First Lite Sawtooth Hybrid Jacket?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but what's everyone's opinion on these?

I've been trying to tell myself that I don't need one for the past couple weeks, but they have a pretty good sale going right now and I haven't been able to talk myself out of it just yet. I just wish they had my size in dry earth so that I could wear it casually, but camo is the only option..

I currently already own a Sitka Jetstream jacket, First Lite Chama, Sitka Fanatic Hoody, and Sitka Traverse. Are these sawtooth jackets pretty awesome, or do I already have it covered?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
It’s certainly different than what you’ve listed - I wouldn’t buy it to add to what you have, as you’re fairly covered, and it’s a pretty “general” piece. I’d buy it if you’re trying to simplify you’re later season layering though, and want something you’d always reach for. It’s a lot like rocking a wool sweater with a light puffy vest on. And the hood is simply awesome.

As far as camo or solid - I personally always look at camo as a must have for early season bowhunts, but prefer solids for my outer layers I’ll use in rifle or later season - simply because I’ll get more use out of a solid piece.

I’ve learned that it’s better to lay for what you ultimately want later down the road rather than something “close” in the near term, even at discount. In the end that saves you money because you really will use that piece so much more.

Good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
Linton Outdoors has a better price then First Lites tag soup sale 😏. I think it’s that one piece that can cover a lot of different situations and simplify your overall system, fewer items. I’m going to try one. I would have gone with a solid but couldn’t find one, camo doesn’t bother me, I do usually wear mainly solids, but this isn’t an item I’ll use for anything but hunting.

Last edited:

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I don't own one but I know my buddy wore his pretty much every day this season from bear, deer, and western elk he said it worked great for hiking with a pack in chilly weather and added just a little more that straight wool when worn under a outer shell with the insulation.

I'll buy one if they hit the right price

OP
cornfedkiller
It’s certainly different than what you’ve listed - I wouldn’t buy it to add to what you have, as you’re fairly covered, and it’s a pretty “general” piece. I’d buy it if you’re trying to simplify you’re later season layering though, and want something you’d always reach for. It’s a lot like rocking a wool sweater with a light puffy vest on. And the hood is simply awesome.

As far as camo or solid - I personally always look at camo as a must have for early season bowhunts, but prefer solids for my outer layers I’ll use in rifle or later season - simply because I’ll get more use out of a solid piece.

I’ve learned that it’s better to lay for what you ultimately want later down the road rather than something “close” in the near term, even at discount. In the end that saves you money because you really will use that piece so much more.

Good luck :)

Thanks. Not sure what you meant by the bolded part...Would it take the place of any of those things I already own?

I whitetail hunt from a treestand 80% of my hunting, and when its "sweatshirt" weather, I used to wear the traverse. Then sitka came out with the Fanatic hoodie and I bought one. I havent worn the traverse since, but keep it because I feel like it would probably be better for western hunts in the future. I like the fanatic hoodie, but I don't think I love it as much as most people do.

The full-zip of the sawtooth really appeals to me because its much easier to take off and put on...I'm just not sure if its going to replace a few things I already own.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Thanks. Not sure what you meant by the bolded part...Would it take the place of any of those things I already own?

I whitetail hunt from a treestand 80% of my hunting, and when its "sweatshirt" weather, I used to wear the traverse. Then sitka came out with the Fanatic hoodie and I bought one. I havent worn the traverse since, but keep it because I feel like it would probably be better for western hunts in the future. I like the fanatic hoodie, but I don't think I love it as much as most people do.

The full-zip of the sawtooth really appeals to me because its much easier to take off and put on...I'm just not sure if its going to replace a few things I already own.

I don’t see a bolded text coming through - maybe quote just that part?

It’s definitely warmer and more robust than the fanatic hoody, Chama or traverse. I don’t think it’s really like anything you’ve listed, and it certainly isn’t like the Jetstream.

Hiwallman

Lil-Rokslider
CFK,
I bought a FL Sawtooth last fall to use during bow season. I didn’t like the Sawtooth at first so it sat at home for a while. Once I began wearing it I really became fond of it and now find my Chama hoody staying at home. I absolutely love the hood. FL knows how to make a hood. The cut may be a little small in the body length. I like the pockets and weight. I am always wearing a pack so the lack of insulation in the back works for me. It’s not wind proof but it is a warm piece and you need to be careful not to overheat in it. You already have a lot of nice jackets so the word “need” is not an option. If you want one than that is different. I wear mine often and am going to add another in dry earth this summer. Lots of great choices in outdoor clothing now. The FL cut (shooters cut) fits me better than the other big boys so I’m a FL fan.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I'm with MT-Wyatt, it's hard to explain how versatile this jacket is. Its warm enough early to wear as an outer layer yet its the perfect layering piece for Oct-Nov hunts. I wore it well over 80 days in the field this year. And I thought it was stupid when I first heard about it.:)

Oh, and I love the way the hood fits my fat head.

OP
cornfedkiller
It’s certainly different than what you’ve listed - I wouldn’t buy it to add to what you have, as you’re fairly covered, and it’s a pretty “general” piece. I’d buy it if you’re trying to simplify you’re later season layering though

Sorry about that. This is what I was referring to. Wasn't sure what you meant there, and more specifically "I wouldnt buy it to add to what you have".

CFK,
I bought a FL Sawtooth last fall to use during bow season. I didn’t like the Sawtooth at first so it sat at home for a while. Once I began wearing it I really became fond of it and now find my Chama hoody staying at home. I absolutely love the hood. FL knows how to make a hood. The cut may be a little small in the body length. I like the pockets and weight. I am always wearing a pack so the lack of insulation in the back works for me. It’s not wind proof but it is a warm piece and you need to be careful not to overheat in it. You already have a lot of nice jackets so the word “need” is not an option. If you want one than that is different. I wear mine often and am going to add another in dry earth this summer. Lots of great choices in outdoor clothing now. The FL cut (shooters cut) fits me better than the other big boys so I’m a FL fan.

My Chama 1/4 zip is my next to skin 99% of the season, and is also my outer layer for the beginning of the season. Then the temps get to "sweatshirt" weather and I toss the fanatic hoody on. Then when it gets colder, I throw my coat on. When its super cold (below 10), I wear all 3. If there are some in between temps in there, I bring the jetstream vest to the stand with me to bridge any gaps. The jetstream jacket doesnt get used a whole lot while treestand hunting, but I wear it all the time for all kinds of random stuff.

I think I have a pretty good system (for stand hunting whitetails anyways), but like I mentioned, I dont LOVE the fanatic hoody, and have wondered if there may be something I would like more. My issues with the fanatic hoody are that the hand mitt things are kinda impractical and I NEVER use them, which leaves a bunch of fabric bunched up on my wrist, the facemask is cool but I dont use it much because I hate shooting my bow with a mask on, burrs like the fabric, the kangaroo pocket is ok but I could do without, and I would like a full zip for ease of on/off. As I also mentioned, I don't ever wear the traverse any more, but am keeping it for western hunts which are in my future.

Do you guys think the sawtooth could replace both the fanatic hoody while treestanding and the traverse while out west, so I could get rid of 2 things and only have 1 for both situations?

(And sorry for the long and probably overly-descriptive post)

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Sorry about that. This is what I was referring to. Wasn't sure what you meant there, and more specifically "I wouldnt buy it to add to what you have".

My Chama 1/4 zip is my next to skin 99% of the season, and is also my outer layer for the beginning of the season. Then the temps get to "sweatshirt" weather and I toss the fanatic hoody on. Then when it gets colder, I throw my coat on. When its super cold (below 10), I wear all 3. If there are some in between temps in there, I bring the jetstream vest to the stand with me to bridge any gaps. The jetstream jacket doesnt get used a whole lot while treestand hunting, but I wear it all the time for all kinds of random stuff.

I think I have a pretty good system (for stand hunting whitetails anyways), but like I mentioned, I dont LOVE the fanatic hoody, and have wondered if there may be something I would like more. My issues with the fanatic hoody are that the hand mitt things are kinda impractical and I NEVER use them, which leaves a bunch of fabric bunched up on my wrist, the facemask is cool but I dont use it much because I hate shooting my bow with a mask on, burrs like the fabric, the kangaroo pocket is ok but I could do without, and I would like a full zip for ease of on/off. As I also mentioned, I don't ever wear the traverse any more, but am keeping it for western hunts which are in my future.

Do you guys think the sawtooth could replace both the fanatic hoody while treestanding and the traverse while out west, so I could get rid of 2 things and only have 1 for both situations?

(And sorry for the long and probably overly-descriptive post)

Yes, and that’s what I meant by my comment you quoted - it’s a good piece to replace both of what you’ve listed, and will be like that vest plus a hoody underneath. I think the FL marketing “simplify your kit” is a spot on description. More generally, it’s just super versatile. But I’ll tell you, I’ve been in a tree stand once....I’m a ground pounder in MT so I don’t know much about that whole scene. I like that the back isn’t insulated, but I literally wear a backpack all of the time.

I’d caution you on fit; if you have a long torso it may feel short on you. I have a taller friend with large torso and he didn’t like it. But I find it perfect for my size. Sleeves are certainly tight at the wrists - base layers fit underneath just fine though.

I don’t like it. I bought it in a medium and it’s small and tight on me, despite the fact that every other piece of my FL is a medium. It’s no warmer than my Chama or my Halstead, so it was a pointless purchase for me. I thought it would be more of an insulation piece, which it could be, but it doesn’t replace anything, at least in my opinion. Mine just hangs in my closet and I use my Chama hoody instead.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I don’t like it. I bought it in a medium and it’s small and tight on me, despite the fact that every other piece of my FL is a medium. It’s no warmer than my Chama or my Halstead, so it was a pointless purchase for me. I thought it would be more of an insulation piece, which it could be, but it doesn’t replace anything, at least in my opinion. Mine just hangs in my closet and I use my Chama hoody instead.

You must if gotten the special one because mine is far warmer then the chama or halstead. In fact, I was wearing the Halstead at the range yesterday, it was windy and I was thinking damn I should of worn the Sawtooth. Neither are windproof but the sawtooth seems to break it better than others.

The good news is you should have no issues selling it:)

It's not a game changer sitting in a tree stand, however on the ground it is my go-to. Works great for cutting the wind down or taking the chill off yet breathes well enough that I don't get too hot while hiking. And if I do manage to break a sweat, it dries out quick. I'm basically wearing it all the time just because of its versatility as it allows me to ditch a couple other pieces and keeps me from adding and subtracting layers constantly throughout the day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
cornfedkiller
I’d caution you on fit; if you have a long torso it may feel short on you. I have a taller friend with large torso and he didn’t like it. But I find it perfect for my size. Sleeves are certainly tight at the wrists - base layers fit underneath just fine though.

Thanks again. At 5'9", I don't have too much to worry about there.

Last edited:
OP
cornfedkiller
I got the sawtooth today, and I've played around with it a little bit. I love the fit in the arms, the length is perfect for me (glad I'm not tall), and its a little tight across the shoulders. I have broad shoulders though, so thats to be expected - the merino stretches just fine. The hood is awesome, as with all FL stuff.

I'm really not telling you guys anything you don't know...but I have a question. I was going through my clothes tonight and comparing it to the other stuff, and I definitely think it can replace the traverse and the fanatic hoody (if I decide to get rid of that), but I had kind of forgotten that I also have a Kelvin Lite vest. I haven't worn it much in the last year or two, but wasn't sure if I should keep it so I haven't gotten rid of it. I only wear it as a layer under a jacket since its pretty loud and crinkly when it gets cold. Since this sawtooth is kinda like a light vest over top of a hoody, do you think it will replace the Kelvin Lite vest as well?

And at one point I thought I needed the Cirrus puffy as added insulation under my Woodbury when its really cold, but I sat out in a blind late muzzleoader season this year with the temps around 0 in just a midweight merino base, fanatic hoody, and the woodbury coat and never got cold, so I think I'd be fine wearing just the sawtooth and skipping the cirrus.

Last edited:

mcseal2

WKR
I got one when ASAT went out with all the big sales for predator hunting and our December whitetail season. I already had one in Cipher. I quickly came to love them and for the most part it's the layer I always wear and choose my other stuff around. I use a long sleeve Aerowool base layer, then the Sawtooth, and add whatever I need from there.

As far as the vest, I look at the Sawtooth as insulation but not a wind stopper at all. It stops some, especially where the synthetic panels are, but not a bunch. I sometimes wear a FL Ucompaghre vest over it that might be pretty similar to your Kelvin Lite. Usually if it's cold enough to do that I'm also putting a wind layer like my Sitka Mountain Jacket or a softshell Kryptek Dalibor II over them both. Warmer weather I will put a Sitka Jetstream Lite vest over the Sawtooth and be fine, a wind resistant vest over the Sawtooth seems to be enough for mild morning and evenings on warmer season hunts. During the middle of the day I shed the Sawtooth and put the Jetstream vest over the FL Aerowool base layer or shed them both and just wear the Aerowool. Colder weather I use a puffy jacket, puffy vest, or combination of them between the Sawtooth and shell layer. Sometimes a vest like the Ucompaghre and a lighter jacket like the Kuiu Kenai are a more versatile combo than just a real warm puffy jacket and only a little heavier.

If your blind is like those I use it stops much of the wind too. Keep in mind that sitting in a blind and sitting on an open hillside are very different. I know I need more layers sitting the same places calling coyotes than I do sitting in a pop-up blind during whitetail season.

Maybe my rambling will help with your decision?

mcseal2

WKR
You must if gotten the special one because mine is far warmer then the chama or halstead. In fact, I was wearing the Halstead at the range yesterday, it was windy and I was thinking damn I should of worn the Sawtooth. Neither are windproof but the sawtooth seems to break it better than others.

The good news is you should have no issues selling it:)

I'd agree it probably stops a bit more wind than the Halstead, don't own the Chama. I was going to buy one before the Sawtooth came out and then went that route instead. I wouldn't say it breaks to much wind but the breathability is part of why I like it so much. It can be just right for walking when it's cold.

mcseal2

WKR
Not a chance, I love ASAT for hunting around home. A darker pattern just doesn't fit our dormant grass very well. I think ASAT might be the first pattern that beats Carhardt brown around here! I got all the ASAT I could while it was on sale at the end.

nrh6.7

WKR
Guess I don't blame you, but had to try! How is the sizing compared to other FL tops? I have a line on a medium, which is what I normally wear but am worried it might be too small.