You don't want your gloves to fit like a glove!

My daughter and I went out to look at Christmas lights over the weekend and when she mentioned her hands were cold I gave her some advice on gloves that I thought would be useful for my fellow Rokslide denizens.

You don't want your gloves to fit like a glove. The expression, "fits like a glove" usually means that it is a snug fit. Unfortunately, that is NOT what you want in a pair of cold weather gloves or mittens. I always buy gloves or mittens that are one size larger than what would "fit like a glove". And this is why...

Your hands stay warm only if they have an adequate flow of warm blood running through them and only if there is enough air in the glove for your hands to heat and insulation to keep that warm air inside next to your skin.

If the glove is snug to your hand you don't have any of these. A snug or tight fit will make it more difficult to get good circulation in your hands. That will cut down on how warm your hands are. A snug fit precludes having the extra space in your glove for the extra air you want to warm up. A snug or slim fitting glove will often not have adequate insulation either, which defeats the purpose of warming the air inside of the glove or mitten.

So, end of rant, end of lesson, end of whatever you want to call this. If your hands are still cold with your current gloves or mittens, try going up one side and see if it doesn't solve the problem. Staying hydrated and having enough of the right kind of calories on board to generate body heat is another part of the problem/solution, but that will have to wait for another post.

Regards,

Larry Schwartz

N2TRKYS

WKR
My daughter and I went out to look at Christmas lights over the weekend and when she mentioned her hands were cold I gave her some advice on gloves that I thought would be useful for my fellow Rokslide denizens.

You don't want your gloves to fit like a glove. The expression, "fits like a glove" usually means that it is a snug fit. Unfortunately, that is NOT what you want in a pair of cold weather gloves or mittens. I always buy gloves or mittens that are one size larger than what would "fit like a glove". And this is why...

Your hands stay warm only if they have an adequate flow of warm blood running through them and only if there is enough air in the glove for your hands to heat and insulation to keep that warm air inside next to your skin.

If the glove is snug to your hand you don't have any of these. A snug or tight fit will make it more difficult to get good circulation in your hands. That will cut down on how warm your hands are. A snug fit precludes having the extra space in your glove for the extra air you want to warm up. A snug or slim fitting glove will often not have adequate insulation either, which defeats the purpose of warming the air inside of the glove or mitten.

So, end of rant, end of lesson, end of whatever you want to call this. If your hands are still cold with your current gloves or mittens, try going up one side and see if it doesn't solve the problem. Staying hydrated and having enough of the right kind of calories on board to generate body heat is another part of the problem/solution, but that will have to wait for another post.

Regards,

Larry Schwartz

Would you call Kuiu and every other hunting clothing business that only offers an athletic fit type clothing? Lol

OP
L
Yup same with socks and boots too (at least when it comes to cold feet).

Good point. Yep, it applies to any clothing, puffy jackets and base layers too. But, stuff we put on our extremeties (head, hands, feet) are the main areas we screw with fit for cold weather.

Larry Schwartz

twall13

WKR
I agree with this wholeheartedly on gloves. I've often wondered about the science behind "compression socks" that are supposed to promote better blood flow to your legs and feet. I haven't dug in to it enough to speak intelligently on the matter but it seems like a compression fit would restrict blood flow to me. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the matter can enlighten us? What I do know is that my hands stay warmer when the gloves aren't tight (I've done it both ways...).

jtw

WKR
I wear compression ski socks for climbing and snowshoeing and they keep me warmer than loose fitting thicker socks. They’re compression over the calf then fitted in the foot. Np idea about science behind it so take my experience anecdotally.

I think boot size has more to do with it. My feet will freeze in a boot that’s too small.

OP
L
Would you call Kuiu and every other hunting clothing business that only offers an athletic fit type clothing? Lol

You can still order a size larger in everything that is cold related. About the only item that would be a problem might be pants.

Larry

OP
L
I agree with this wholeheartedly on gloves. I've often wondered about the science behind "compression socks" that are supposed to promote better blood flow to your legs and feet. I haven't dug in to it enough to speak intelligently on the matter but it seems like a compression fit would restrict blood flow to me. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the matter can enlighten us? What I do know is that my hands stay warmer when the gloves aren't tight (I've done it both ways...).

twall13,

Compression socks are designed to keep blood and fluids from gathering in your lower legs and feet. They are not designed to restrict blood flow, they are designed to help blood flow.

Larry S