2018 for First Lite...30 new pieces.

Hunter6

WKR
First lite just posted something on their Instagram. Talking about the new areowool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
Per YouTube videos, yes, nylon aerowool, but they're saying spandex, not nylon, blend for the new heavier weight stuff, calling it a separate, new fabric, Merino x. Just makes it maintain a nice snug fit throughout the day. I can definitely dig that. A tiny bit of Spandex shouldn't hurt the Merino properties any. Damn you and your effects on my pocketbook, first lite!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP
G

gearjunkie

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like the problems like the billowy Chama wil be fixed with spandex. I think this is movement in the right direction.

Benjblt

WKR
I'm not sure what you're asking. I don't "think" they're getting rid of 100% wool products, I'm "asking" if they are. I do think that not having the 100% wool products would be a significant loss. You're simply not going to get the same warmth to weight ratio, and nowhere near the warmth when wet, with blended fabrics. I don't think a product that has lasted me two years (probably 25 mountain days, countless winter training runs, and countless upland birds hunts with plenty of thorns and stickers, per year) and is still going strong, suffers from any lack of durability. I'm all about the blend with the hot weather stuff, there is a limit to how thin you can make a pure wool garment and maintain durability. However, with heavier, colder weather items, I see significant negatives: gain in weight for same warmth, less warmth when wet. The positives are of course breathability and dry time. However, I feel breathability/overheating management was perfectly well managed by the ability to layer all the different weight pieces. As far as dry time, in any snow or rain less than what would require the rain shell, I found my wool to dry from my body heat just about as fast as it got wet from rain/snow. I spent many long days in drizzle and snow without a shell, and was always warm and basically dry at the end of the day. Any bit of water the piece would take on did not negative the warming ability whatsoever, so who cared. The current layering system of light aerowool, llano, chama was absolute perfection already, in my book. If they go strictly to blends, that would force me to carry more weight, and more pieces, as I would more often feel a need to bring a rain shell. That would not seem to me to fit the "lite" monicker.

Ive always thought that merino wasn't warm for its weight and that was generally accepted. I do think it wouild be dumb to get rid of 100% merino.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Benjblt

WKR
Sounds like the problems like the billowy Chama wil be fixed with spandex. I think this is movement in the right direction.
First Lite has a problem with putting too much spandex in it's stuff. 10 % is too much. Hopefully the new stuff has no more than 5 or 6. Spandex eventually fails and I don't like the feel of a lot of it. My Corrugates are awesome but they would be great at about half the spandex. They have 10% I believe. Prana Zooms have 3 and they feel great. What I'm trying say is that a little spandex is nice but there is a sweet spot.

Benjblt

WKR
Aron and Kifarucast has an Instagram video out right now going over a 3 piece layering system from FL. Looks to be Nylon integrated with the Merino. No word from him on whether 37.5 was involved.
It looks like he took them off now.

Thanks for the interest.
Aerowool is 64% 17.5 mic merino 34% 37.5 nylon and 2% spandex
MerinoX is 95% merino 5% spandex.
The goal was to have a minimum Amount of spandex but enough that it holds its shape and has good rebound. thanks

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
First Lite has a problem with putting too much spandex in it's stuff. 10 % is too much. Hopefully the new stuff has no more than 5 or 6. Spandex eventually fails and I don't like the feel of a lot of it. My Corrugates are awesome but they would be great at about half the spandex. They have 10% I believe. Prana Zooms have 3 and they feel great. What I'm trying say is that a little spandex is nice but there is a sweet spot.

The new merino I have has 5% spandex. This is a proto so it could change a little.

The 350 brushed face merino feels and fits much better than the straight merino.

Don't know how well you can see the brushed face.

People are really going to like this piece.

4758be5e2efc69642161688c1731dc77.jpg

0be54246748006d0877c14d47c3a2d87.jpg

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have been on the R&D product testing group for the Catalyst Soft Shell system. One of the best jackets I have ever worn. Up there in terms of design like the Timberline Jacket from Sitka. Super packable and cuts wind quite well. One very impressive feature was its breathability and how well it shed light rain and snow. Going to be a huge hit!! Plus the construction was bombproof and seemed a little more robust in terms of material durability than other ultra light soft shells on the market. Also it was surprisingly quite. Both the jacket and pants are going to rate up there as some of the nicest pieces for those categories.

I totally agree!

I'm not a softshell fan but this jacket is warm, windproof with very little bulk. I found myself wearing this jacket a ton last November as a layering piece.

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
The new merino I have has 5% spandex. This is a proto so it could change a little.

The 350 brushed face merino feels and fits much better than the straight merino.

Don't know how well you can see the brushed face.

People are really going to like this piece.

4758be5e2efc69642161688c1731dc77.jpg

0be54246748006d0877c14d47c3a2d87.jpg

Bringing back a 300+ weight Merino! . I was sure glad I got my chama exp before they got rid of it for 2017. Not my most used, but probably my favorite piece. And 5% spandex is perfect. If that piece is, or comes in, a hoody, ohh sh**! Take my money now!

gdc23

FNG
I totally agree!

I'm not a softshell fan but this jacket is warm, windproof with very little bulk. I found myself wearing this jacket a ton last November as a layering piece.

I am looking for a heavy softshell jacket that features material that is on par with the North Branch, Sitka Jetstream, Kuiu Guide jackets in weight and warmth. Does First Lite have a jacket with this type of material and if so will it feature chest pockets and pit jips like the Sitka and Kuiu offerings ?
Also where online and when will we be able to view the new First Lite offerings

SUMMIT75

WKR
I am looking for a heavy softshell jacket that features material that is on par with the North Branch, Sitka Jetstream, Kuiu Guide jackets in weight and warmth. Does First Lite have a jacket with this type of material and if so will it feature chest pockets and pit jips like the Sitka and Kuiu offerings ?
Also where online and when will we be able to view the new First Lite offerings

The jackets material and build is in between the Sitka Timberline and Kuiu Guide Jacket in terms of weight/material thickness. Its much thinner and ultralight compared to its predecessor the NorthBranch. The material though is where it really shines, it doesn't need the thickness to perform the way it does, absolutely impressive jacket. It's packing down very easily like my Sitka Timberline, not nearly as bulky as the NorthBranch or Jetstream jacket. Has dual very practical chest pockets but not pit zips. I didnt find the jacket to need pit zips. It breathed incredibly well and the material was crazy quiet and flexible.

SUMMIT75

WKR
I totally agree!

Absolutely! I used to not want anything to do with soft shells even in my mountaineering sports, but as the technology has improved, the textiles have become thinner, more packable, better performing and now I keep a ultralight one with me weather hunting or climbing 14'rs and such. It's just nice to have a super quiet piece that doesn't add bulk but cuts the wind and light precipitation when your on the move without crunching like a hard shell or soaking up moisture like a puffy. This jacket will probably see a ton of action over my Timberline Jacket.

Napperm4

WKR
Hoping for a hooded version of the Halstead fleece and possibly some lightweight synthetic base layers for when scent control doesn’t matter in hot weather like turkey hunting. I’m excited to see what they came up with!

Aron had some videos on IG yesterday with a few of the new layering pieces. I was trying to link it but looks like he’s taken them down now.

Anyways one he didn’t say the name of but described it as basically a “hooded halstead”. Looked pretty sweet and I guess that makes 2 of us that are stoked for that piece to come out.

JD619er

WKR
Hey first lite or Ryan! Since your both posting on here I was wondering if first lite is going to offer more specific waist sizes in the pants or perhaps a small tall size offering? I have a 34 in inseam but a 30 waist and would love to have a set of obsidians and corrugates but need a more specific size....hope to hear from you!

Dwight.MT

FNG
Somebody may have already mentioned this above - it's a long thread and I maybe missed it, but I heard First Lite has gone direct sales only (ala KUIU) so no more retail. I called and asked their customer service if the rumor is true and the guy I talked to confirmed it. I asked if that meant their prices would come down and he said he was too low on the food chain to know that information :). If they can bring prices down even a little bit I bet KUIU and Sitka are going to suffer a bit.
While I had the guy on the line I also asked if they were going to make zip on/off longjohns like KUIU and he said he could neither confirm nor deny - wink wink, so I think we can expect to see those soon! I politely suggested that since nobody's going to be able to try their stuff on at the store anymore they might consider aligning their crazy sizing with the rest of the world :)

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, don't know how to feel about exclusively direct sales. That's hurting quite a few retailers that had FL as a huge part of their business. I tend to think those retailers will just offer Sitka instead, which ultimately may cause FL to lose market share. Don't think you'll be seeing too many more years of 30 new pieces of they lose market share. R&D is expensive if you can't rely on a particular level of sales. Guess we'll see.

dotman

WKR
Yeah, don't know how to feel about exclusively direct sales. That's hurting quite a few retailers that had FL as a huge part of their business. I tend to think those retailers will just offer Sitka instead, which ultimately may cause FL to lose market share. Don't think you'll be seeing too many more years of 30 new pieces of they lose market share. R&D is expensive if you can't rely on a particular level of sales. Guess we'll see.

Oh I doubt it, welcome to the future.