First Lite - gear you wish they would make!

Felix40

WKR
One more vote for longer torsos and zip off base layers.

Hope to see their prices come down some too. They have gone up a lot in the last few years. Ive ended up with more Kuiu than FL for all of these reasons.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Ok, not what you asked for b/c I dont own any firstlite except their boxers, but these are mods I'd like from Sitka and Kifaru:

Sitka -

Ascent pants - why no back pockets??? WTF? I love those pants, until I go to slip something in my back pocket.

Timberlines - only one back pocket? Really want the other one there too.

Base layer bottoms - come out with some full zip-off bottoms like kuiu carries. Love that idea and I don't understand why all these companies, especially firstlite since merino base layers is their thing, don't make these.

Waders - I keep waiting for Sitka to release their own waders to compliment their waterfowl line.

Upland - also think these guys could do well if they put some time and effort into developing a line of upland performance clothing.

Kifaru:

Add some puffy pants and booties to compliment the lost park parka.

Tut - Give the option to upgrade the Tut with dual entries. In warm weather, it gets pretty stuffy in there. Could also benefit from increased ventilation. Add a third attachment point for the integrated clothesline, opposite the stove jack. This would make hanging damp clothing much safer by keeping garments much further away from the hot stove pipe.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Agree on the Ascent pants not having a back pocket, aaaaaaaaand get ready to open your pocketbook in 2018 if you are wanting waders...

boom

WKR
zip off base layer bottoms?

why? your outside pants would also need to zipoff right?

i think i would hate feeling a fastener running down the side of my legs.

sneaky

"DADDY"
To each his own I guess. I love the zips offs and find them very convenient. This past year I found myself zipping them off around 10 everyday, and it was a big plus that I didn't have to take off my boots. For elk hunting, I will never own a pair without the zip off system again. The extra zipper weight is so minute, and I would argue that its a much bigger pain to take off a set of bottoms without zippers then with them.

Every zip off pant, or base layer I've tried has the zipper right across my kneecap when I'm kneeling. You can have that garbage. I see no need in zip off lightweight, or midweight merino base layers. I wanna strangle the designer every time that zipper digs in across my knee.

twall13

WKR
zip off base layer bottoms?

why? your outside pants would also need to zipoff right?

i think i would hate feeling a fastener running down the side of my legs.

Kuiu has some zipoff base layers. They are nice because you don't have to take off your boots. Undo your belt, drop your pants, unzip and remove the base layers, pull your pants back up and you are ready to roll. They aren't for everyone, but they have worked well for me. I don't feel the zippers once on and, unlike Sneaky, for me, the zippers don't run in front of my kneecaps when I kneel down so that's been a non issue. I do, however, kneel down on the button used to roll up the pant legs on my Kanab 2.0's and hate that so I get where that comment is coming from!

boom

WKR
Kuiu has some zipoff base layers. They are nice because you don't have to take off your boots. Undo your belt, drop your pants, unzip and remove the base layers, pull your pants back up and you are ready to roll. They aren't for everyone, but they have worked well for me. I don't feel the zippers once on and, unlike Sneaky, for me, the zippers don't run in front of my kneecaps when I kneel down so that's been a non issue. I do, however, kneel down on the button used to roll up the pant legs on my Kanab 2.0's and hate that so I get where that comment is coming from!

thanks for the clarification. makes sense..your pants dont need to be off..just down to the ankles. i get it now.

mcseal2

WKR
-Zip off base layer bottoms
-Hooded Halstead
-Hooded North Branch (why I don't own a North Branch)
-ASAT return to the line-up
-Longer torso length in all top base layers
-Light synthetic hooded DWR wind shirt layer to go over the Chama or Sawtooth. No insulation and not rain gear, just a wind shell with pit zips, 1 chest and 2 side pockets. Keep it reasonably quiet and make it fit so the Ucompaghre can go between it and the Chama or Sawtooth. Maybe this is just a hooded North Branch, I haven't ever got to try the current North Branch.

Good suggestions. For me, most mentioned before:

Tall sizes for tops. My Chama zip is a bit blousy, a tail would suffice
Windshell is a good idea, love my Rab Windveil but wish there were more earth tones available
Merino boxers with a synthetic crotch. Totally shredded my Benmore Aerowool boxers this season.
Mid to heavy weight merino jacket with a windproof layer similar to Windstopper.
Pit zips on the Vapor jacket. This is what has stopped me from picking one up.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pants! Why can’t they make a normal cut and sizing pant out of poly for about $100?

I'm not sure why baselayer pants that do not zipoff even exist anymore.
Cheaper to make and more comfortable. Prefer the non zipper ones, have two pair of kuiu and a couple FL 3/4 length aerowool and I'll wear the first lite first every time.

A waterproof boonie hat and make the brimmed beanie a little smaller. Rest of their stuff is fine by me.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dobermann

WKR
Pants! Why can’t they make a normal cut and sizing pant out of poly for about $100?

Because 4-way stretch nylon is superior ... and there are lots of cheaper earth-tone poly options around? Not being snarky, just wondering if that's the reason ...

OP
D

Dobermann

WKR
A waterproof boonie hat and make the brimmed beanie a little smaller. Rest of their stuff is fine by me.

Yep - a hat that's actually functional for hunting in the sun and/or for long hikes in ... billed/trucker caps are next to useless. Good boonie hats can also be pinned up on one side (like the Aussie 'slouch hat'), allowing them to be used with a bow.

And yes - the 'one size fits none' beanie idea has to change!

Thought of one more;

A greater number of solid colored Red Desert boxers and Dobson boxers and less camo options of the same. They never have the solids in my size and I end up buying camo at +$10-15. Don't need camo underwear.

Yep - a hat that's actually functional for hunting in the sun and/or for long hikes in ... billed/trucker caps are next to useless. Good boonie hats can also be pinned up on one side (like the Aussie 'slouch hat'), allowing them to be used with a bow.

And yes - the 'one size fits none' beanie idea has to change!

Only time I wear a baseball style hat is when it's raining pretty good and I'm wearing a rain jacket with a hood, ball cap keeps the hood out of my eyes. And that brings up another item, removable hoods on rain jackets-I hate hoods.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Because 4-way stretch nylon is superior ... and there are lots of cheaper earth-tone poly options around? Not being snarky, just wondering if that's the reason ...

You’re probably right. They don’t seem to have an interest in making anything “run of the mill” I can respect that.

Benjblt

WKR
-Zip off base layer bottoms
-Hooded Halstead
-Hooded North Branch (why I don't own a North Branch)
-ASAT return to the line-up
-Longer torso length in all top base layers
-Light synthetic hooded DWR wind shirt layer to go over the Chama or Sawtooth. No insulation and not rain gear, just a wind shell with pit zips, 1 chest and 2 side pockets. Keep it reasonably quiet and make it fit so the Ucompaghre can go between it and the Chama or Sawtooth. Maybe this is just a hooded North Branch, I haven't ever got to try the current North Branch.

They would sell so many more North Branch jackets if they had a hood. I would trade in my Kuiu Guide for a North Branch for a hood.

Also, I think they should make a full synthetic base layer system with their 37.5. . . but only as long as it was more economical and durable than their merino stuff.