Baselayer for horseflys

I was wondering... What do you use when out during warm weather that is thick enough to keep horseflys from biting you? I love me a good merino baselayer, but in the summer, I am usually wearing a t-shirt and thick cotton long sleeve collared shirt, for keeping these insects away. I am wondering what works for others.

Thanks

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

I remember reading about navy seals in Vietnam wearing long johns to keep the mosquitoes from biting them and to keep leeches off. I know mosquitoes ain’t horseflies but that’s all I got

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Anything thick enough to keep a horsefly from biting me would be too thick for me for summer use......that's all I know. Around here the horseflies aren't that big a deal. The flies themselves are huge, but they generally leave me alone. The deer flies on the other hand leave nasty welts and they don't care what I'm wearing. But at least they actually land, so I can kill them.......as opposed to those knats and other bugs that buzz around your head constantly.

OP
S
Anything thick enough to keep a horsefly from biting me would be too thick for me for summer use......that's all I know. Around here the horseflies aren't that big a deal. The flies themselves are huge, but they generally leave me alone. The deer flies on the other hand leave nasty welts and they don't care what I'm wearing. But at least they actually land, so I can kill them.......as opposed to those knats and other bugs that buzz around your head constantly.
Well, that's why I was asking... Horseflys deerflys and mosquitoes are a real problem, and anyone who spends time in high latitudes knows what I mean. I deal with it by wearing thicker clothes but I sweat like crazy. Just curious as to what everyone else does to cope.

Thanks for the responses!

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Well, that's why I was asking... Horseflys deerflys and mosquitoes are a real problem, and anyone who spends time in high latitudes knows what I mean. I deal with it by wearing thicker clothes but I sweat like crazy. Just curious as to what everyone else does to cope.

Bug repellent.......DEET.

I also wear a head net if needed.

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
You can try Permethrin treated clothing. I wear it (military issue OCP FRACUs) during turkey season (May) here in NH and while the bugs aren't too bad yet it does seem to help; not a tick on me since starting to wear this turkey hunting and biting bugs don't seem to want too much to do with me either. You can find all kinds of lighter wear that is treated that would be appropriate for summer activates. DEET repellant can help and you could try a Therm-a-cell unit as well. Good luck.

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
Permethrin soak on clothing works great and will kill the flies/mosquitoes/ticks when the land on your clothes, but is not necessarily a repellent.

Use that in combination with a picaridin repellent on your skin. Much less odor compared to deet and works great.

I use that combo for spring turkey hunting as well as fishing the Boundary Waters in northern MN.