Sitka Gear Ascent Pant & Core Lightweight Hoody Review, by Josh Boyd

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
pic-01.jpg

Josh just finished up another great review. This one is on the Sitka Gear Ascent Pant & Core Lightweight Hoody.

Check it out to see if they should be added to your clothing kit.

Sitka Gear Ascent Pant & Core Lightweight Hoody Review

Last edited by a moderator:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guess it's a taptalk fail. Tried it again and nothing. It short cuts to Sitka page but not the article. Oh well guess I'll have to read after work

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

pew

Lil-Rokslider
Works for me (via Tapatalk)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
If there are any questions about my early season clothing choices don't hesitate to ask.
-Josh

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Nice write up Josh!

Those are two of my favorites as well. So much that I got the Lightweight hoody in a solid for daily "real life" use.

MtnMuley

WKR
Good review. Curious to why you chose the lt weight hoody over the newly designed Ascent shirt? Other than maybe the hood for early mornings and possibly the built in partial facemask for concealment at times. I was really looking forward to using the Ascent shirt this past year, but somehow forgot to add it to my pre-season order when they were introduced. I chose to wait until recently to buy it at my discount when it reappeared in stock rather than pay the full price from a dealer last fall. Anyhow, I'm a huge fan of merino on top in Sept, so I'm usually mixing in FL tops which I really like. Especially in the field for a week and no stink. Honestly, how did the lt weight hoody smell after days of several use? My main concern on the Ascent shirt, was how was it going to smell in a week. Definitely the lightest top I've ever owned which is pleasing.

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice write up Josh!

Those are two of my favorites as well. So much that I got the Lightweight hoody in a solid for daily "real life" use.

Thank you.

I did the same with the Ascent pant. I bought two in solid for office and field work.

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good review. Curious to why you chose the lt weight hoody over the newly designed Ascent shirt? Other than maybe the hood for early mornings and possibly the built in partial facemask for concealment at times. I was really looking forward to using the Ascent shirt this past year, but somehow forgot to add it to my pre-season order when they were introduced. I chose to wait until recently to buy it at my discount when it reappeared in stock rather than pay the full price from a dealer last fall. Anyhow, I'm a huge fan of merino on top in Sept, so I'm usually mixing in FL tops which I really like. Especially in the field for a week and no stink. Honestly, how did the lt weight hoody smell after days of several use? My main concern on the Ascent shirt, was how was it going to smell in a week. Definitely the lightest top I've ever owned which is pleasing.

I really like the hood on this piece and it seems to have more stretch than the Ascent shirt. And honestly the smell isn't too bad. It still has an odor but not like a normal polypro top. It also doesn't reactivate with BO after 5 minutes of wearing it.

If you like wool you'll like what Sitka is coming out with this year!

MtnMuley

WKR
I see. I'll agree, it definately has more stretch.

Anxiously awaiting their new merino line.

I really like the hood on this piece and it seems to have more stretch than the Ascent shirt. And honestly the smell isn't too bad. It still has an odor but not like a normal polypro top. It also doesn't reactivate with BO after 5 minutes of wearing it.

If you like wool you'll like what Sitka is coming out with this year!

I too have been debating the ascent shirt vs the core lw hoody. Good stuff to hear. Also very interested in the new big game gear they will be releasing this year. Any idea on when they will be announced?

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I too have been debating the ascent shirt vs the core lw hoody. Good stuff to hear. Also very interested in the new big game gear they will be releasing this year. Any idea on when they will be announced?

It was announced at the ATA show last week with a more formal introduction coming next week at the SHOT show. If you dig around on the web you should be able to find something from ATA.

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
What temps you feel comfortable wearing nothing but ascent pants and lightweight hoody? 60's and up?

I wear the Ascent pants in temps down to the mid 30's no problem. But that is only if it'll warm up in the middle of the day; kind of a typical Montana September. The Lightweight Hoody is good into the high 30's if constantly active or mid 40's if it's a stop and go hunt. If it's any colder or I'm stationary I will add a mid weight layer on top. Of course this is all personal depending on your own thermal regulation.

jbw899

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the review! I'm been looking for info about the durability of lightweight core series, the crew or hoody. Debating between one of them and the ascent shirt as an outer layer warmer weather. Was concerned about the core durability but it sounds like the hoody held up fine for you.

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the review! I'm been looking for info about the durability of lightweight core series, the crew or hoody. Debating between one of them and the ascent shirt as an outer layer warmer weather. Was concerned about the core durability but it sounds like the hoody held up fine for you.

The durability is good. It is pretty tough fabric. The durability is good on the Ascent shirt as well and it is lighter yet. But I prefer the stretch of the Core and the cut as well. The forearms on the Ascent a fairly trim making it difficult to pull the sleeves up which I do a lot.

Yet another well-worded review Josh!

I can attest to the durability of the Core Hoody as well. It was my base layer on a grueling summer backpacking trip in NW Montana where we covered over 60 miles in 4 days of intense bushwacking and scrambling. On multiple occasions over the course of that trip, the sleeves of the shirt were abused and snagged by brush, limbs and rocks without a single tear in the fabric. Several times I was sure it had ripped a hole only to look down and realize only a couple threads had pulled out. I was plesantly surprised by the durability of this lightweight shirt.
It's also great in warm weather but IMO the Ascent Shirt is superior in venting and keeping you cool and dry on really warm days, which is specifically what it was designed to do.

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
I wear the Ascent pants in temps down to the mid 30's no problem. But that is only if it'll warm up in the middle of the day; kind of a typical Montana September. The Lightweight Hoody is good into the high 30's if constantly active or mid 40's if it's a stop and go hunt. If it's any colder or I'm stationary I will add a mid weight layer on top. Of course this is all personal depending on your own thermal regulation.

Thanks! Thinking about getting this set for spring turkey/summer scouting/early season archery. This helps a lot!