Merino base layer weight?

Advice time! I’m sure this has been discussed in depth and I know it will depend on situation but I really don’t want to buy every merino base layer out there so here goes...

Recently on a hunt to Kodiak I found that all I could wear due to climate and activity layer was my kuiu Yukon rain gear and base layer. My base layer is currently Under Armor cold gear. After about the first 100 yards in Kodiak my undies would be soaked with sweat. The UA would not dry out quickly enough and I would get cold glassing after the climb. Fortunately I had my insulation gear in my pack to throw on and cut some of the chill.

Primarily i hunt in Texas and a lot of the time it is sitting in a tripod, deer blind, or riding in the back of a truck.

After Kodiak, I would like to upgrade to merino but don’t know which weight garment to get. I’d be interested in brands too. I currently invested in kuiu but not sold on the 3/4 bottoms...I do have the kenai as an insulation layer however.

Thoughts? 145? 200? Etc?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the role of a base layer is to move moisture and dry quickly- you want the lightest base layer you can find to most effectively accomplish this

I've also found that a mix of merino and synthetic is superior to straight 100% wool, with some syn mixed your base layer will dry quicker and be more durable. Something in the ballpark of 65% merino/35% syn is what I've found to be close to optimum.

I don't know the specs of all the "hunting" merino layers out there, but should be readily available- I use Patagonia's Merino 1 base layers (they come in neutral colors)- very light and 65/35 ratio. I highly advise looking at the specs (and reviews) before purchasing- if they don't have the specs- ask for them.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like a light layer about 145 or so. Then layer another shirt of about the same weight if needed. Wool doesn’t dry very fast but a thin layer dries out ok.

For bottoms the lighter the better for me as they can easily become too warm. Then add puffy pants for cold stationary sits. The zip off Kuiu bottoms are genius in my opinion but they are known to be cut very tight. I have the now discontinued kenai pants and love them. They aren’t cut as tight and the 3/4 length doesn’t bother me after getting used to it.

X2 for merino blend. My only experience is with a paradox brand shirt. It’s only about 15% merino and the poly has an odor treatment. My guess is it’s about a 150 weight. I liked enough that I sold my Kuiu 125. They don’t come in camo but I have a very light Sitka hoody to over it if I want camo.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I wear 150-170g weight 100% merino up top, but I can only find Tall bottoms in 230g weight.......so that's what I wear. My legs are less sensitive to temps (high or low) so not a big deal for me and will use these for chasing antelope in hot temps in August as well as chasing elk in September and all the way through the cold temps in November and December. My legs don't sweat as much as my torso so not a big deal.

But if I could find 170g weight in a Tall that fit, I'd use those.

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
I tend to agree with mtwarden, but do use straight wool sometimes too. Patagonia and Rab Meco are good blends. When straight wool I prefer 150-ish weight. There is a lot of personal preference to it.