First Lite Vs. Kuiu

HeadnWest

WKR
I've had both, I switched form Kuiu to FL and will be wearing FL from now on. My FL feels better on my skin and also the KUIU merino seemed to have a smell to it. Just my opinion.

texag10

WKR
Been wearing kuiu 210 merino hoody for 1.5 years now, probably 60+ days hunting public lands in Texas where you have to hike in the where you sit. Through mesquite, greebriar vines, etc and it doesn't have any noticeable wear. Very quiet and does what merino should do in regards to odor. Some place the fit has me wondering what they were thinking. The cuffs are pretty tight, and I have VERY thin forearms and wrists. The hood can pull your hat back if you have a ball cap on and throw the hood over it and look down, so I would like a bit more room there.

Overall I am happy with it.

Only FL piece I have is the zip aerowool top. Love the fit, love how well it dries, and for the most part odor control is good with one annoying exception. The piece has a different fabric with little vent hole all through it on the underarms. I am convinced this either has a different blend or is totally synthetic because it holds smell. It doesn't get as bad as something like the patagonia capilene 1 shirt I have, but you can sweat, it doesn't smell good, and I can leave it hanging in the sun for a day or 2 and a faint odor stays.

I will probably buy more firstlite in the future, I might buy more Kuiu, but their lack of a stated stance on public land hunting irks me.

Rolando

FNG
I have the Chama (among many other FL pieces), and it's awesome, but the fit is a bit awkward. I'd wait for the 2018 version. I understand the fit is supposed to be improved.

Benjblt

WKR
Been wearing kuiu 210 merino hoody for 1.5 years now, probably 60+ days hunting public lands in Texas where you have to hike in the where you sit. Through mesquite, greebriar vines, etc and it doesn't have any noticeable wear. Very quiet and does what merino should do in regards to odor. Some place the fit has me wondering what they were thinking. The cuffs are pretty tight, and I have VERY thin forearms and wrists. The hood can pull your hat back if you have a ball cap on and throw the hood over it and look down, so I would like a bit more room there.

Overall I am happy with it.

Only FL piece I have is the zip aerowool top. Love the fit, love how well it dries, and for the most part odor control is good with one annoying exception. The piece has a different fabric with little vent hole all through it on the underarms. I am convinced this either has a different blend or is totally synthetic because it holds smell. It doesn't get as bad as something like the patagonia capilene 1 shirt I have, but you can sweat, it doesn't smell good, and I can leave it hanging in the sun for a day or 2 and a faint odor stays.

I will probably buy more firstlite in the future, I might buy more Kuiu, but their lack of a stated stance on public land hunting irks me.

The under arm area is pure polyester 37.5 so that's why. I agree. They are out thinking themselves. Why would you go away from Merino in the smelliest spot of the upper body?. I do love my Aerowool though. I think it was the best move FL's made so far. It's the best of both worlds!

ericF

WKR
Kuiu for bottoms, First Lite for tops. Nothing beats the zip on/off feature of Kuiu bottoms. I think the First Lite Merino for the tops is a little softer.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I liked the original merino blend KUIU did. The newer versions not as much. But, of the two options you listed I prefer FL. With that said Sitka is releasing a new merino blend product this year that might be worth waiting for.

I also wear kuiu bottoms and FL tops. Love the zips on the bottoms and they feel just fine. The FL tops do seem to feel softer to me. I like the kuiu fit better though. FL sizing has been a frustration for me.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I only have field experience with the Kuiu. Their 125 dried pretty fast and the nylon blend exceeded my expectations for durability. Fits my lanky build. I’m probably the only one that doesn’t find it itchy.

I’ve tried on a lot of FL shirts and they fit closer to skin for wicking if I size down. They all could be longer in the torso. Chama had the worst fit for me, very boxy. Shame because that hood is the best cut I’ve ever tried.

Kuiu bottoms aren’t for everyone as they are cut narrow. Too schools of thought with the zip off feature, love it or don’t see a need. I love it.

I’ll try some aerowool as it has very favorable reviews, interested with the new for 2018 versions.

Mmcan

WKR
I think FL base layers are more comfortable. Less scratchy. And for whatever reason, it doesn't get stanky as easy as the kuiu base layers can when I sweat a lot

I wouldn't personalize an issue w JH and refuse to buy kuiu products. I love their rain gear, have 3 lines of it. Also love the soft shells and pants.
I also love the FL items I have, but I take the kuiu outer wear when I'm going to a more remote location. I just trust it more to protect me from the elements, and it tends to be very light. Hate carrying any more than I have to.

Not to steal the thread, but does anyone have experience with the SEAK rain jacket? How is it? As good as Kuiu Chugach or Yukon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The under arm area is pure polyester 37.5 so that's why. I agree. They are out thinking themselves. Why would you go away from Merino in the smelliest spot of the upper body?. I do love my Aerowool though. I think it was the best move FL's made so far. It's the best of both worlds!

This was debunked in the new rokslide video as being untrue. The whole thing is wool/poly and now wool/nylon blend.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really like the blackovis base layers that show on camofire. I'm gonna add the hoodie this year.
Good call. I have the hoodie and its on par with FL. I think it is minutely rougher, but NOT enough to make it "itchy."

Smartwool for layering mid to late season.

FL for hunting early season or mid/late season outerwear.

I really like FL but it seems to have a one year life expectancy while the Smartwool is much more durable.

Agross

WKR
I really like the blackovis base layers that show on camofire. I'm gonna add the hoodie this year.

Me too. I really like my first lite, but for the money, I am very happy with my black ovis. I wear it around home a lot and to work. Looking forward to adding their hoodie as well.

Brodie

Lil-Rokslider
I am not a huge fan of the kuiu simply because it is a blend and starts to hold body odor much quicker than 100% merino.
I have some older merino baselayers that I think are now sold by black ovis, and I prefer them to my kuiu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk