2018 for First Lite...30 new pieces.

Okbow87

Lil-Rokslider
Is the down in the new puffy treated, or is the idea that the mixed in 37.5 synthetic will help pull moisture and move it to the exterior of the jacket and help keep the down dry?

I understand that most of the time when you are wearing this jacket the temps will be such that most liquid you encounter will be in frozen form, but having treated down helps with the warm fuzzy feeling when you are getting dropped off in the middle of nowhere by airplane and there is no option to hike out if stuff goes wrong. Non treated isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me, just helps the mind.

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
Is the down in the new puffy treated, or is the idea that the mixed in 37.5 synthetic will help pull moisture and move it to the exterior of the jacket and help keep the down dry?

I understand that most of the time when you are wearing this jacket the temps will be such that most liquid you encounter will be in frozen form, but having treated down helps with the warm fuzzy feeling when you are getting dropped off in the middle of nowhere by airplane and there is no option to hike out if stuff goes wrong. Non treated isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me, just helps the mind.
In videos, Kenton says it's not treated down. He claims treated down breathes even worse than normal down. Don't know if that's true. I've dried wet socks by wearing in my marmot phase 20 overnight. And I don't really tend to get clammy in that bag. In any event, yes, the idea is that the 37.5 treated synthetic insulation will active transport out any moisture that gets in from sweating or overwhelmed dwr. I wish they'd make a 37.5, maybe this down mixed, mummy bag with a super high end (perhaps pertex) 10d shell. Could probably get close enough to down bag weight and compactibility to make the wet condition security worthwhile.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Benjblt

WKR
I asked him that very question. With the new sizing if you where a large you should wear a large skin to shell. But I will say I have not tried all the pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate to keep asking the same question about different pieces but. . . would you say from what Kenton told you that the SEAK would fit a little smaller since it's an outerlayer? My Medium fits more like a Large.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I hate to keep asking the same question about different pieces but. . . would you say from what Kenton told you that the SEAK would fit a little smaller since it's an outerlayer? My Medium fits more like a Large.

Yes, I would say all the outerwear has went down at least a half size.

tblank

FNG
Looking at pulling the trigger on a woodbury jacket and obsidian pants ... any changes to either of those in 2018?

Looking at pulling the trigger on a woodbury jacket and obsidian pants ... any changes to either of those in 2018?

I was wondering the same thing. I chatted online with a couple of customer service guys on First Lite website and they said no changes to the Woodbury in 2018. So I pulled the trigger and bought one myself.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Would be nice to get a list going of which current products are being upgraded with the new merino x

The Areowool is 150 or 200 weight.

Any other merino product is Merino X.

The Sawtooth has 300 Merino X.

SUMMIT75

WKR
Ryan any experience with the kuiu guide jacket? How does the catalyst jacket stack up against it?

I might be able to give Ryan a hand with this one. I was a part of testing the Catalyst as well. I also have experience with the Kuiu Guide Jacket.

In my experience with both, there is no comparison between the two. The cut and fit of the Catalyst is on a whole other level of comfort and articulation compared to the Kuiu Guide Jacket. Way quieter and the breath ability alone was no comparison. I recall sweating like crazy in the guide jacket and does not pack nearly as well. I just remember it being loud, crunchy, tight in the armpits due to the pit zips and did not shed rain or light precipitation that well. The Catalyst is a huge leap forward in textile technology and performance over the Kuiu Guide Jacket. Hope this helps.

Maybe this has been answered and I missed it but how do the catalyst pants compare to the Sitka mountain pants? Also when will the new prices be released? Thx

dotman

WKR
Will FL stop charging a premium for its own camo since there shouldn’t be any royalties associated like when offering ASAT and Real Tree? Will we see pricing that is the same for solids and camo?

SUMMIT75

WKR
Will FL stop charging a premium for its own camo since there shouldn’t be any royalties associated like when offering ASAT and Real Tree? Will we see pricing that is the same for solids and camo?

I'm pretty sure First Lite still pays licensing fees to Veil Camo Design for Fusion and Cipher.

dotman

WKR
I'm pretty sure First Lite still pays licensing fees to Veil Camo Design for Fusion and Cipher.

Ahh, wonder if they pay the same as they did for the other camps? I would think it would be cheaper even if the used an outside party to help design it.