2018 for First Lite...30 new pieces.

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Just as a heads up to everyone that hasn't seen this yet, I noticed on the First Lite website that the price reductions have trickled into the old product lines now. All of the outwear seems to be cut by $25-50. Awesome to see!

NDGuy

WKR
Just as a heads up to everyone that hasn't seen this yet, I noticed on the First Lite website that the price reductions have trickled into the old product lines now. All of the outwear seems to be cut by $25-50. Awesome to see!

Except the Obsidians.... :(

Clockwork

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted to throw out my list of clothes I wanted to buy and maybe some of you guys can give some advice. This will be my first year hunting and I will be up in the Ruby mountains in Nevada in October so it can get a bit cold with a low of 25* and a high of 50* from the sounds of it.

First layer –
Underwear : Fuse long john or the 250 kiln boxer brief
T-shirt : Fuse Crew 200 aerowool
Pants : Prana Zion

Second layer –
Klamath Hoody

Third layer –
Corrugate Jacket

Am I on the right path? Is this list too much or too little?

mcseal2

WKR
I wanted to throw out my list of clothes I wanted to buy and maybe some of you guys can give some advice. This will be my first year hunting and I will be up in the Ruby mountains in Nevada in October so it can get a bit cold with a low of 25* and a high of 50* from the sounds of it.

First layer –

Second layer –
Klamath Hoody

Third layer –
Corrugate Jacket

It wouldn't have to be a FL, but I'd add a puffy jacket of some sort. I'd probably want some puffy pants to have in the pack also if I planned to sit and glass for long periods of time. I don't know that area. The Aerowool boxers are great and good socks are a necessity. I personally like the Darn Tough socks.

Gorp2007

WKR

First layer –

Second layer –
Klamath Hoody

Third layer –
Corrugate Jacket

If you're doing a lot of sitting, long johns and Zions might get cold at 25 degrees, but you'll be fine while you're moving. I'd personally get the lighter weight Wick boxers AND the long johns; if it's cold you can wear the long johns and if it's warm you'll want more breathability. I've never been out hiking around and wished that my crotch was warmer.

Clockwork

Lil-Rokslider
It wouldn't have to be a FL, but I'd add a puffy jacket of some sort. I'd probably want some puffy pants to have in the pack also if I planned to sit and glass for long periods of time. I don't know that area. The Aerowool boxers are great and good socks are a necessity. I personally like the Darn Tough socks.

Ok so you’re saying the grab a puffy to use other then the corrugate if it gets too cold.

I have darn tough socks are on the list to get already. Just slowly getting it all piece by piece. Starting out hunting is an expensive endeavor lol

If you're doing a lot of sitting, long johns and Zions might get cold at 25 degrees, but you'll be fine while you're moving. I'd personally get the lighter weight Wick boxers AND the long johns; if it's cold you can wear the long johns and if it's warm you'll want more breathability. I've never been out hiking around and wished that my crotch was warmer.

That’s a good idea on the underwear. I’ll have to look into other kinds of pants to also bring.

mcseal2

WKR
Ok so you’re saying the grab a puffy to use other then the corrugate if it gets too cold.

I have darn tough socks are on the list to get already. Just slowly getting it all piece by piece. Starting out hunting is an expensive endeavor lol

That’s a good idea on the underwear. I’ll have to look into other kinds of pants to also bring.

I'd bring a puffy to put on under the Corrugate while glassing was what I meant. I don't own a Corrugate but I'd guess it's pretty decent on stopping wind so a puffy under it would be good for insulation.

twall13

WKR
If the Corrugate jacket is anything like the pants it is not wind resistant at all.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

colersu22

WKR
I agree twall I feel like the wind just cuts right through the corrugate pants. I am interested in the jacket but haven’t decided if I want to pull the trigger. That was the only piece I was excited about since my closet is full of first lite and I don’t really need anymore.

SUMMIT75

WKR
How do the Catalyst pieces handle the wind?

Extremely well, I intentionally picked some crazy windy and cold days to glass last late elk season and was very impressed on the wind cutting qualities of these pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squirrels

WKR
Anyone think about using the Catalyst in place of a grid fleece mid layer. Only 5oz difference in the jacket and hooded grid fleece. Any who tested the stuff think that is doable. I love fleece but never seen any that didn’t pile and at these prices for simple fleecw I’m looking at options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider

Have you done much backpacking in those type of conditions? Don't assume that 25 is as cold as it sounds. For some it is, for some it isn't; everybody is different. Maybe try to get out in similar conditions this spring if you haven't in the past. You may find that any type of long johns, even 3/4 length super lightweight, is too much when moving around. That's when a puffy pant can really shine in stop and go hunting

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

RockWest

FNG
I agree with dplantz. To me 25 deg is quite pleasant. Just a long sleeve lightweight shirt and pants is all I need when moving. Then a puffy jacket for long stops. I wouldn't bother with puffy pacts pants unless I was planning on staying in place for more than an hour. I'm also accustomed to the cold.

I know I run hot though, 85 deg and I feel like in dieing, I break out in heat rashes and can't think straight.

The point is, there is a huge range of advice because bodies and people's tolerances to temperature vary so much. Best to take the weight penalty when your in a new environment and bring options until you learn what YOU are comfortable with.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Dwight.MT

FNG

I second the advice about getting a puffy. And maybe you don't need a soft-shell(?). Carry a good lightweight rain shell (which is always a smart move) and that will be your windbreaker when you're stationary. That strategy would eliminate the need for corrugate/catalyst. I know that some guys really love soft-shells, and they're not wrong, but I only carry one when it's likely to be a rainy/snowy day. Note that I hunt in a pretty dry place (SW Montana) and I realize that rainier places require a heavier duty precipitation protection strategy.