Rain Pants

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I hate rain pants. But I hunt in a very wet environment. I ripped up four pairs of pants this year. Most all of the rips are from the knee down. I ripped two pairs of Sitka Storm Fronts, a pair from Outdoor Research and a pair of First Lite Storm Tights. I did talk to John Barklow from Sitka and sent the Storm Fronts back to him so he could look at them.

My question is for those that use rain pants in brushy/deadfall a lot, what are you using??
7c2eb45f01f228a6f883e179a3c1b6a5.jpg

For reasons you stated I get a cheap pair from our local hunting store- don't even know the name. But it feels like I am wearing 24 gauge pvc melted down to 28 gauge- But they work, problem is they weigh a ton. Not packable unless it was an area that had to have them. I usually just wear rain tops from FL.

The rain bottoms are always ruined/ tore up in the Ut windfall.
I can go thru 3 rolls of tenacious tape if not careful.

Some of my pants have more $$ spent on Ten Tape than the pants themselves.

The option is heavier, thicker pvc type material. The penalty is weight and bulk.

lol

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
For reasons you stated I get a cheap pair from our local hunting store- don't even know the name. But it feels like I am wearing 24 gauge pvc melted down to 28 gauge- But they work, problem is they weigh a ton. Not packable unless it was an area that had to have them. I usually just wear rain tops from FL.

The rain bottoms are always ruined/ tore up in the Ut windfall.
I can go thru 3 rolls of tenacious tape if not careful.

Some of my pants have more $$ spent on Ten Tape than the pants themselves.

The option is heavier, thicker pvc type material. The penalty is weight and bulk.

lol

Yeah, been down the cheap road.

I need them to make them tougher from the knee down:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregB

WKR
I always wear my gaiters with rain pants to keep from tearing them up. I used a set of Cabelas space rain pants which seem pretty thin. Took them on a couple turkey hunts, and deer and elk this year and no tears so far.

I always wear my gaiters with rain pants to keep from tearing them up. I used a set of Cabelas space rain pants which seem pretty thin. Took them on a couple turkey hunts, and deer and elk this year and no tears so far.
Yes
I'm too lazy to take the gators off and then put them on over the slickers
Unless it is a rain all day affair

But usually its rain on and off on and off

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I do not like rain paints either. I have been using some higher Sportsman Warehouse gaters, they come up to my knee, and my rain parka/jacket comes down to my mid-thigh, so not much is exposed and I stay pretty dry in the set-up. They worked great in northern Idaho while bushwhacking, where my buddies rain pants ripped up in the brush fairly quickly. The gaters I used are a bit heavier compared to some options, but pretty tough. I did have to treat the strap that goes under my boots with some thinned silicon, the snow has a tendency of building up on the nylon strap.

Felix40

WKR
Ive been wanting to see some made with similar material to breathable waders from just above the knee down. Just on the front would be fine. It would keep them from wetting through in brush or when you kneel.

Ive been fairly happy with my kuius but there is room for improvement.

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
Sitka Downpour pants, with Sitka gaiters. I am not totally sold on the pants, but the gaiters go on every time I go out. It is extremely wet here, and if I didn't hunt in the rain, I wouldn't get much hunting in. Lots of guys around here just use Helly Hansen Impertech, but holy cow the sweat !

If only FL would make a pants version of their SEAK.

I have had good luck smashing brush in wester wa with cabelas MT050. If I know im going to do a ton of thrashing I have a couple pairs of goretex military surplus pants off ebay. Not quiet or cool but they do their job and they are cheap and expendable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
Late on this but I have worn Cabelas mt050 rain pants for years. They are durable & last 3-4 seasons before not 100% waterproof. I still wear after not 100% waterproof for shed hunting. Get another few years out of them. I wear them a lot shed hunting going through brush & blowdowns. They are also reasonably quiet for whitetail hunting. I move all the time when whitetail hunting & they are not as good as wool or fleece but good enough.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Owenst7

WKR
The stretchy HH pants are all I wore in Alaska when I lived there. I've got some small cuts on them, but they're easily repaired with a dab of urethane adhesive/shoegoo/freesole.

JP100

WKR
I hate rain pants. But I hunt in a very wet environment. I ripped up four pairs of pants this year. Most all of the rips are from the knee down. I ripped two pairs of Sitka Storm Fronts, a pair from Outdoor Research and a pair of First Lite Storm Tights. I did talk to John Barklow from Sitka and sent the Storm Fronts back to him so he could look at them.

My question is for those that use rain pants in brushy/deadfall a lot, what are you using??
7c2eb45f01f228a6f883e179a3c1b6a5.jpg

You need Earth Sea SKy Vent X. Vent-X Overtrou - Shell Pants - Men's

My guide and I wear rain pants almost daily on our hunts and these are the only things that work. Not super expensive either. Full side zips for easy on off and venting. Very waterproof and more importantly durable. We use these for busting monkey scrub which is as bad as anything, in a 400 inch rain fall climate.

As the description says '[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Ideal for bush bashing'.

[/FONT]
Made in NZ by a small company as well, not some rip of Chinese made shite.

Dobermann

WKR
I've similarly had luck with a pair of overpants by Mont. Not sure of the model, but they're now years old, so probably superceded. Here's the current line-up: Overpants | Mont Adventure Equipment

They're pricey, but like the Earth Sea Sky gear, they're made for the kind of hiking we do here in Aus and NZ! :D

Beyond that, FL rain pants with their long gaiters works but is not exactly comfortable ...

Late on this but I have worn Cabelas mt050 rain pants for years. They are durable & last 3-4 seasons before not 100% waterproof. I still wear after not 100% waterproof for shed hunting. Get another few years out of them. I wear them a lot shed hunting going through brush & blowdowns. They are also reasonably quiet for whitetail hunting. I move all the time when whitetail hunting & they are not as good as wool or fleece but good enough.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
Are they a hard shell or do they have a tricot or similar layering on the outer?

I can't check them out here in New Zealand

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Muttly

WKR
Usually too stubborn to put on the Grundens at work unless it,s a full monsoon in the morning, throw on the Viking FR rain gear, which is okay for a drizzle. But pure shite for any serious rain, barely a step up from cotton..
Anyhow, I get hating rain pants and such. Off the clock, and in the woods of SE Alaska, been wearing Arcteryx Beta AR rain pants since 2015, I think..
Side zips, relatively easy on and off, inner gaiter cuffs, tougher material in the seat and knees.
So far, never have gotten the soak through in em, stayed dry in some pretty nasty stuff. My wife and I both run em, and I have seen her sliding on her butt across some rock that I thought would tear the hell out of em.
They still look pretty good, still water proof in anything we,ve thrown at em, and they have not been babied. Keep meaning to get the Beta AR jackets.. Not cheap.
Can't give a solid answer on their brush busting abilities, I tend to look for the path of least resistance when I, m going through the woods.
Few years we,ve running em through, SE hasn't dented em..