Cabela's Berber vs Wooltimate clothing

G'day,

Been looking at the Cabela's wooltimate jacket and the berber fleece jacket and wanting to know what is the difference between the two materials and wether they are worth the purchase?

Thanks

I’ve been using my Berber a lot lately. I absolutely love it. It is incredibly heavy though. I don’t have any experience with the Wooltimate. The Berber has the wind stopper and it is plenty quite to bowhunt with and cuts the wind great. I definitely wouldn’t recommend hiking in the Berber with wind stopper. It’s been worth the price I paid for it on sale. I’ve got the vest, pullover hoody and the pants. Love each piece for stand hunting. Used it this morning and I’ll be using it again in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
I have a wooltimate pullover that I like as well. It's a quiet wool exterior and a micro fleece interior with some sort of windbreaker in between. It's really heavy (think Carhartt jacket heavy) but it gets me similar warmth to my puffy (Kryptek Aquillo) and is much more quiet and durable. I don't use it a ton but it's great for things like coyote hunting where I don't mind the weight but like the wind breaker and quiet fabric.

I will add that it's a wool blend so don't expect pure wool fabric. I think it does a decent job of not stinking but I don't do a ton of strenuous hiking in it either as it's too warm for that unless it's well below freezing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
I have both. They are for extreme cold and low activity. They work similar, the Wooltimate may be a shade warmer. It has been getting into the 20's this week with wind chills in the teens and I haven't broke them out for whitetail hunting yet while hunting every day. They suck to walk in and I have lighter, less bulky options I can put in the pack that I can put one once I get close to my hunting location.

I love my Wooltimate and Berber for when it's absolutely brutal cold and windy for riding a horse, ATV, or sitting. Anything short of that and they are to darn hot. Not much I've found warmer for the money though, I use mine a lot when we are calving cows in brutal cold.

The system below works for me in a lot of climates hunting, mixing and matching layers as the conditions demand. It is damn expensive though even buying everything on sale over time.

UPPER BODY
A First Lite Aerowool base layer
First Lite Sawtooth jacket
Sitka Jetstream Lite Vest
Kuiu Kenai puffy OR Sitka waterfowl puffy (1lb heavier and more insulated than the Kenai, less breathable)
Either a Krypek Dalibor II jacket or if it's really wet a First Lite Seak jacket for a top layer

I can be very active in some combination of the first 3 and warm when inactive with the last 2.

LOWER BODY
First lite Aerowool boxers
Kryptek merino base layer, Kuiu Pendleton zip off base layer, or nothing
Kuiu Kenai zip off base layer (when stopped and glassing for a while)
First lite Obsidian pants (or if stand hunting and leaning forward a lot Sitka Celcius bibs)
Kuiu Yukon pants (only if it's damn cold and also wet)

OTHER
Mild - Sitka Core gloves
Mid season - Sitka Traverse gloves
Cold Kuiu Glassing mittens or Aleyeskan wool gloves over Sitka Core gloves
First Lite merino baklava under hood
Darn tough full cushion boot socks
HPG mountain serape if it's real cold and I think the 40oz is worth it for the dead air space and warmth.

Probably more info than you wanted, but that's what I use hunting now. I retired the Berber and Wooltimate to keeping me warm on the horse or UTV when calving. Hunting I sweat to much moving and then froze when stopped with them.

KurtR

WKR
The Berber with wind stopper is good down sub zero but as said is heavy. I have worn mine ice fishing alot and never got cold

I have the berber fleece hooded sweatshirt and really like it for low exertion outings. I bought mine several years ago and do not believe it has the windshear layer. The sweatshirt breathes decently without it but is rather bulky. I can layer under it, but not over. For me, it has become a standard for hanging out at camp or hunting from a stand/blind. It's not much of a hiking garment though. I've been looking at the Sitka traverse or gradient sweatshirts to fill it's gap for more active pursuits.

LostArra

WKR
For cold weather treestand hunting the wooltimate is perfect. I'm sure the Berber is good too. I have jacket, pants and vest. I wear the vest the most and just picked up another in the classifieds. My adult daughter started bowhunting and snagged my original. As most good products from Cabelas they will probably discontinue it at any time so I wouldn't wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk