First lite outer layer?

Luked

WKR
For an outer layer to keep the wind and rain/snow off what putter shell would you all use

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Dobermann

WKR
What context?

Are you backpacking in? What temps? What are you hunting? With what?

All of these will impact on the decision ...

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Spiking in from a base in CO in the end of October for rifle season

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I have the north branch soft shell. Not a bad piece but it wouldn’t be my first choice for snow or rain simply because it lacks a hood. I think of soft shells on a spectrum of breathable on one end and warmer and windproof on the other. I would say the north branch is fairly breathable, so so on wind and sheds light rain fine. It is also pretty quiet. If I were looking for something more windproof, I might think about something with taped seems like a Sitka jet steam which also has a hood. If noise isn’t an issue then you could look at a rain jacket like the seak or something.

LandYacht

WKR
I agree with wishing the North Branch had good. It would be the perfect jacket if it had a hood. I have one of the earlier versions that is seam taped and has storm zippers as well. I’ve been in some pretty decent downpours and the only thing wet has been my head and hands. I’ve had it in that dreaded 33 degree temperature snow/rain and I was dry the whole day too.

It isn’t as wind proof as my hard shell, but if I toss my puffy under then I don’t have to worry about it. Just reading all of the opinions from guys that leave their soft shells at home and roll with a dedicated rain jacket left me really worried if I had wasted money on an outer layer. After three years of putting this jacket through its paces it is my go to jacket for all my outer layer needs. If only it had a hood......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk