Medium Weight Layer Help

Really missing that Mid weight layer in my clothing system right now.

Considering:
Sitka Kelvin Active Jacket
FL Sawtooth
Kuiu Chinook or Peloton 240

Which one and why? Any other suggestions? Doesn't have to be camo; I've actually been going more solid color lately for dual purpose hiking/camping.

Ideally I'd be using this layer as a hiking to/from jacket for rifle season in CO. Or throw it on under my puffy for those cold sits.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
The sawtooth makes sense for combining a puffy and heavy mid layer. It does a good job of covering multiple conditions. The firearms are cut way too skinny in my opinion, and it can be short/baggy depending on your build. It’s a nice piece with a few tweaks, best hood I’ve ever used.

My vote would be a fleece hoody most days if you’re already bringing a puffy - Sitka core heavy weight, Kuiu 200 or 240.

I don’t think you can go wrong using that kelvin active as a mid/outer layer when it’s cold and you’re hiking. I’d pick that all day over a thin soft shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The peloton is quite so can be worn as an exterior layer along with being durable so will resist snags and tears, along with being warm for its weight. The hoody is a nice addition for providing added warmth when needed.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sitka core heavy weight is my favorite fleece ever. Never leaves my system and rarely comes off my body during the day unless it’s warmer. If you already have a puffy I don’t think I’d go with the active jacket. The sawtooth or Sitka heavyweight hoody makes more sense to me.

Owenst7

WKR
I use a 200 weight 1/4 zip fleece for a second layer. Current one was ~$20 at REI. I've got a polarmax crew neck I like with certain base layers.

I add a Costco/Sam's club down puffy that weighs about 12 ounces over than when it gets down to freezing during the day. If it's a lot colder than that while I'm glassing, I've got a North Face Summit down jacket that I swap with the lightweight puffy.

My rain shell is dark green, and usually the first thing I layer over my base layer, so I don't really care what color anything else is. My puffies are blue and bright red intentionally so I have something high viz in case I am hunting with others and I'm giving hand signals from a spotter, doing a drive, packing out antlers near dumb road hunters, etc.

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
If quick drying and light are a priority, Polartec PowerDry is my favorite fabric for that chore, and can be found on a few different pieces. Basically any 100-200 weight fleece will work though. If it's going to be a work horse that's lived in for days on end, a light-ish wool option is nice, Icebreaker/Ibex/Whatever you prefer. I think you're on a good track. I would personally stay away from anything over about a pound for that niche, but that's just an opinion.

Rwbrew3

WKR
The Sitka fanatics pull over is nice with some features, it’s extremly warm, hooded, built in face mask and hand mittens with kangaroo pocket.
This under a puffy and your set, or by itself when it is not overly hot/cold !

OP
A
Thanks for the input all. I am staying away from hoodie type options as I want to be able to shed it/vent when needed. Has anyone used the Kelvin Active Jacket? Likes/dislikes?

mtnkid85

WKR
I have two go to mid layers and after this year I think I found a third.

Patagonia R1. Just your basic lightweight fleece, I run the hoody but its available as a zip up no hood also. I wear it 100% all the time, for chilly alpine starts in August all the way through february ski tours.

Patagonia Nanopuff. This is a big step up in warmth and wind blocking. Cant be real active in it though or you'll sweat it out. My goto for long glassing sessions, as a summer insulation puffy, Jan/feb coyote calling.

And finally the Patagonia Nano-air Light. This was the piece I was needing to bridge the gap. Still a big step up in warmth from the R1, but with the breathability to be able to wear it all day. Ive only had this one for ~6mos but so far Im pleased with it. Still too warm for all day in September but just about right for the colder days in Oct/nov. This is the LIGHT version which comes with ~2/3 less insulation and a more breathable back panel than the regular nano air jacket.

So there you have three different options from a company that you didn't ask about... ;)

danarnold

WKR
Sitka core heavy weight is my favorite fleece ever. Never leaves my system and rarely comes off my body during the day unless it’s warmer. If you already have a puffy I don’t think I’d go with the active jacket. The sawtooth or Sitka heavyweight hoody makes more sense to me.

Pretty much this ^^^^ love my core heavy weight hoodie but it isn't light or packable....active is great but wouldnt want to bust brush with it, light and packable tho

ks.snow

FNG
Pretty much this ^^^^ love my core heavy weight hoodie but it isn't light or packable....active is great but wouldnt want to bust brush with it, light and packable tho

X3 on the Sitka Core Heavy weight hoodie. Really like mine so far. I'd say stika core hw, the patagonia r1, or kuiu peleton 240 would be my choice for a mid layer. Go fleece over a soft shell jacket.

Lawnboi

WKR
Sitka traverse hoody goes everywhere with me. Will be replaced with a heavyweight core hoody when it dies and that will also go everywhere with me. The traverse is definetly more abrasion resistant. Great piece I find myself wearing a lot.

I have a heavyweight zip tee I use a lot in the stand as well.

When my wife comes, she takes possession of the traverse hoody, it's that good of a piece.

Last edited:
OP
A
Looks like I might have to seriously consider the Sitka HvyWght Core Hoody now. But the Peloton 240 is full zip so I'm leaning towards that. Either way; think it's down to those 2.

Studd muffin

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Peleton 240 hoodie. I can run a Core4Element puffy under it. Makes for a nice warm system. I do not have any experience with the other jackets mentioned, but I like the peleton one.

I don’t care for the fit of the sawtooth, I should have gone up a size. I usually use fleece as a mid layer.

Had to do exactly this too.
The sawtooth is a strange fitting garment, but can be more of a stand alone base, mid or outer.
For a decent mid I like a fleece jacket of vest