Puffy hooded vs non hooded

gwl79902

WKR
I am looking at getting a new puffy and think I want a hooded one. Mine is non hooded and I think the hooded would add to the warmth. Just wanted to see what others thought and arguments for and against. Thanks and Happy thanks giving Greg

I like most of my jackets to have a hood, especially my puffy. You lose a lot of heat through your head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not to make it more confusing, but I like having both and then use each one based on what I am doing. :) If I could only have one it would be hooded though...

elkduds

WKR
I have hoods. I like a balaclava better. It turns when I turn my head. It fits in my pocket when temperature warms.

I have both too and have used both at the same time during some late season hunts at elevation.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I can't stand a jacket or any layer with a hood. I don't even want a hood on a rain coat that I can't take off.

I have the FL cirrius lite puffy w/o the hood
Then I have the regular FL puffy with the hood.

When I wear the lite puffy without the hood, I have a chama with hoody underneath.
When I run the puffy with a hoody, I run a fleece jacket underneath w/o a hoody

I utilize the hoody when it is needed, so I always have one. I also wear a balaclava that is worn 80% of time when no face paint is on.

I love hoodys especially when glassing from a ridge where its always windy.
The best part is you don't have to use them if you don't want to. But you can never use them if they aren't there.
For me it's a no brainer to have one, unless its warm.

I debated this as well. I went with the hood. The puffy is my warmth layer when it gets cold. When its cold a hood helps a lot.

The hood on the Kelvin lite is great the way you can tighten it. Stays close to your head when you turn it and doesnt blow off in the wind. Hood all the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro