek to do that as well.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The zippers and the velcro thing has never bothered me. I absolutely love my kenai zipoffs as well as my peloton pants.

This I agree with 100%.

I will take the other side of this. I first encountered zip off base layers decades ago in the army. They were great for shedding layers when you didn’t have the option to add a layer over your pants or when taking off your boots was a production.

I was glad the kuiu Capri type base layers. Great for cold mornings when you need a layer under your pants and to pull them off when it gets warmer. I have used them this year on a deer hunt and under my brush pants while pheasant hunting. I own and use other base layer bottoms but love the added function when I want it and never notice the zippers until I use them.

muddydogs

WKR
This I agree with 100%.

I don't get them either as its a base layer in a layering system, layers come off the top not the bottom.

I aquate some of these posts to a buddy I hunt with who just can't be cold for a second. He leaves the truck with 5 layers on his upper body to start hiking or still hunting while I leave the truck with a Carhartt tee shirt and flannel shirt on with a waterproof shell in my pack. 30 minutes into the hike he's hot and sweaty bitching about having to pack all the clothes he's taking off and when we stop he's freezing because he sweated up his base layer while I might be a tad cold for the first 30 minutes or even 2 hours at least I'm not getting over heated and I don't have to cram a bunch of clothes in my pack. Funny thing is when we stop he never gets warm again after pilling on all his now cold clothes from his pack because he sweated through his first couple layers. If one layers right and tries to keep the sweat to a minimum there should be no reason to have to remove your base layer.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I was glad the kuiu Capri type base layers. Great for cold mornings when you need a layer under your pants and to pull them off when it gets warmer.

This is why it isn't an issue for me. I don't wear the base layers for warmth, I wear them to wick the sweat away from my skin. So I want them when I'm active........regardless of the temps. And when I'm stationary they're fine too. That's why my merino bases stay on 24/7 when I'm hunting, whether it's 100 degrees in Aug on the plains, sub zero in the mountains in Nov, or in my sleeping bag.

However, I could see adding puffy pants for glassing if needed just like a puffy jacket.

Last edited:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't get them either as its a base layer in a layering system, layers come off the top not the bottom.

Not necessarily the case at all, the outter layer needs to be appropriate for the conditions and the total layers for the warmth you need. If you are overheating in the rain you don't take off your rain jacked but leave a fleece midlayer on in the rain do you? Similarly I want my normal pants to be on the outside in all cases except rain as they are abrasion resistant and the ones I will sit on my ass in the dirt in, etc. A pair of pants that handles 70F is going to be cold in 10F without adding something under them when inactive (glassing). The zip base layers make adding and removing an under layer on your legs relatively quick and painless. Some folks may not see the need and good news is there are TONS of options out there for those folks. Personally I think they make my temp management easier throughout mountain conditions swinging wildly in temperature and exertion.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This is why it isn't an issue for me. I don't wear the base layers for warmth, I wear them to wick the sweat away from my skin. So I want them when I'm active........regardless of the temps. And when I'm stationary they're fine too. That's why my merino bases stay on 24/7 when I'm hunting, whether it's 100 degrees in Aug on the plains, sub zero in the mountains in Nov, or in my sleeping bag.

However, I could see adding puffy pants for glassing if needed just like a puffy jacket.

With the right pants on my legs don't get sweated up until it gets really hot out, no need for wicking when I'm not sweating there. Leaving my thin merino layer on when active and its warm out will definitely overheat my legs and make them sweat though.

Yes the puffy zip pants are also nice so they can be made with less abrasion resistant and breathable materials (hence lighter) if you add them under your top layer versus an over the top puffy pant.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
With the right pants on my legs don't get sweated up until it gets really hot out, no need for wicking when I'm not sweating there.

For me, if I'm hunting......I'm sweating, even in cold temps.

It's also a comfort thing for me. I wear two layers up top every day of the year, just a comfort thing. Think dress shirt without a t-shirt on......just can't do that. It's the same for my hunting pants, I need a layer underneath them.

The 240 weight zip-offs have worked great moose hunting where I've have a 20 km quad ride in the dark. It is usually well below freezing so the insulation is needed. After it (you) warms up in the morning, drop the 240's in seconds and continue hunting.

I've also used them whitetail hunting a fair bit, including Coues deer. Wear them in the morning, then if going scouting or even back to the truck when it has warmed up, drop 'em off. They are a great design and the zipper and Velcro doesn't bother me at all.