polartec neoshell hunting clothes

I don't think I have ever seen any posts on here regarding this fabric being used in the hunting clothes industry. It's top end material for other technical backcountry uses and have wondered why. Is anyone aware if any hunting clothes companies that are utilizing it? It's claim to fame is waterproof but extremely breathable.

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
I've used it as my primary shell for several years. Mine is a Westcomb Shift LT. I also have some shell pants in NeoShell but very rarely hunt in them. I think it's a great fabric, but its not magical. I have found it slightly more breathable than eVent, and the stretch is nice. It is reported to not hold up as well (the membrane, not the face fabric) under heavy use and repeated laundering. I've used mine pretty hard without issue to date, but have an eye on it.

OP
darcytribe
I've used it as my primary shell for several years. Mine is a Westcomb Shift LT. I also have some shell pants in NeoShell but very rarely hunt in them. I think it's a great fabric, but its not magical. I have found it slightly more breathable than eVent, and the stretch is nice. It is reported to not hold up as well (the membrane, not the face fabric) under heavy use and repeated laundering. I've used mine pretty hard without issue to date, but have an eye on it.

That westcomb stuff certainly gets impeccable reviews. Good to hear it holds up to hard use. Pretty pricy stuff. I'm wanting to get some ski clothing and it seems like it is the most breathable waterproof material. I have an arcterx Gore-Tex shell but it doesn't breath much and I get quite clammy when wearing it and doing any kind of physical activity. Even in the skiing world there are only a few companies using neoshell even though it seem like from reviews it out preforms gore tex and event. Thanks for some real world feedback!

So to you the difference between breathability in event and neoshell is minimal? Event seems to be more available.

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
It breathes slightly better than up to the 2015 generation of eVent. Around that time eVent rebranded their classic membrane and came out with a suite of membranes, each balancing breathability and water column at a different point. I have not compared the most breathable of those, DV Storm to NeoShell. Numerically speaking it should be similar, but I know enough to know that the 10K/20K/30K g/m2 metric for breathability (moisture vapor transmission rate--MVTR) is only a starting point. CFM (a measure of air permeability, not "breathability") is still higher for Neoshell than any eVent iteration--even the newest. I am beginning to find that CFM ratings are more informative of on the ground performance than MVTR.

As always the weight and weave of the face fabric on the outside of the membrane can matter a lot too. And any wp/b membrane is nearly useless if you don't keep up on DWR treatments. I've always been a big proponent of eVent, and continue to be so. I'd start with the weight, durability, and target features you want in a jacket. Then see if there is an eVent or NeoShell option that fits the bill. Buy the cheapest one. Hope that's useful!