2018 for First Lite...30 new pieces.

I was planning on getting the Chamberlin but in comparing the Kuiu ultra down jacket, the Kuiu is about 50% lighter so I’m probably going that route. Love my First Lite year though and grabbing some of the new merino

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
So would you say the LPP is closer to the Uncomphagre warmth wise?

Like Dotman said the LPP is warmer.

The Chamberlin is very puffy(like 10 thousand geese kissing you puffy. It’s a super hot jacket. The LPP is more streamline something I take with me when it’s cold but I know I will be wet and moving a lot.

IMO these jackets are totally different.

The LPP and Uncomphagre are more apples to apples. The Chamberlin is in a different category.
e610dfbc6ac105ad9be29e11c0b58d8d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
I was planning on getting the Chamberlin but in comparing the Kuiu ultra down jacket, the Kuiu is about 50% lighter so I’m probably going that route. Love my First Lite year though and grabbing some of the new merino
As I understand it, the Chamberlin is a totally different category than the Kuiu ultra down. The Kuiu will weigh less, but it's also not nearly as warm. It all depends on what you need the jacket to do. Perhaps I misunderstood but making your decision on weight alone doesn't make any sense to me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Conundrum

FNG
^^^^Yes.

Most probably know this but the fill rating basically says how much heat it will retain (fluffiness). Higher the number, warmer it is for a certain volume . I haven't tried the Kuiu but I'm betting it won't be as warm. The 10 oz weight savings has to come from somewhere and I'm guessing it's how much down is in the jacket. This could be good for some that don't need as much warmth and want to save weight. I need a new big puffy and I'm heading on an AK trip in the fall and also use my puffy for some high elevation BC skiing/yurt trips so I want it to be as warm as possible so I'm giving it a shot. When I look at others in the category (hunting company or not), I think the Chamberlin stacks up for what I want at a fair price.

Just a little clarification. Fill power refers to the type of down used. IE 600,700,800. The quantity of down refers to how much down is used. So on our Chamberlin puffy we use 13oz/370gm of our down/38.5 blend. So we use 13 oz of 800 fill power down in a med jacket. The over all weight is 24 oz. I hope this helps.

The Chamberlin is a full on 8000meter style jacket. It would be very difficult to find a jacket with a higher warmth to weight ratio with out it being paper thin. The insulation and breath ability values on the down/ 37.5 blend are very high. Thanks

twall13

WKR
Just a little clarification. Fill power refers to the type of down used. IE 600,700,800. The quantity of down refers to how much down is used. So on our Chamberlin puffy we use 13oz/370gm of our down/38.5 blend. So we use 13 oz of 800 fill power down in a med jacket. The over all weight is 24 oz. I hope this helps.

By comparison and in reference to the post above, the Kuiu Super Down Ultra Hooded jacket has a mere 2.3 Oz. of down fill for a size medium. That's over five times the fill in the Chamberlin. Big difference in warmth. Two totally different categories. Again, you can't compare them on weight alone.

Without having used it, I'm impressed with the weight/fill/price of the Chamberlin and think it will be a good option if you are doing a lot of glassing in the late season.

As I understand it, the Chamberlin is a totally different category than the Kuiu ultra down. The Kuiu will weigh less, but it's also not nearly as warm. It all depends on what you need the jacket to do. Perhaps I misunderstood but making your decision on weight alone doesn't make any sense to me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Not sure why my decision based on weight is confusing. The Kuiu jacket has 850 fill down. I can’t imagine it won’t be extremely warm, and work well in the coldest hunting conditions I’ll likely encounter, but obviously I’ve never used it. It could be that the Chamberlin is warmer for sure, and it looks like an excellent jacket as well.

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure why my decision based on weight is confusing. The Kuiu jacket has 850 fill down. I can’t imagine it won’t be extremely warm, and work well in the coldest hunting conditions I’ll likely encounter, but obviously I’ve never used it. It could be that the Chamberlin is warmer for sure, and it looks like an excellent jacket as well.
Nobody was confused. Your reasoning was perhaps poorly stated.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR

It doesn't matter if it has 850 fill down, there isn't nearly as much of the fill in the jacket (see the posts above regarding the quantity of fill). I'm not saying you won't be happy with your purchase. For your use, the lighter weight jacket that doesn't need to keep you as warm may be exactly what you need/want. What I was trying to say is that weight alone shouldn't be the determining factor. If I plan on spending a lot of time glassing for mule deer in late November, I want the Chamberlin and I'm happy to carry the extra weight because it will keep me warm. If I'm archery hunting elk in August and moving around a lot then the Kuiu sounds a lot better as I won't be as stationary, the conditions will be warmer, and at that point the weight difference makes sense. Simply stating you considered the Chamberlin but decided to go with the Kuiu for the weight difference makes it sound like you had intended on using them for the same use/conditions. They are intended for different conditions, so the decision based on weight alone is what confused me. Again, perhaps the lighter option is the better one for your use, but if that's the case I'm not sure why you even considered the Chamberlin as it's not meant to be a puffy you pack along for active summer hunts.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Holy shit! I’ve had a ton of PMs on the Chamberlin. Don’t PM me, asks the questions here. Then everyone can see it.

Plain and simple the Chamberlin is the warmest hunting jacket I have tried. Haven’t tried them all but I would guess you won’t find a lighter jacket that is warmer. But it’s not a jacket you will hike around in at 30 degrees for very long nor will it take on brush or a rainstorm. Yes it can take a light drizzle, it does have DWR.

This is a purpose built jacket and not for everyone. But if you glass a lot in late October, November and December this jacket is money.

Last edited:
Nobody was confused. Your reasoning was perhaps poorly stated.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

But he said he was confused. Now I’m getting confused! At any rate the Chamberlin looks like a great jacket and I’m sure I’ll end up with one as it could be warmer, and all of my hunting certainly doesn’t involve counting ounces by any means. I want to be warm when I’m not active and the Chamberlin looks like it would serve that need without a doubt.

Holy shit! I’ve had a ton of PMs on the Chamberlin. Don’t PM me, asks the questions here. Then everyone can see it.

Plain and simple the Chamberlin is the warmest hunting jacket I have tried. Haven’t tried them all but I would guess you won’t find a lighter jacket that is warmer. But it’s not a jacket you will hike around in at 30 degrees for very long nor will it take on brush or a rainstorm. Yes it can take a light drizzle, it does have DWR.

This is a purpose built jacket and not for everyone. But if you glass a lot in late October, November and December this jacket is money.

The first part of this quote is by far the best one out of this thread! Ha!

I’m super stoked to hike a mile or so to my deer stand and sit using this jacket. Sounds perfect for that and the price is right around everyone else. Now if only I can convince my wife I need all these new pieces...

The free return shipping will be awesome to make sure of a great fit. My only short term concern is come june when once fill all these preorders I might be waiting on a different size for awhile if I need to return.

As for the products themselves, I'm excited to upgrade or update a few of my items. That catalyst looks like an awesome set for sure, but Ive just never been a big softshell guy, so ill be letting others give that a go this year and maybe rethink it next year.

Also a couple notes on sizing after talking with First Lite, they told me the sawtooth sizing was fixed to be more streamlined and not to worry about ordering up a size. Also the catalyst and fleece were said to be more of an athletic fit so if I was in between sizes to go ahead and size up. This might have been mentioned somewhere in the last 24 pages on here but figured Id pass along what helped me determine my order.

The new Klamath fleece to order up a size if in between sizes?

Obi-wanshinobi

Lil-Rokslider

Good Job, more than justifies it's price. This jacket is gonna be an oven.

SUMMIT75

WKR

Haha I feel for you, Ive yet to respond to all the PM's over the Catalyst system lol

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sounds like the jacket that compares best to the Chamberlin is the Kelvin down hoody from Sitka. Similar in weight and amount of fill. Both serve the same purpose. Cold weather, don't walk around in it type jackets.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
I’m super stoked to hike a mile or so to my deer stand and sit using this jacket.

You use a puffy in a tree stand bow hunting? Aren’t you worried about scaring game? I
doubt the Chamberlain is a quiet material.

(correct me if I’m wrong though)