Sitka Mountain Pants

I just got a new pair of Mountain Pants, they are thicker than I expected. I'm coming from the original Ascents. Anyone wear them September elk mountain hunting? Are they too warm for you?

I just bought some and used on my January deer hunt. Temps reached 50’s and 60’s and down to teens and low 20’s at night. I was comfortable in them the whole hunt. I will be wearing them in September. I wore a base layer under them.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I usually start wearing them mid Sept through the rest of season. They are to warm for me the first few weeks of elk season. They are a great pair of pants though

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I run hot so I am the wrong person to ask. I start late September and run them the rest of the the year. Last Jan they were the only pants I had for desert mule deer hunt, temps ranged from 20’s in the mornings to 50’s during the day and honestly I was fine in them. They cover a huge range. With a base layer to can wear them right into the winter.

OP
G
I run pretty warm too but already have late season pretty well covered. Just seems like u get alot more pant than the Ascent for the small price difference

jmez

WKR
Way too warm for me entire be month of September. They didn't work for me at all.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
They'll probably feel a little warm when season opens, but so damn tough and comfortable, it's worth it. If I could only have one pair of pants to hunt all species, all year 'round, it would be the mountains. Hands down.

Trial153

WKR
Without being postive and weighing fabrics i feel that the timberlines are the same pants execpt added layers in the knees ans seat, and couple of there re enforced areas.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
With being postive and weighing fabrics i feel that the timberlines are the same pants execpt added layers in the knees ans seat, and couple of there re enforced areas.
I think I read that as well same material for both minus the waterproof knees and seat

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The mountain pants are too warm for me during September bow hunting elk. I use to wear the old ascents and am planning on wearing the new ascents this September. Sitka just came out with a new pant called the apex pant. After feeling it at a local trade show I'd say they are in between the new ascents and the old ascents as far as weight and thickness. The timberlines are a great pant as well, but I use them from October through December. Any earlier and I burn up. I got rid of my mountains because they are very similar to the timberlines. Any hunt where either the mountains or timberlines would work I would always grab the timberlines, because of the waterproof seat and knees.

TheTone

WKR
I have a bunch of sitka pants, some older ascents, new ascents, older mountains and timberlines. My favorites are the older ascents and mountains. The new ascents are almost silly light (to me) and I really don't think I'll use them much, maybe early archery season and not much else, I really wish I had ordered mtn pants instead of the new generation ascents. I use the timberlines pretty much any time its wet or cold, often with a base layer. The last two years they have been my go to pant for hunts in october and november. I will say I tend to run cold

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a pair of Mountain pants a month ago and used them for late season here in Nebraska and found the cut very comfortable, a touch more modern cut than the grinder pants I have which I also love and are a touch lighter. I was hiking along the river with a base and mid layer underneath and was sweating my butt off. So lesson learned. The next trip out was with just core base layer and mountains pants and was much more comfortable. Temps were high teens to mid 30’s for reference but no experience with September elk but going to use them in Colorado this upcoming September.

OP
G
I have a bunch of sitka pants, some older ascents, new ascents, older mountains and timberlines. My favorites are the older ascents and mountains. The new ascents are almost silly light (to me) and I really don't think I'll use them much, maybe early archery season and not much else, I really wish I had ordered mtn pants instead of the new generation ascents. I use the timberlines pretty much any time its wet or cold, often with a base layer. The last two years they have been my go to pant for hunts in october and november. I will say I tend to run cold
The old Ascents are great but they didn't come in odd waist sizes and I'm definitely between sizes. I jumped when I saw they now offer odd sizes and they do fit perfectly. But I agree the new Ascents are too light for me, maybe if they were half the price. And the new Mountains are really nice but I think will be too hot in typical Sep weather, but perfect if a colder fall. My buddy strictly wears mountain pants all archery though and never complains. But I'd rather have something the old Ascents weight and pack long johns if it gets cold. I hate to keep the Mountains and not use them. I may just cinch up my old Ascents for another season.

jorken

FNG
I go back and forth between Mountain & Ascent pants and wonder if it's just more versatile to keep the Ascent's with core lightweight bottoms through all of Sept.

OP
G
The more I check them out the more I think they're not much heavier than my old model ascents, but they are way louder. Maybe my ascents we're like this new, but these in my experience are second to only the First Lite corrugates for noisy material. They must break in?

Trial153

WKR
In the new ascents you will freeze your nuts off even with a base late sept an oct. there isnt much to them

TravisIN

WKR
I wear the new ascents with a a core heavyweight base layer and can comfortably hike in 30 degreees. Just throwing that out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk