2018 for First Lite...30 new pieces.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Hmm. Generally I'd prefer nylon to polyester for greater breathability and faster drying. But in this instance I'm not sure. The aerowool had 37.5 cocona, actual active transport of moisture, not just passive breathability. I know from experience the 37.5 in poly is way more breathable than any nylon I've ever worn. And it's crazy fast drying. As fast as any nylon pieces I've worn. I no longer see first lite listed as a partner on cocona's website. Makes me think the switch to nylon was not for the good of the product, but a result of losing partnership with cocona, and knowing nylon would be as close as they can get (but maybe not quite as good) to polyester with 37.5. That would also explain the need to come out with THIRTY new products. That's almost an entirely new line. Which also lines up with them saying they will offer never before seen low prices on 2017 line. I love first lite, but if it does turn out they no longer have 37.5, I'll be pretty skeptical about buying anything but straight Merino, or corrugates (already nylon) pants from them in the future. Definitely will buy just a little until I get familiar with new fabrics, at least.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

All the pieces I have including the aerowool say 37.5 on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
FYI, First Lite is still under partners. Cocona rebranded to 37.5

Partners - 37.5(R) Technology
I swear they weren't there yesterday. 🤷Switch to nylon with 37.5 still incorporated is definitely a major improvement. Not enough to get me to buy new pieces before my old stuff is worn out, but definitely a nice upgrade for the future.

HeadnWest

WKR
Aron and Kifarucast has an Instagram video out right now going over a 3 piece layering system from FL. Looks to be Nylon integrated with the Merino. No word from him on whether 37.5 was involved.

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
Aron and Kifarucast has an Instagram video out right now going over a 3 piece layering system from FL. Looks to be Nylon integrated with the Merino. No word from him on whether 37.5 was involved.
Is he losing his Sitka sponsorship or something?

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider
I could care less what they make, I’d just like some merino that’s a little more durable and a sizing chart that is a bit more accurate.

Merino will never be more durable unless it’s a blend, that’s the nature of the beast unfortunately. That’s the major downfall. Good, comfortable merino won’t be durable.

Merino will never be more durable unless it’s a blend, that’s the nature of the beast unfortunately. That’s the major downfall. Good, comfortable merino won’t be durable.

You are probably right about the durability, but if that’s the case maybe they shouldn’t cost so much. It’s hard to justify the expense of their merino base layers when it’s wearing out after a couple of seasons.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine say 37.5 as well. I have to say that the one that’s similar to the Chama hoody fits one hell of a lot better than the “old” Chama. Much better cut.

SUMMIT75

WKR
I have been on the R&D product testing group for the Catalyst Soft Shell system. One of the best jackets I have ever worn. Up there in terms of design like the Timberline Jacket from Sitka. Super packable and cuts wind quite well. One very impressive feature was its breathability and how well it shed light rain and snow. Going to be a huge hit!! Plus the construction was bombproof and seemed a little more robust in terms of material durability than other ultra light soft shells on the market. Also it was surprisingly quite. Both the jacket and pants are going to rate up there as some of the nicest pieces for those categories.

OP
G

gearjunkie

Lil-Rokslider
I wish they would announce the lineup now! I can’t wait any longer! So to recap.

-heavier hooded puffy
-redesigned softshell jacket and pants (jacket has a hood)
-Aerowool now uses nylon and has a heavier version

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
Im not disagreeing with you, but why do you think that?
I'm not sure what you're asking. I don't "think" they're getting rid of 100% wool products, I'm "asking" if they are. I do think that not having the 100% wool products would be a significant loss. You're simply not going to get the same warmth to weight ratio, and nowhere near the warmth when wet, with blended fabrics. I don't think a product that has lasted me two years (probably 25 mountain days, countless winter training runs, and countless upland birds hunts with plenty of thorns and stickers, per year) and is still going strong, suffers from any lack of durability. I'm all about the blend with the hot weather stuff, there is a limit to how thin you can make a pure wool garment and maintain durability. However, with heavier, colder weather items, I see significant negatives: gain in weight for same warmth, less warmth when wet. The positives are of course breathability and dry time. However, I feel breathability/overheating management was perfectly well managed by the ability to layer all the different weight pieces. As far as dry time, in any snow or rain less than what would require the rain shell, I found my wool to dry from my body heat just about as fast as it got wet from rain/snow. I spent many long days in drizzle and snow without a shell, and was always warm and basically dry at the end of the day. Any bit of water the piece would take on did not negative the warming ability whatsoever, so who cared. The current layering system of light aerowool, llano, chama was absolute perfection already, in my book. If they go strictly to blends, that would force me to carry more weight, and more pieces, as I would more often feel a need to bring a rain shell. That would not seem to me to fit the "lite" monicker.

I'd love to see some new offerings in the women's line from both FL and Sitka. I have FL merino that I absolutely love, but would like to see some more outerwear layers in the women's cut.

HeadnWest

WKR
Dplantz, sorry I was not clear with my question. I was just wondering why you thought the loss of 100% wool would suck. You answered my question of your opinion very well. Thanks.