How do you layer? Help me out.

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt archery season. 2nd season at the latest. I’ve been hunting Colorado, but that’s subject to change.

I’ve been using Under Armor base layers and I’ve been pretty happy with them. I plan on wearing Duluth Trading firehouse pants this year. I’ve been happy with them around the house and at work. I also plan to buy the OR Foray rain gear.

My main questions -
1. What else do I need, some type of mid-weight sweatshirt or similar?
2. Will the Foray jacket be enough for warmth with the base layers and a mid layer?
3. I’ve never bought any Sitka, KIUI, or FL gear, would they have any benefit over the Duluth & UA?
4. On rain pants, would a full zip pair be better than the Foray?

I’d appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes on the sweatshirt for mid later. I'd usually bring a puffy jacket of some sort just in case. I use a black diamond that I got on sale. I wouldn't worry about getting any of the other companies unless your archery hunting, really like their camo or worried about smell(merino), and even then I don't think it matters that much because you have to play the wind anyways.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
90% of my CO archery season is lightweight merino base layer with very thin Microtex Lite shirt and pants. If the mornings are cool I'll wear a microfleece mock-T between the layers up top. And if it gets colder I'll wear a fleece jacket. Sometimes have my rain jacket and down puffy in my pack. I've never used anything more than that during September.

blkqi

WKR
Foray uses a 2-layer GTX (PacLite) that is designed to be extremely light and packable. Do not expect it to provide any warmth except while on the move. Because of the noise, you would only use it in moderate to heavy rain. Also note that 2-later GTX will wet out quickly in continuous heavy rain.

I would definitely bring a mid-layer top that provides wind and water resistance that you will wear most of the time.

The Fire Hose pants would be too heavy for me while hiking. I would prefer a light synthetic pant and a heavier base layer bottom that could be removed in warmer weather.

tttoadman

WKR
I would have no problem hunting in my Duluth dry and the fly, but I wouldn't want anything heavier than that.

I have the Foray pants. I like the 3/4 zip just fine. I agree they do wet out over time, but they dry out quick. they are light enough I hunt in them all day in showery weather(October). I like the Foray because they offer it in the earth brown.

The OR Skyward Jacket gets really great reviews. I personally am totally done with Goretex. I think they are way too proud of themselves for what you get. I was going to look at the Skyward pants also, but they don't even have 3/4 zips. I think they missed the ball on that one.
Men's Skyward Jacket™ - vintage/agate | Outdoor Research

• Banned
OP
C

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
Good info here.

So the only benefit of “hunting pants” is that they’re light weight?

For jackets - I’ll be hiking in and staying a week so I need to be able to stay warm at night. Do you guys recommend taking a light weight rain jacket just Incase of rain, and a Puffy or heavier jacket? Or just the a lightweight rain jacket and multiple layers?

I’ve got buy in the past with a light weight rain jacket and a few layers below, but I’m buying clothes and trying to do it right.

strand

Lil-Rokslider
If I were going in for a week, I'd be carrying a lightweight rain jacket. Definitely add a fleece mid-layer to your system, and I'd recommend at least a lightweight puffy jacket or even a puffy vest depending how early you're going. So a 125 or 145 merino baselayer, fleece midlayer, puffy, and rain jacket is what I run in September and I'm set for any temp swings down to the teens or lower depending how heavy of a puffy jacket I pack. I've never hunted archery in Colorado, but I've hunted archery in western Montana and 2nd and 3rd rifle in Colorado. My recommendations are based on my experience in MT in September. Colorado 2nd rifle, you may see below zero weather or it might not dip below 40 degrees during the entire season so it's tough to say there.

No experience with the Foray line, but I only own full length full zip rain bottoms and that's what I pack with me. If the rain is light enough that 3/4 length bottoms will do, I'd probably skip the rain bottoms altogether for archery elk.

UA long johns are fine, but mine get funky real quick in hot weather. Merino helps with that.

And the benefit of "hunting pants" for me is the stretch and quick drying you get from synthetic or quality merino like the FL Obsidians. Look into the Prana Zion in mud brown or Eddie Bauer guide pants. I have 4 pairs of the Prana Zion's and those things are awesome for warm weather hiking and hunting. They are always on sale somewhere... I don't think I've paid more than $50-60 for a pair.

• Banned
OP
C

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the help. That’s the info I was looking for.

Last time out in early September temps ranged from 15 - 70 degrees.

gelton

WKR
Agree with strand. If you are hunting near the truck the list might be a bit different but if you are backpacking basically the tried and true method is to have:

- a baselayer - underarmour is fine I still use mine
- pants of course - I use prana zions you might have a look at them very comfortable and stretchy and stand up well to brush, I am not sure of the construction of the firehose pants but you want to stay away from cotton.
- a midlayer - some type of polyester or merino - I like the Sitka Traverse (again anything but cotton)
- A puffy - this hardly comes out of my bag but when you need it they are plenty warm
- Rain gear - tops and bottoms - not just for rain but for cold and wind.

I think with that setup you can handle pretty much anything that mother nature can throw at you. Base Layer, Mid Layer, Puffy, Rain Gear...You might also think of some kind of vest - I run a Kuiu Guide Vest for creature comfort mainly which is why my puffy normally stays in the bag.

twall13

WKR
I will second that rain pants can come in handy as a wind blocker. It totally depends on how you hunt. If you are going to spend a lot of time sitting (tree stand, glassing, etc.) they are very nice for the wind blocking abilities. If you are mostly hiking it's not as important for that purpose and you can often get by with just the rain jacket and gaiters, assuming your pants are made from a good, quick drying material.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here’s my layering system from September to about mid-late October for Archery:

First Lite Obsidian - huge fan of these pants for archery and early season in general. Durable and extremely quiet.

First Lite Uncompahgre puffy pants - I just did a review on these but they are AWESOME. I don’t wear a base layer at all until late season because of them, and they’re much warmer than a base layer anyway once you sit down to glass.

First Lite aerowool base layer top - the most comfortable durable and effective merino layers on the market IMO.

First Lite Chama hoody - light weight and thin but warm.

Sitka heavyweight core hoody - I almost never take this thing off unless I’m hiking and it’s warm!

Puffy jacket - first Lite uncompahgre or Kifaru lost park

Rain gear - always a jacket, sometimes the pants based on duration and forecast for the hunt

Good info here.

So the only benefit of “hunting pants” is that they’re light weight?

For jackets - I’ll be hiking in and staying a week so I need to be able to stay warm at night. Do you guys recommend taking a light weight rain jacket just Incase of rain, and a Puffy or heavier jacket? Or just the a lightweight rain jacket and multiple layers?

I’ve got buy in the past with a light weight rain jacket and a few layers below, but I’m buying clothes and trying to do it right.

I love my Duluth firehouse pants, especially fleeced lined ones, but if you really want to wear them in backcountry, wet them out and see how long it takes to walk them dry first.

OP
C

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
I agree on the pants. The Duluth are cotton. I’ll have to look at the Prana Stretch Zion & the FL Obsidian.

I think I’ve got the info I need -
- Base layer (UA)
- Pants (Prana Stretch Zion or FL Obsidian)
- Shirt (Possibly Cabela’s Microtex)
- Midlayer (FL Chama or Sitka)
- Lightweight Puffy (or vest)
- Lightweight rain gear

Looks about right?

Thanks guys.

gelton

WKR
Looks good to me except that you can probably drop the shirt (you will already have a baselayer and a midlayer) and you definitely dont want to drop the puffy, its pretty much mandatory to stay warm...adding a vest would be optional but in addition to not instead of the puffy...

What works for one guy will chill or cook another. Your body type, unique physiology, age, fitness level and other factors will determine what is right for you. That comes with trial and error in the field. It's why we buy so much stuff. LOL

The goal is to stay warm without sweating, harder to do than it sounds. Just peel layers off when you feel like you're too warm after a while you'll have YOUR SYSTEM dialed in.