First Lite Uncompahgre Puffy Pant Review, by Jordan Budd

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Hey everyone, the weather has turned cold in most places and warmer clothes are definitely required. Wearing warm clothes is a challenge for active hunters because they don't need the same insulation on the move as they do when they stop to glass. Jordan Budd hunts in every type of weather on the planet and she just finished up her review of the First Lite Uncompahgre Puffy Pant. Check it out to see how they performed for her.

First Lite Uncompahgre Puffy Pant Review - Rokslide

fl-puffy-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

n816kc

Lil-Rokslider
Couldn't agree more with Jordan. My Kryptek puffy pants make cold tree stand sits down right pleasant. They are a staple for cold weather hunts.

carter33

WKR
Anyone have any experience with both the Sitka and first lite puffy pant?

They are at a similar price point and sound extremely similar providing nearly identical capability and weight with slight differences in specific detail such as belt(Sitka) vs Velcro(FL). I am leaning towards the first lite since I would prefer a solid color so I can wear them for activities outside of hunting if desired.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone have any experience with both the Sitka and first lite puffy pant?

They are at a similar price point and sound extremely similar providing nearly identical capability and weight with slight differences in specific detail such as belt(Sitka) vs Velcro(FL). I am leaning towards the first lite since I would prefer a solid color so I can wear them for activities outside of hunting if desired.

My buddy used a pair of sitkas on a recent hunt we did. He ripped them on a stick and it looked like he killed a chicken, then no more insulation in one leg. Point being I don’t think there’s much durability difference between the two. That’s all I can input though.

One thing I prefer about the FL is the synthetic insulation over down insulation which I believe Sitka still uses in theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dameon

WKR
How do they fit? I’m a small in the North Branch pants and I reserve those for the late season. Can I layer these over or under the North Branch? I would like to be able to do both and be able to vent out with my North Branch as my outer layer for when it is cold, windy, and snowing. Basically, I’m looking for ultimate versatility in a puffy pant.

These are really an outer layer, though your NB will be quieter for sure. But these come off and on really fast and easy.
I wear a L to XL in first lite gear. The Coor Guide type Pants I wear a L and the puffy pant I got the XL and it is big, I think I could've gotten the L in it as well and still wore it over the top.

If you wear the puffy under the NB pants you will cook on the walks in and out of the woods.

Dameon

WKR
I was thinking of pairing the Uncompahgre pants with my North Branch for still hunting late season whitetails here in MO. I hunt crowded public land and have the best luck hunting the late season when the weather is bitter cold and nasty. I do alright in my NB setup with two layers of merino, but in case it gets really cold, I’d like to have options. I have the Sanctuary set for hunting from my stand or blind.

If all goes well, I’ll be hunting elk or mule deer in NM next year with my dad. Depending on the tag, I may need puffy pants for long glassing sessions.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
How do they fit? I’m a small in the North Branch pants and I reserve those for the late season. Can I layer these over or under the North Branch? I would like to be able to do both and be able to vent out with my North Branch as my outer layer for when it is cold, windy, and snowing. Basically, I’m looking for ultimate versatility in a puffy pant.

You can definitely layer them over the north branch. I would probably size up for that though given the extra bulk. I wear a size 34 / medium in their pants and I also get a medium in the puffy pants and they fit perfect over the obsidians and guides. But the north branch may be a touch thicker.

N2TRKYS

WKR
You can definitely layer them over the north branch. I would probably size up for that though given the extra bulk. I wear a size 34 / medium in their pants and I also get a medium in the puffy pants and they fit perfect over the obsidians and guides. But the north branch may be a touch thicker.

I believe I would wear a XL in these, but I found some 2XL on sale. Being as though I don't like a tight fit in the legs, do you think this will work? They'll only be used for treestands and glassing out West.

I'm normally a 36, but wear a 38 in Prana Zions cause of the tight legs if that helps.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Especially if you like a looser fit I️ wouldn’t think a 2XL would be a problem for you. If I️ had thicker pants under my mediums I’d be in trouble.. they fit pretty snug around the legs.

My buddy used a pair of sitkas on a recent hunt we did. He ripped them on a stick and it looked like he killed a chicken, then no more insulation in one leg. Point being I don’t think there’s much durability difference between the two. That’s all I can input though.

One thing I prefer about the FL is the synthetic insulation over down insulation which I believe Sitka still uses in theirs.

All of Sitka's current insulated pants are Primaloft. I asked Aron last year and he recommended the Kelvin Lite over the Uncompaghre pants. Primarily for durability, but I think he also said they were warmer. I am still holding out hope for lost park pants though.

choovhntr

WKR
Wore mine this year during the third week of November in MT. Weren’t was warm as I thought they would be and didn’t block the wind as well as I had hoped. That being said, my buddy was wearing the KUIU ones and he felt the same about those. The pants are a little snug over layers so maybe the insulation lost loft and didn’t do it’s job as well? Anyone else have a similar experience? I was swimming the the next size up.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord