Puffy jacket - hooded or hoodless?

I’m thinking about buying a puffy jacket (probably down) and I can’t decide whether to get one with a hood or not. I’m normally not a big hood wearer and often find myself wishing my branded hoodies didn’t have the hood. Lol! However, on occasion, I will use a hood and actually enjoy it. Now that I’m considering a puffy jacket for sleeping in cold weather as well as for layering when the temps drop unexpectedly or glassing on a really cold morning, I’m really torn whether or not to get one with a hood or not. I guess my real question is whether a hood on a puffy jacket (like the Kuiu Ultra down or the FL Uncompaghre) is uncomfortable to have down inside a outer jacket? Or, do you just not really feel it back there?

I’m kinda leaning towards getting a Kuiu Ultra down jacket without a hood and then buying a separate down hood from someone else - for use when I really need it. But, if y’all tell me that the hoods don’t get bulky behind you neck or get in your way (like carry a heavily loaded pack) when they’re not up over your head, I may just try one. I do wish there were more options for hoods that are removable. Lol! I’m open to suggestion, though.

While I’m at it, anyone have a (camo version) alternative to the Kuiu Super Down Pro jacket? I like the more durable fabric so that it can be worn as outerwear and not babied like many other UL down jackets but WHOA, the price is CRAY-ZEEE! I don’t mind paying for quality but that’s kinda over the top.

2blade

WKR
I used to not like having a hood but earlier this year I bought a FL Uncompaghre. It completely changed my mind on hoods, I wouldn't be without it now. It seems to be warmer than when using a beanie and when I don't need it, I can't tell its there, even with a pack on my back.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Think warmth when buying down. Go with the hood👍 You won’t regret it. If cold enough for the down it will provide another high percentage and if hood not needed simply down pull it up.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would also recommend the hood. If you are not using it, it isn't in the way. And if you are packing, I can't imagine even wearing a puff jacket as you would be to hot in 99% of the situations. And if you are using it to supplement your sleep system, if you don't use the hood, you can lay on it to add more protection from the ground.

FlyGuy

WKR
I think the answer depends on what you are using the puffy for. If I'm sitting in a deer stand I hate wearing hood b/c it blocks my perrifial vision and muffles too much sound, and those are two of the most critical senses used in that situation. Instead I'll use a baclava or the tight, thin, fitted hoodie on the Sitka fanatic.

If, however, you are using a puffy long for glassing sessions over a large basin where hearing the lightest twig snap or being able to catch the slightest movement out of the corner of your eye is not nearly as important as just staying warm and extending your glassing session is, then I want a hoodie on my puffy. I find them to be much warmer. Not sure why but I think it has something to do with the additional airspace around your neck that warns quickly and helps to insulate those big arteries.

You won't be hiking around for long with a puffy on, so I don't think the unused hood back there will be an issue. I also like having the hoodie on around camp early am/late evening. I want to conserve as much warmth as possible during those periods of low activity before bed, and I want to get warm quickly when I climb out of the bag in the morning.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

I would also recommend the hood. If you are not using it, it isn't in the way. And if you are packing, I can't imagine even wearing a puff jacket as you would be to hot in 99% of the situations. And if you are using it to supplement your sleep system, if you don't use the hood, you can lay on it to add more protection from the ground.

I kinda feel this way. I have the uncomphargen. Like the hood. Find I use it more than I thought I would. Truth is, once I had a jacket with a hood, I started liking it a lot. Can’t think of anytime it bothers me and I don’t use it quite a bit.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like hoods on just about every upper layer; on a puffy I think they are almost requisite- I would have been cold (and sad :)) many, many times without a hood on my puffy

As mentioned above, you're likely not going to be hiking with your hoody- rest stops, glassing and as you mention, to possibly supplement your sleeping system- all things you want a hood

gelton

WKR
Not a fan of hoods either. I use a balaclava when needed acts like a hood but goes in my pack when not in use. Some love em and some hate em I happy to be in the latter. Also - you can use a beanie or balaclava while sleeping without having to put on a puffy to use the hood.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ same with my windshirt with a hood- I didn't like that fact that it effectively cut the wind that went right through my fleece beanie and was making my head hurt- so I cut it off to save 0.2 oz. useless hood

OP
BrushyHillGuide
Thanks for the replies, folks! FlyGuy nailed my biggest complaint about hoodies. Especially as a whitetail and predator guide- sounds are muffled. That said, I’m open to learning and since I’m doing more mountain hunting again, I think I’ll follow the herd and try a hooded puffy. Lol! If I don’t like it, it’ll end up in the classifieds and I’ll swap to a hoodless version.

Thanks for all the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
I agree. My rain jacket has a hood and I didn't like it stopping the rain, so I cut off my hood on my rain jacket. Now it's much better. The rain now runs down my back and chest. Useless hood.

Why do you let the rain run down your back and chest? My rain coat doesn't have a hood and I don't have rain running down my back and chest. I guess if you like that, keep rocking it.

Dameon

WKR
I run a hood on my puffy and rain gear. The hood on the uncompahgre is great for breaking the wind. I take the hood off my soft shells and just use the one on my Chama if I need a hood. When whitetail hunting, I only use my brimmed beanie and neck gaiter. I’ve never used the hood on my Sanctuary jacket. I just got the Tundra balaclava to try for the late season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tttoadman

WKR
Not a fan of hoods either. I use a balaclava when needed acts like a hood but goes in my pack when not in use. Some love em and some hate em I happy to be in the latter. Also - you can use a beanie or balaclava while sleeping without having to put on a puffy to use the hood.

This is where I am at. I have never had a puffy with a hood, so I may be missing out. If I ever wear out my down jacket, I will consider one with a hood.

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
Hood for sure. It's about the highest value per ounce warmth you can get.

elkyinzer

WKR
I want a hood on my raingear, and that's it. They make hats and neck gaiters for warmth, the rest are just bulk to get in the way.

frankrb3

WKR
I like a hood too. I just wish every jacket with a hood came with a storage system so you could neatly store it when not in use. I have a happy suit top (puffy jacket issued in the marine corps) which has a hood storage and I love it. It just rolls up and tucks under a flap which is secured by hook and look. Easy to deploy while wearing it, but looks like a thick neck collar when not is use.

I am firmly in the middle on hoods. If the hood is designed well I like it. The uncompaghre works well for me. If the hood is not designed that well I don't wear it. I rarely wear the hood with my Kifaru.

Esse quam videri