Kuiu vs Kifaru

N2TRKYS

WKR
Is the Kuiu Super Down as loud as the Kifaru Lost Parka? Which one is warmer for stationary hunts?

Thanks

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can’t comment on the kifaru but if wanting best warmth in cold temps with kuiu down look at the guide pro down. This is much warmer than the superdown, more durable but does make some slight noise and would be best under another jacket.

Attachments

• 1A6DBDD0-1A30-4182-BCAB-2A3C6FDC135A.jpg
    1A6DBDD0-1A30-4182-BCAB-2A3C6FDC135A.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 219
OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
Can’t comment on the kifaru but if wanting best warmth in cold temps with kuiu down look at the guide pro down. This is much warmer than the superdown, more durable but does make some slight noise and would be best under another jacket.

Well, crap. That one's way more expensive. Lol

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The superdown is nice but when it gets in the low twenties I found I needed more warmth so sold and went with this new one which is noticeably warmer

wapitibob

WKR
Kuiu super down pro is way over priced. 5.0 oz of 850 down for $400
Trewgear is the same thing with 8.8 oz of 850 super down for $369
Sitka Kelvin down jacket is 8.8 oz blended fill for $250 on sale

buy the Sitka

buy the Sitka
Check out outdoor research on Sierra trading Post.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

JP100

WKR
Never used the Kifaru, but the Kuiu jacket is not that warm.
Good for light and fast but youd die standing/sitting in the cold all day. Trust me nearly froze to death with it on the few moose hunts ive done

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
For the coin the Patagonia down sweater is rated fairly well.
With hood and without.

R

boom

WKR
i wear the superdown. mine is an older jacket. but it isnt a stand alone jacket for me. i wear it under my sitka 90% or now the FL north branch (or whatever it is called). it is friggen warm as an underlayer, which IMHO it is what it is made for. i think i would shred it as an outer layer.

the jacket excels because i think the sleeves are like "skinny jeans". they fit tight..therefore they go under a jacket perfectly. i wish mine was the plain gray one..and not verde.

buy the Sitka

The Sitka is also nearly double the overall weight.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
My biggest hurdle is finding a good pair of down pants to go with the down jacket. I don't want a skinny jean fit.

Keep in mind the Kifaru Lost Park has a feature the others don’t have. You can run the belt from your pack through the front pocket.

Get excited!

They aren't even close to the same in warmth, size and weight. The Kifaru is way bigger and heavier but is also wayyyy warmer. It's a sleeping bag that you wear and isn't really intended to be used while you're exerting any effort unless it's below zero. The Kuiu is closer to the FL Uncompaghre if you want to compare similar jackets but down vs synthetic.

strand

Lil-Rokslider
Like Ross and others said, the Kuiu superdown is ok down to high teens or low twenties sitting still. Add a hard shell that cuts the wind and I could run it a little cooler but if it's that cold I'm grabbing the Kifaru. The super down is really light though and takes up hardly any room in the pack, but I think it's the noisiest puffy I own. The Kifaru LPP is my go to anymore, since it doubles as a piece of survival gear with the synthetic insulation, hood, and front pouch. It's already been said but I'll say it again, imagine wearing a sleeping bag on your top half and that's the Kifaru LPP. I wish they would make a pair of pants and booties to complete the ensemble for late season.

Are people referring to the Kuiu Ultra jackets or the Kuiu Pro jackets? Since they’re pretty different jackets, I’m trying to figure out some of the replies. I’m wondering is some of the comments about the Kifaru being warmer are referring to the Kuiu Ultra or the Kuiu Pro?

I’m in the market for a puffy and since I’m considering the Kuiu, Kifaru and First Lite, I’m really interested in this thread. Just a little confused since ‘the Kuiu’ is being thrown around without clarity about WHICH of their jackets folks are referring to. I wish I could find alternative jackets that come in natural colors or camo. There are some climbing/mountaineering jackets that might suit my needs but I have no interest in a teal or red or bright blue jacket. Lol! I want a solid natural tone or camo.

I thought the Sitka Kelvin Down was a possibility but it’s only available in the Open Country pattern (that I’m not a big fan of) and it’s been discontinued for 2018. Most importantly, it’s 27oz! That’s 7oz more than the Kifaru (that’s cheaper) and 13oz more than the Kuiu Pro.

Like Ross and others said, the Kuiu superdown is ok down to high teens or low twenties sitting still. Add a hard shell that cuts the wind and I could run it a little cooler but if it's that cold I'm grabbing the Kifaru. The super down is really light though and takes up hardly any room in the pack, but I think it's the noisiest puffy I own. The Kifaru LPP is my go to anymore, since it doubles as a piece of survival gear with the synthetic insulation, hood, and front pouch. It's already been said but I'll say it again, imagine wearing a sleeping bag on your top half and that's the Kifaru LPP. I wish they would make a pair of pants and booties to complete the ensemble for late season.

I’m assuming (from what you wrote) that you, and many people in this thread, referring to the Kuiu Ultra Down jacket and not the newer Super Down Pro hooded jacket?

I’m asking because the specs on the 2 different jackets are pretty different - I think the Pro jacket has 2x the down (and I’m guessing 2x the warmth) as well as a more durable outer material. Do you think that the Kuiu Super Down Pro jacket might approach the warmth of the Kifaru LPP, especially with an additional outer layer or a down shirt under it? The incredible light weight is REALLY attractive to me.

I’ve owned a Kuiu Super Down shirt (discontinued ) since the first year they offered Super Down and this thing has been AWESOME as a part of my layering system! If I ever wear it out I’m going to be crushed. Lol! Anyway, I’m in the market for a puffy jacket and I plan to utilize the down shirt as well. I’m almost wondering if all I really need is the Kuiu Ultra down jacket (pair it with the down shirt on really cold days) or whether I ought to step up to the Ultra Down Pro jacket? I would think that the Ultra Down Pro over my down shirt would certainly give me warmth comparable to the Kifaru LPP, or ‘no?’ I really love Kifaru products but it really hard to beat the weight reduction of the down jackets and they sure do pack down tiny in your hunting pack or day pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
My comments are specific to the new superdown pro. It is more durable though would still recommend brush bating with. It is double the warmth of the original superdown.

wapitibob

WKR
Are people referring to the Kuiu Ultra jackets or the Kuiu Pro jackets? Since they’re pretty different jackets, I’m trying to figure out some of the replies. I’m wondering is some of the comments about the Kifaru being warmer are referring to the Kuiu Ultra or the Kuiu Pro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Super Down Pro has 5 oz of fill, the Sitka has 8. The Sitka is $250 on camofire, $272 elsewhere. I'll take the weight and warmth of the Sitka. The Trewgear Super Down is nearly identical to the Kuiu, made by the same people but with more fill (7.7 oz). And less money than the Kuiu.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really like the SKRE ptarmigan puffy it's a quality piece for non hooded. I went to the sitka Kelvin lite hoody for the hood. I really enjoy a hood when I'm glassing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk