Purpose of the Sitka Mountain or timberline jacket

Been looking at the Sitka Mountain jacket and timberline jacket. They look sweet. Lightweight windstopper jackets. Now my question is...if I already carry the Sitka dewpoint rain jacket. What’s the purpose of having one of these jackets? Seems like they would over lap too much?

The Mountain jacket would be quieter but I don't wear it or the Jetstream anymore, too heavy and bulky. I carry Kelvins (either a vest, jacket and/or hoody), a Timberline jacket and Dewpoint (sometimes) if there's a chance of rain. The rain gear is noisy,

OP
justin davis
The Mountain jacket would be quieter but I don't wear it or the Jetstream anymore, too heavy and bulky. I carry Kelvins (either a vest, jacket and/or hoody), a Timberline jacket and Dewpoint (sometimes) if there's a chance of rain. The rain gear is noisy,

The mountain is lighter and less bulky than the timberline jacket correct?

So you carry timberline and a dewpoint?

The timberline is super packable, and IMO much more durable than light rain-gear of similar weight.
I wouldn’t want to sit out in the rain all day in it, but it will keep you dry for quite awhile.
I’m not familiar with the dew point but if its light weight and flimsy like most ultralight rain gear I would bring it and the timberline, bust brush and hunt in the timberline and whip out the dew point when you really need it and there is less risk of shredding it on some brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The mountain is lighter and less bulky than the timberline jacket correct?

So you carry timberline and a dewpoint?

There's only a 3oz difference between em but the Timberline packs better. It blocks wind great while being silent and light. I pack my Dewpoints for special hunts like those archery elk hunts in monsoonal AZ.

pew

Lil-Rokslider
The mountain has no hood, the timberline has a hood, and micro fleece lining in the arms. To me, the mountain seems more quiet than the timberline, and both seem like they would be both more durable and more quiet than rain gear. To me, raingear is for early season, softshell (mountain, timberline, jetstream) is for later/snowy seasons.

excaliber

WKR
Sitka needs to make the Timberline in Subalpine. That material is quieter and has a softer feel to it. I'd actually like to see Sitka print the OC pattern on the subalpine material.

TwoTikkas

WKR
I love my Timberline. It seems to pick up a little more rustle / noise in below freezing temps. Otherwise it's a sweet shell. I've been wearing it over a Kelvin lite and a core lightweight hoodie. Temps from the mid 20s to 50.

Stwrt9

WKR
i would go Timberline over the Mountain jacket if it were me. As they are both similar i just feel you get more with the Timberline. They both aren't exactly quiet but the Timberline is quieter than the MOuntain. +1 on stika making the Timberline in Subalpine.

JPD350

WKR
In the current Site line up, what is the equivalent of the 90% jacket?

I asked the Sitka rep and he said it is the Mountain jacket, after getting the Mountain jacket I felt a little bummed because it was thinner and IMO the fabric isn't as quite as my beloved 90% jacket, although the 90% was no where close to being a Windstopper so I imagine it will work great with layers, time will tell.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I asked the Sitka rep and he said it is the Mountain jacket, after getting the Mountain jacket I felt a little bummed because it was thinner and IMO the fabric isn't as quite as my beloved 90% jacket, although the 90% was no where close to being a Windstopper so I imagine it will work great with layers, time will tell.

Thank you. All that being said, What is the actual purpose of a 90% jacket? I have one and while I enjoy it for somethings, Im struggling to find where I'll really fit it into my system.

thanks!!!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
How is the sizing on the timberline? I wear a medium in everything else
Justin I stopped by Blackovis today to try on the timberline jacket ( tough to find one to handle) and see how it sized. I tried the 2x and 3x against each other. I normally wear 2x more for arm length than girth and even wearing a hooded sweatshirt the 2x layered nicely. Torso seemed to end right at belt line in front it's longer in the back. It does narrow a bunch in the cuff and fore arm of the sleeve. So basically plenty of room for a heavy wieght core or traverse but for a puffy you'll need to up size. If your a longer torso you may also want the next size up. Loved the hood. Seemed to me the same material as the mountain jacket. Supposed to quite down a bunch after wearing and washing but it wasn't hard shell noisy by any means. Guys at Blackovis seemed to loved this jacket and even another customer in there commented on how much they like it. Everyone thought it shed water great and breathed well when hiking and working hard but still cut the wind excellent.

Thanks Blackovis you guys were an amazing help with this. I ended up deciding to wait to see if it goes on sale at the first of the year but definitely getting one to run for my outer shell for next season. Found I'd have no problems running a 2x but prefer the additional torso and arm length of the 3x.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

pew

Lil-Rokslider
How is the sizing on the timberline? I wear a medium in everything else

I am Med in firstlite and large in Sitka. The Medium Timberline (and mountain for fwiw) would fit ok for me over one light layer (core lightweight, llano, or chamma), but if I was going to use a lightweight fleece under it (or even double up the llano and chamma), I would need to opt for the large (which is what I did). 5’11”/165 lbs for reference.