2018 for First Lite...30 new pieces.

Dwight.MT

FNG
Ryan, thanks for being so generous with your scouting information on the new FL gear - I hope you've got patience for another question... I think you said (in the sheep show video) that the Catalyst jacket had some warmth to it(?) I've never been a soft shell guy, mostly because of the low warmth/weight ratio. Too often I feel like I'm keeping a softshell jacket warm instead of the other way around. I do like my KUIU Peloton 240 jacket because it has some warmth to it blocks most of the wind and breathes great. On the other hand it's not a true softshell and has zero moisture resistance. So, to finally get to my question: in your opinion does the Catalyst block the wind well, breathe really well, offer a degree of moisture resistance, AND add some warmth to the mix? Thanks

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Just an FYI the fastest way to lose your Pro discount is to bring it up in the forums. That goes for most companies.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ryan, thanks for being so generous with your scouting information on the new FL gear - I hope you've got patience for another question... I think you said (in the sheep show video) that the Catalyst jacket had some warmth to it(?) I've never been a soft shell guy, mostly because of the low warmth/weight ratio. Too often I feel like I'm keeping a softshell jacket warm instead of the other way around. I do like my KUIU Peloton 240 jacket because it has some warmth to it blocks most of the wind and breathes great. On the other hand it's not a true softshell and has zero moisture resistance. So, to finally get to my question: in your opinion does the Catalyst block the wind well, breathe really well, offer a degree of moisture resistance, AND add some warmth to the mix? Thanks

I should have the video out next week on the Catalyst, Bora, and JetStream.

The Catalyst is very warm and blocks wind very well for not having a dedicated wind laminate. Its seems very breathable. The most impressive part of the catalyst is how light it is and still accomplishes this result. It does have DWR but it's not very water resistance IMO.

Pit zips or not. Great question. We go round and round on this. Pretty much all the high end hunting brands use YKK zippers. Their quality, consistency, and selection is hard to beat. That being said, all zippers, even the best, have inherent problems. They are heavier, louder and have many more moving parts than the fabric they replace. The version of the catalyst that is being tested is about the 5th incarnation of that piece. We started testing it in the fall of 2016. What we found was that after removing the laminate the breathability increased so much that for the very few times a tester wanted them it didn't warrant putting them into production on that piece. I think many people will be surprised by how breathable and windproof this fabric is. That being said comments are truly appreciated. KC

No new solids for this summer. Interested in what solids people would like to see. We really like to use solids which can be used in the field.

First of all, thanks SO much for actually listening to your customers!

I really like the pit zips on some of my jackets as they’re a terrific way to dump a lot of heat quickly; especially with a pack on. That said, your reasoning makes sense (although I haven’t, personally, had much trouble with zippers) and I’m really looking forward to trying/testing the Catalyst! Gotta trust your judgment for now. Lol!

I’m another person that wouldn’t mind having zippers on light and mid weight base layers. Is it a deal breaker for me? No, it isn’t. It’s sure something I’d LIKE to have, though! I’ve been going without them for most of my half century but there are times when weather surprises you or there’s just a big temperature shift that surprises you. Being able to take them off or put them on without removing your boots just make life a little easier. Just like you don’t NEED zips on your rain pants...but they sure are handy. JMO

Solid colors: I wish that you offered a variety of neutral colored (i.e. coyote, darker blown, grey & loden green/OD) solids so that some of your clothing can be used for dual/purpose wear. These days, the performance hunting clothing is suitable for everyday wear (work, play, camping, etc) and some of my favorite clothing I own. If some of your lighter and mid weight clothing was offered in a variety of solid colors, you’d get a lot more business from me; but I’m just not going to wear camo every day. I’m a year-round hunting guide and I get my fill of wearing camo. It’s nice to be able to wear some solids that will work for hunting but, if I need to run to Walmart for camp groceries or to the bank I don’t have to always show up in camo. I’m sure that lots of your customers that would wear their FL clothing on a daily basis if they had non-camo options. I’m definitely not requesting you offer everything in a multitude of solid colors - that’d be an inventory nightmare. However, the more versatile products would certainly be something to look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
It’s literally on their website, hardly a secret..

Yeah... you missed the point! PM me if you want to have a conversation.

Last edited:

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
10eed23dadfb50a1088bc539d5f45c42.jpg

Wore the Catalyst in MX this week. Temps were mid 40s to mid 70s and I basically wore it over a T-shirt most of the time. No durability issues through the nasty brush. I love that jacket.

Benjblt

WKR
I should have the video out next week on the Catalyst, Bora, and JetStream.

The Catalyst is very warm and blocks wind very well for not having a dedicated wind laminate. Its seems very breathable. The most impressive part of the catalyst is how light it is and still accomplishes this result. It does have DWR but it's not very water resistance IMO.

Anymore updates on pricing or when that will be coming out?

NDGuy

WKR
The first rule about Fight Club is....you don’t talk about Fight Club!

Alright fine I edited my reply. In my defense I thought I was on a different first lite thread! Still getting used to tapatalk..haha

josh4839

FNG
I'd rather hear an honest statement then a selling point one any day of the week.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Can anybody confirm if the Catalyst Jacket has a harness pass thru. I assume the video claim to cover western style to treestand hunting that a provision for harness tether pass thru would be a standard feature. It was missed on the earlier sanctuary coat.

SUMMIT75

WKR
Can anybody confirm if the Catalyst Jacket has a harness pass thru. I assume the video claim to cover western style to treestand hunting that a provision for harness tether pass thru would be a standard feature. It was missed on the earlier sanctuary coat.

No sir, mine did not have one, unless the production version has made some changes I do not know of.
d69f6d8fc183a29baada9d15dbde4799.jpg

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody else anxiously checking the First Lite site daily for the 2018 update. . in hopes that maybe they post it earlier than the expected "Early March"?

I'm an addict. I need my juice.

SUMMIT75

WKR

I would say it's a backcountry jacket with obvious practicality for treestand use..ie super quiet material, great articulation and phenomenal wind stopping quality. But it's definitely a jacket more less intended for backcountry application.

I'm definitely going to be rocking mine in my pack starting late Sept when the Corrugate jacket won't suffice as well as in the stand for mid seasons whitetail. Both backcountry and treestand hunters a like will appreciate this jacket.

Thanks for the feedback Hunter4Christ, for dual use a jacket with a hood should have a pass thru or the hood becomes useless. I don’t think it would bother the western guys and here in the South / Southeast, I think this light wind breaking shell with different base layer options will fill the gap that has been missing from FL as our mild weather stretches into December with our heavy pieces really only seeing our most extreme cold (which is laughable to our brothers in the north). I am a FL fan but these are the things that Sitka has over them but I prefer FL fit and patterns. It will be a bummer to have to take this jacket somewhere to have a pass thru added. Making it as comfortable as possible for anyone to use a harness is good marketing. In the video I didn’t see a lifeline and couldn’t tell if the guy was in the lock on with a rock climbing harness attached low but promoting safe treestand hunting is good for everybody.

Last edited:

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback Hunter4Christ, for dual use a jacket with a hood should have a pass thru or the hood becomes useless. I don’t think it would bother the western guys and here in the South / Southeast, I think this light wind breaking shell with different base layer options will fill the gap that has been missing from FL as our mild weather stretches into December with our heavy pieces really only seeing our most extreme cold (which is laughable to our brothers in the north). I am a FL fan but these are the things that Sitka has over them but I prefer FL fit and patterns. It will be a bummer to have to take this jacket somewhere to have a pass thru added. Making it as comfortable as possible for anyone to use a harness is good marketing. In the video I didn’t see a lifeline and couldn’t tell if the guy was in the lock on with a rock climbing harness attached low but promoting safe treestand hunting is good for everybody.

Forgive my lack of experience in treestands. . . but the few times I have been in them I wore the harness over my outer layers. Is that not the recommended technique?

MT_Wyatt

WKR

I for one don’t want a hole back there but I’m on the ground in MT all the time. Which isn’t to say wanting a pass through is wrong. I’m just saying while you may feel strongly about that, there’s plenty of others who will be equally as strong against the idea.

Totally agree Sitka has the “functionality” game dialed. But then again they’ve gone the route of tailored pieces good at certain things (like kuiu, but to a much greater extent) while FL is taking the “less is more” route. They market prioritizing wide functionality over specific pieces. At least that I’ve heard them say.