First Lite Vs. Kuiu

Wojo14

WKR
Looking to upgrade my merino baselayers for 2018.
I have a mix of misc off brand stuff.

I am wondering which is better? I know Firstlite has been in the merino business forever, but the new Kuiu stuff seams worth a looking at.

I am thinking of a good mid weight zip top with a hood.

Kuiu Ultra 210
Or
First lite Chama 230

I do have the First Lite Merino short sleeve tee(whicch is my first layer). Nice quality. I always liked Kuiu stuff as well.

~Wojo

I would never support Jason Hariston. First Lite for me all the way. Really like what they are about and the patterns they offer. Everything I own from FL is of high quality and their 2018 lineup looks to be exceptional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
Hard to beat First Lite in merino, they are the kings of soft, durable and non itchy merino. The aerowool blend has become my favorite.

I would consider the Sawtooth from FL over the two options listed.

Last edited:
Went for a walk today, 40 degree temps with 20 mph winds in just the chama over a tshirt and it kept me really warm and when i would get to hot i would just zip it down and vent till i cooled of enough. I love the thing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Without a doubt, First Lite. I've owned both and I strongly prefer First Lite. The main thing I have noticed is durability. I do the majority of my hunting and shed hunting in areas covered in rose bushes and blackberry bushes and am constantly getting caught up in those damn things. Wore Kuiu for some time, but I was constantly getting small holes and runs in both my tops and bottoms. I understand this comes with the territory, but I don't have that same problem with my First Lite. Plus they're an Idaho company!

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
Firstlite is my first choice . I'm sold this the best on the market . They have something for every occasion or situation . The 2018 stuff is going to make the products even better .

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've got some First Lite merino wool and some Smartwool pieces. I much prefer the Smartwool pieces to the First Lite. I don't think I'll ever buy any more First Lite merino wool again.

Wouldn't touch anything Kuiu with a ten foot pole.

boom

WKR
I had both. Both older stuff. FL is softer feeling to me. I ended up giving my kuiu to a friend.

It’s just shirts. I don’t have any deeper feelings beyond that.

idig4au

WKR
Well I will be the outcast and say Kuiu or Icebreaker. I tried some First Lite and wasn't impressed as I found it really itchy and not soft with an uncomfortable fit. Mind you this was a few years ago and I haven't seen any of their new stuff. Just not a fan of their products. I threw my FL stuff out or gave away.

I do like the Kuiu or Icebreaker merino. Both have better fit, soft and not itchy. I also like the Sitka synthetic series and have been using that with good luck for back country less than 5 days or use for the pack in and out. Really comfortable. But hunts longer than 5 days, I switch to merino.

I've never used any FL merino, but I have used Filson, Kuiu, Cabelas, and Sitka.

Filson: Awesome stuff, probably my favorite overall. Super comfortable, has held up for 10 years, and they're local to me. Would purchase more/again.

Kuiu: Light scratch when I put it on but I never notice it after that, even sitting still. As a super active hunter, the zip-off bottoms have become a huge QOL improvement for me and are hard to beat. Only issue I have is the waist seems to sag, but I am convinced that's because of my SG belt being the wrong size. Have only had for 2 seasons, can't speak to durability yet. Would purchase more/again for bottoms, unsure on tops, wish they had a zip-t.

Cabelas: Did it's job but had durability issues and fit baggy, no strong positives or negatives. Would not purchase again.

Sitka: Borrowed from a friend, tried for one hunt and felt it was way too tight on me. Could have just been a sizing issue but it was "the same size" as my Kuiu stuff. Did not purchase in the first place.

Ozzymodel70

Lil-Rokslider
I have both and much prefer the kuiu ultra. I believe its warmer, more durable and the fit is 10x better. I like FL merinos but just never was a big fan of the Chama. With that being sad I think the aerowool Line is some of the nicer shirts iv'e ever worn.

I have really like the Kuiu stuff since they started. I’ve never noticed the ‘scratchy’ thing that some people reference but I grew up wearing Pendleton wool that truly was scratchy and I don’t have that soft skin that some younger folks have. Lol! I DO NOT like the new calf length zip-off bottoms from Kuiu - especially the 240wt bottoms. There’s ZERO stretch and they were so tight on my calves that I returned them immediately. I ended up getting some new bottoms to replace my 5-6 year old Kuiu bottoms that some mice got ahold of last winter. The tops have been really tough against the South Texas brush where EVERYTHING has thorns. It’s good stuff and you won’t go wrong despite the comments by the Kuiu/Hairston haters. I won’t be buying any Kuiu bottoms until the get back to full length bottoms.

All that said, I’m going to try some of the new FL stuff when it’s released. I like what they’re doing and interested to try it. Wish it would have been available when I bought 2 new bottoms last fall. Do I think it’s going to be some “game changer?” No. I think that’s some hype from the FL fan club. But I’m sure it’s going to be some great stuff and, if I’m wrong, I’ll be super happy! I’m looking forward to some heavy weight bottoms with side zips.

You’re not going to go wrong with either brand. I think the differences are minor and people like to make a huge discussion over minute differences. Get the ones that appeal to you and are a good price and don’t look back!

I've had different generations of FL with mostly good results. They do have good wool and good designs, although not all designs/sizing will work for everyone. That said, Smart wool and Icebreaker make a better product. Higher quality wool, better sourcing, and better sizing. They've been in the business since the beginning and can be trusted to make a "zero problem" garment. I will still continue to purchase an occasional FL item, mostly because they have some good products that others simply don't make, but merino base layers will not be among those.