Quiet rain gear

Yes, I have used the search function, and still not satisfied.

What I have now is the Carinthia TRG jacket, which was very expensive, military grade sold here in europe. It is goretex, very protective and robust, but very LOUD.

Given price points, I am considering the Swazi Tahr, norrona dovre dri3, or a kuiu offering. Would love to get a sitka in the badass ground forest camo, but am unwilling to spend that much, simply put.

I understand the swazi would probably be the quietest, but reading some of the New Zealand forums where they actually use this thing alot, there have been some serious complaints regarding breathability.

The questions are: diffference between kuiu chugach nx and yukon: is the yukon worth the extra money? I am in a thick, brushy forest, like British Columbia.

How would you compare the sound of either kuiu garment to a high end goretex hardshell? Or a typical "REI Type" rain jacket?

The norrona is quiet, and semester durable but the reviews arent so great in terms of staying dry. Scandinavian garments tend to be ultra heavy as well, a bit overkill as I dress on layering principles.

How do the kuiu rain garments feel when drawing a bow?

Thanks

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

OP
S
Bump... Anyone that can tell me how the noise level of kuiu yukon and/or chugach compares to typical gore tex rain shells?

IdahoElk

WKR
Core 4 element Rain Torrent has been the quietest rain gear I've owned.I also have Yukon and Chugach and they are equal in noise and not as quiet as rain torrent,I would think they are about the same as Goretex.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Using the Sitka Downpour series which has a fuzzy very quiet outer Gortex material. Works well for bowhunting.

boom

WKR
the Chacuch isnt that quiet. but in rain, the actual rain noise is the blessing. i found that it drowns out a lot.

(same goes for wind - i Love a breeze while stalking)

JP100

WKR
Bump... Anyone that can tell me how the noise level of kuiu yukon and/or chugach compares to typical gore tex rain shells?

For the conditions you describe Id go Yukon, or maybe one of the offerings from Sitka. The Chugach is too thin if you are scrub bashing.

I have the Swazi Tahr Anorak,Kuiu Chugach,Stoney Creek Glaisnock, an older Gore TeX jacket, and used Earth Sea Sky Guide Zeal alot. Yet to find a jacket I am happy with.

The Kuiu Chugach is good for open country and if you look after it, scrub bashin it wont last long, I wrecked my Chugach pants in 2 trips.
The Kuiu rain gear is a bit more 'rubbery' than gore tex and stretches well. these factors reduce noise. The issue I have with the Kuiu(and most north american designed rain gear) is the length and pocket placement. The pockets on Kuiu gear is stupid, its designed for back pack hunting yet you cant get to the pockets with a pack on("innovation"). The zippers on the pockets are nicely place so your waist belt pushes them into your hips unless you have them done up. The short length is not that good for bending/moving through wet bush and in heavy rain with wind. Usually get wet around the waist and down your ass,

The problem with soft face rain wear(like Swazi and some Sitka,Ridgline,Stoney creek etc) Is that the soft face generally reduces breath-ability and adds weight(especially when wet) and slows down the dry times. The thicker the fabric is regardless of type the less it breathes, but the more durable it is.

I am about in the same place as you, stuck for rain gear haha.

Very hard to find something that works in all conditions. I would also try and look at some more 'rubber' type jackets. Have worked with guides in BC with Helly Hanson rubber type rain gear and it was durable and pretty quite(stretchy rubber). Not sure how breathability was.

There is a soft face light jacket from Cabelas, I dont know the name but have had 2-3 clients with it and it seemed to work well, fairly thin though.

Your in Sweden??
The offerings you have in Europe from what ive seen are generally very good and alot of soft face jackets, but most are very heavy and very warm. So maybe not the best for active hunting??

OP
S
For the conditions you describe Id go Yukon, or maybe one of the offerings from Sitka. The Chugach is too thin if you are scrub bashing.

I have the Swazi Tahr Anorak,Kuiu Chugach,Stoney Creek Glaisnock, an older Gore TeX jacket, and used Earth Sea Sky Guide Zeal alot. Yet to find a jacket I am happy with.

The Kuiu Chugach is good for open country and if you look after it, scrub bashin it wont last long, I wrecked my Chugach pants in 2 trips.
The Kuiu rain gear is a bit more 'rubbery' than gore tex and stretches well. these factors reduce noise. The issue I have with the Kuiu(and most north american designed rain gear) is the length and pocket placement. The pockets on Kuiu gear is stupid, its designed for back pack hunting yet you cant get to the pockets with a pack on("innovation"). The zippers on the pockets are nicely place so your waist belt pushes them into your hips unless you have them done up. The short length is not that good for bending/moving through wet bush and in heavy rain with wind. Usually get wet around the waist and down your ass,

The problem with soft face rain wear(like Swazi and some Sitka,Ridgline,Stoney creek etc) Is that the soft face generally reduces breath-ability and adds weight(especially when wet) and slows down the dry times. The thicker the fabric is regardless of type the less it breathes, but the more durable it is.

I am about in the same place as you, stuck for rain gear haha.

Very hard to find something that works in all conditions. I would also try and look at some more 'rubber' type jackets. Have worked with guides in BC with Helly Hanson rubber type rain gear and it was durable and pretty quite(stretchy rubber). Not sure how breathability was.

There is a soft face light jacket from Cabelas, I dont know the name but have had 2-3 clients with it and it seemed to work well, fairly thin though.

Your in Sweden??
The offerings you have in Europe from what ive seen are generally very good and alot of soft face jackets, but most are very heavy and very warm. So maybe not the best for active hunting??
Yes, that has been my beef with what is offered for clothing here: too damn heavy. It is mostly designed for sitting still. I am looking for something that is good for hiking, active hunting with a pack on, and moving around in general but in thick shit.

As a commercial fisherman, when I read about people, even guides, recommending pvc type rain gear, I just shake my head. Over the years of running my ass all over the deck of a trawler or moving around a fish factory, I have plenty of time in all sorts of that raingear in various weights and fabrics. Have already used it in the woods here in late fall temps doing forest work. My thoughts on that? HELL NO! haha. It makes me feel like I am trapped in a sauna and yet many times on rokslide I see "Helly Hansen Impertech and be done with it!"

Shaking my head!

But thanks for the info on the swazi and kuiu! That helps alot to get an idea of how the material functions.

mcseal2

WKR
I have a First Lite SEAK jacket and Kuiu Yukon pants. Both are fairly loud, about equal in noise in my opinion. They fit well and are comfortable to move in. I got them pretty recently so I haven't needed them in a downpour yet. I wore the SEAK a few days ago alone walking in and over a puffy sitting for whitetail. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it did breathe, there was a stiff wind and I could feel it pretty good. Wouldn't say that about my Impertech it is replacing.

JP100

WKR
Yes, that has been my beef with what is offered for clothing here: too damn heavy. It is mostly designed for sitting still. I am looking for something that is good for hiking, active hunting with a pack on, and moving around in general but in thick shit.

As a commercial fisherman, when I read about people, even guides, recommending pvc type rain gear, I just shake my head. Over the years of running my ass all over the deck of a trawler or moving around a fish factory, I have plenty of time in all sorts of that raingear in various weights and fabrics. Have already used it in the woods here in late fall temps doing forest work. My thoughts on that? HELL NO! haha. It makes me feel like I am trapped in a sauna and yet many times on rokslide I see "Helly Hansen Impertech and be done with it!"

Shaking my head!

But thanks for the info on the swazi and kuiu! That helps alot to get an idea of how the material functions.

Good to know on the rubber gear. Like I say Ive never used it, just worked with guys that have.
When I was glacier guiding on 'rain' days we would wear 2 jackets if possible, one was a rubber type(the client jackets) then our 'breathable' ones over the top.(we were not aloud to wear the client jackets).
I honestly have not seen breathable rain gear that functions well in extreme wet climates, regardless of type. Some of these days we would get 200-250mm per day(8-10 inches).

The search continues haha