Need some glove advice!

I’m SICK & TIRED of having cold hands that hurt and won’t work well. A combination of age, not an ounce of extra padding (I’m skinny, lol) and probably my new-found diabetes have really made cold weather hard on my hands. I was out duck hunting this morning and it was only about 26 degrees and my fingers HURT; and I had trouble pushing the safety off on the first pod that came in. I’ve GOT to come up with a system that’ll give me the warmth I need with the dexterity to work optics, precision shoot an (hopefully) work a touch screen for digiscoping and ballistic calculator. Obviously this means layering with a base layer glove that’s touch screen friendly. I’d prefer camo as I’m always hunting and guiding something, year-round. A neutral color would be fine but I’d prefer camo. Especially for the predator hunting I do at shotgun range and late season bowhunting whitetail.

I’m looking at Kuiu’s Northstar or Expedition glove and their Super Down glassing mitt, in combination. I have some Kryptek liner gloves that work reasonably with my phone. I KNOW that, with these 3 layers, I’ll be able to keep my hands toasty without hand warmers. My concern with the Expedition Glove is the Neoprene cuff. If I need to shed them quickly, that’s going to be a problem. Maybe the Northstars would be much easier to shed in a hurry? Anyone know whether the Northstars would be easier to remove? I’d like to be able to remove layers other than the base/liner with a flick of the wrist or a quick and easy tug.

I looked at the FL Grizzly also and they’re an option. I’m just not sure if the insulation is comparable in warmth to the Kuiu Super Down mitt? I know it’s not going to be as compressible; but that’s not a huge concern for me. I know everybody at RS hates Kuiu and prefers FL over almost everything but, if you didn’t hate Kuiu (lol, imagine that?) and you compared them objectively with performance being the SOLE criteria, which would you pick?

What other gloves would you recommend for a very warm mid layer (preferably waterproof/breathable) that could also be worn as an outer layer glove but with reasonably good dexterity?

What other outer/over glove or mitt would you recommend? Must be waterproof, high warmth:weight ratio and preferably packable? Please only give options that are currently available. Not looking for a glove that I need to wait until May to get! Also, must be camo or a natural/neutral color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had extensive time in the field this year wearing the Kuiu Northstar, CO 2nd - 4th season and AZ December Hunt. I loved it for the application of mid to late season hunting this year. Mid season here in CO this past season was pretty cold where I hunted. I was switching between the Northstar and the Yukon Pro to see which one would work better for me. It took me opening day of 2nd season here to find the Northstar worked better for me. The Yukon Pro wasn't warm enough. The tips of my fingers got cold quick in anything below freezing temperatures. I was able to take off the Northstar very quickly and operate my smart phone, gps, inreach, and to shoot. I was able to make a 300 yard shot on a deer with six inches of fresh snow on the ground with it snowing. I threw my pack on a sage brush and threw down my right hand glove and was settled down behind my rifle. It worked very well. It was so cold and continued to snow I processed my entire deer wearing the Northstar glove. Glassing for long periods of time in teen temperatures my fingers would get cold in the Northstar though. I upgraded my puffy to the Kifaru LPP, so I can get them warm fairly quickly if I'm ever in that situation again. I have no experience with any of the other gloves. If you don't want to go with Kuiu I think the Sitka Stormfront Glove could be used in a similar application. I just got a good deal on the Northstar.

Titan

WKR
How about some battery operated ones? I've seen a bunch of ski glove style ones, but also some thinner "liner" style gloves.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The north star is a great waterproof easily removed glove that will handle temps into the teens for most. When I need additional warmth using this glove I use a hand warmer.

4ester

WKR
I’ve come to love my cheap wool fingerless mittens.

To me gloves are a consumable item. I’m always losing them, tearing holes in them, etc. They allow me to use my fingers, or flip the tops up and keep them warm.

When its cold I run a set of mittens that have a pouch for a heat packet on top, and the mitten part flips back and they are fingerless gloves.
Got em at cabelas

OP
BrushyHillGuide
When its cold I run a set of mittens that have a pouch for a heat packet on top, and the mitten part flips back and they are fingerless gloves.
Got em at cabelas

I might look for some of those also, thanks for the tip!

How about some battery operated ones? I've seen a bunch of ski glove style ones, but also some thinner "liner" style gloves.

Thanks, but I don’t even want to mess with handwarmers - I forget one or one will turn out to be a dud, etc. I DANG sure don’t want to depend on batteries!

I had extensive time in the field this year wearing the Kuiu Northstar, CO 2nd - 4th season and AZ December Hunt. I loved it for the application of mid to late season hunting this year. Mid season here in CO this past season was pretty cold where I hunted. I was switching between the Northstar and the Yukon Pro to see which one would work better for me. It took me opening day of 2nd season here to find the Northstar worked better for me. The Yukon Pro wasn't warm enough. The tips of my fingers got cold quick in anything below freezing temperatures. I was able to take off the Northstar very quickly and operate my smart phone, gps, inreach, and to shoot. I was able to make a 300 yard shot on a deer with six inches of fresh snow on the ground with it snowing. I threw my pack on a sage brush and threw down my right hand glove and was settled down behind my rifle. It worked very well. It was so cold and continued to snow I processed my entire deer wearing the Northstar glove. Glassing for long periods of time in teen temperatures my fingers would get cold in the Northstar though. I upgraded my puffy to the Kifaru LPP, so I can get them warm fairly quickly if I'm ever in that situation again. I have no experience with any of the other gloves. If you don't want to go with Kuiu I think the Sitka Stormfront Glove could be used in a similar application. I just got a good deal on the Northstar.

Thanks for the great info! I’m fine with Kuiu - I use a lot of their clothing and have since day 1. It’s just that you have to tread so lightly when mentioning the brand or some people get kinda worked up. Lol! I’ve got a Kuiu puffy and it does pretty well at warning my hands but the dang wind or just holding a cold rifle or fold out chair gets my fingers burning and aching in about 90 seconds, these days! Hit 50 and I feel like I’m falling apart. Lol!

The north star is a great waterproof easily removed glove that will handle temps into the teens for most. When I need additional warmth using this glove I use a hand warmer.

Ross-

I thought about sending you a PM because it was your review of the Northstars that pushed me that direction. Glad to hear you’re still recommending them! I’m going to order a pair now that I see the other positive reports as well as yours.

Is the outer shell of the Northstars actually waterproof or is it an underlying layer that’s the actual membrane? Just curious whether they’ll soak up a little moisture on the outside and gain a little weight when out in the rain or, say, handling waterfowl?

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the kuiu Yukon Pro glove. It's essentially just a hardshell waterproof glove. I run insulation gloves underneath. Plenty of options, to just keep your hands dry and be able to grab anything, or put an insulation glove underneath and run them in the later season. Something to look at. These and northstars would be my go to's.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
Ragwool mitten with deer hide mitten over it. Chopper style. If your hands get cold your probably about to die.

pmharvey

FNG
Last season I used the First Lite Grizzly. Best gloves I've ever used. I'm a skinny dude that lives in WA and I hunt in the high country areas. Very tough, well insulated glove. If for some reason your hands still get cold in them you could always use a second thinner glove on the inside. Plus they have the tag soup sale going on right now.

Can't talk to Kuiu or Sitka in the glove department, but they all make great products.

The northstar construction uses basically a double impermeable layer beneath the exterior fabric. The glove is built with these layers: outside layer, membrane, insulation, membrane, inner layer. The membrane is pretty much impermeable and completely sealed with insulation between the two layers.

Gumbo

WKR
Dont forget the Sitka Cold Front...I havent abused them yet but they are warm and waterproof so far

I would suggest against the cold fronts, I too have cold hands and they are are really not that warm for me. They are good down to about 20 degrees for me if I am active. I use mittens for cold weather and the best I have found are King of the Mountain Gauntlet Mittens. They are perfect because they allow you to shoot/operate a scope/touchscreen through a slot in the palm, are designed to be layered with other wool/synthetic gloves, and are very tight-weave wool so they are great in snow/semi-wet conditions (they are not submersible though). I've had mine for a decade and absolutely love them, they are warm enough for me in even the coldest conditions I've hunted, down to -20 or -30 or so. The King of the Mountains are incredible, as is the King of the Mountain Hooded Sweatshirt. And nothing is better in the snow.

While not waterproof, the Gray Wolf Woolen fingerless mitts with the Comformax insulation are super warm. I wear mine down to -45 below out predator hunting with fleece inner gloves. They're the warmest system I've found that still allows me to use my fingers when necessary to shoot or run my snowmachine. I have two sets I like them so much.

Definitely worth checking out and they might offer some sort of waterproof cover as well, although I haven't checked.

Hunting Clothes, Stands, Camo - Gray Wolf Woolens :: Wolfskin Mitts

I've got the kuiu Yukon Pro glove. It's essentially just a hardshell waterproof glove. I run insulation gloves underneath. Plenty of options, to just keep your hands dry and be able to grab anything, or put an insulation glove underneath and run them in the later season. Something to look at. These and northstars would be my go to's.
Yukon vs northstar... Can you break it down a bit as to what situations would be better for each? The website description wasnt super enlightening.... Still think I am going to just do fishing gloves with liners... But always open to other options.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

Dont forget the Sitka Cold Front...I havent abused them yet but they are warm and waterproof so far
+1 for the coldfront as the "shell" glove. Excellent gloves, bombproof in every way. Just get ready to cry when you see the price tag

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Josey D

FNG
Yukon vs northstar... Can you break it down a bit as to what situations would be better for each? The website description wasnt super enlightening.... Still think I am going to just do fishing gloves with liners... But always open to other options.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

I have the Yukon Pro & was highly dissappointed. IMO the fit is sloppy, they are just a lightly insulated shell. Even with merino glove liners under them my hands get cold in these in just normal temps when worn for long periods if not continually moving.

I have the Yukon Pro & was highly dissappointed. IMO the fit is sloppy, they are just a lightly insulated shell. Even with merino glove liners under them my hands get cold in these in just normal temps when worn for long periods if not continually moving.

I had a similar experience with mine. They were just not warm enough.

dotman

WKR
FL Grizzly is super warm, I use only two gloves the FL Talus and Grizzly. These two options have created a layering option for my hands, when warmer I just use the talus, if too cold for just the talus I’ll remove the insulation from the Grizzly and put the outter shell over the talus, if frigid I’ll take the talus off and put the insulation on.