Clothing advice

I recently found this sight as well as have watched a bunch of the Gritty Bowmen and Randy Newburg video's and researching clothes for myself and my son has only confused me more.

Being from the east coast and having only experience hunting whitetails from treestands I understand that the needs are different but it seems like the consensus is that a Soft Shell jacket is useless in the west but then the companies that make them say they are the most versatile jacket in their lineups. Instead I keep reading to have 2 baselayers of different weights, a puffy and a rain jacket. But there is no mention of the temperature ranges for this layering system. Also the Soft Shell looks to me like a great layering jacket that could be the outer layer for most if not all of my season here in NJ.

With where I live I wear Cabela's Microtex pants, if it's between 28-40 I will wear either a pair of jeans or a heavy weight polypropylene base. On top I will start with either an UA short sleeve T or a cold gear zip mock and Cabela's Legacy Fleece jacket with Windshear. This jacket I will wear starting about 50 degrees and will layer under it the shirts I mentioned already I will add a microfleece turtle neck which IMO is the greatest invention for a stand hunter and will add a cheep $25 Lands End Down vest when its under 30. Walking in I will only wear a T shirt so as not to sweat and stink up the place of freeze myself out of the woods.

I am in need of new camo and want to move to better clothing that will do double duty being appropriate for the stand hunting i do here but when my son graduates College in 3 years we want to do a DIY backpacking hunt in Colorado for elk and looking for advice of what to get. To add to my difficulty is that both of us are larger than average. I am 6'2" and weigh 280 wear a 48 long suit with a 40 inch waist. My son is 6'5" and weighs 250 and depending on who makes it is either and XL tall or XXL. I am leaning towards either KUIU but keep reading it runs small or First Lite. I know Sitka is very good but there are too many items in their line forme to figure out what might be good for us.

Thanks in advance!

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sitka, first lite, Kryptek altitude, or skre would be the companies I lean to.

Skre has everything you need for a complete layering system without all of the accessories like you mentioned with Sitka. You can narrow it down from there.

Firstl life is great however some things run small and some things run big. Call them up and talk to them. They are AWESOME to deal with.

Sitka can’t go wrong either. Give them a call too!!

Kryptek altitude I believe only has 11 pieces in that line as well and is really good.

Poser

WKR
Softshells are actually more practical for for Eastern hunting than out West. They can and do have their place, but seldom on multiday Backcountry hunts. When you are talking about Backcountry style hunting Aug, Sept and Oct throughout most of the West, you're not going to be wearing insulation while moving. If and when you stop, you have your puffy to keep you warm therefore, softshells will usually get left behind. You could consider it instead of your puffy for a early season hunt, but your puffy is probably lighter, more packable and more prone to keeping you alive in an unexpected situation. Otherwise, your rain she'll keep you dry and cuts the wind.

I did wear a softshell once on a December Backcountry hunt when it was frigid with high winds. Besides that, it makes for a great snowboarding jacket.... as it has been hashed out many times on here, a softshell is of little value for true Backcountry hunting In the Fall months in the Western, lower 48.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F
Softshells are actually more practical for for Eastern hunting than out West. They can and do have their place, but seldom on multiday Backcountry hunts. When you are talking about Backcountry style hunting Aug, Sept and Oct throughout most of the West, you're not going to be wearing insulation while moving. If and when you stop, you have your puffy to keep you warm therefore, softshells will usually get left behind. You could consider it instead of your puffy for a early season hunt, but your puffy is probably lighter, more packable and more prone to keeping you alive in an unexpected situation. Otherwise, your rain she'll keep you dry and cuts the wind.

I did wear a softshell once on a December Backcountry hunt when it was frigid with high winds. Besides that, it makes for a great snowboarding jacket.... as it has been hashed out many times on here, a softshell is of little value for true Backcountry hunting In the Fall months in the Western, lower 48.

Thanks that makes a lot of sense.

I don't wear insulation while moving in the east either. I like the First Lite zipper setup on the north branch and sanctuary bibs because I can unzip a 3 or 4 inch hole in the thighs while moving to dump heat. You can layer the First Lite stuff pretty effectively in my short experience with it for treestand hunting, but i did get pretty cool in the legs this year in the 2 degree temps wearing north branch pants over uncompahgre pants over allegheny bottoms. My upper half was good with a woodbury over cirrus over a halstead fleece. I think the sanctuary is probably the way I am going for late season treestand hunting next year and leaving the layers for the mountains. Going with a base/mid/insulation/outer layering system is going to be much more versatile but the sanctuary/woodbury stuff is going to be your best bet for late season treestand hunting or the sitka equivalent.

The first thing I'll say is why are you looking for dual purpose clothes that work for both tree stand hunting back east and western backpack hunting? After reading your original post, it seems like you have a pretty good system for tree stand hunting. You didn't say your cold or anything needed upgraded.

I have to agree with Poser's comment about the soft shell for backpack hunting. Great piece for day hunts during mid to late season though IMO. Any of the big brands make quality clothes. I can't help you with size as I'm 5'8".

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ll second the Skre gear as it is simple to comprehend as well as good stuff. Their pants are available in tall (36”). I’ve had very helpful conversations with them on sizing, intended use, etc. Plus a great size exchange policy, quick to ship.

OP
F
The first thing I'll say is why are you looking for dual purpose clothes that work for both tree stand hunting back east and western backpack hunting? After reading your original post, it seems like you have a pretty good system for tree stand hunting. You didn't say your cold or anything needed upgraded.

I have to agree with Poser's comment about the soft shell for backpack hunting. Great piece for day hunts during mid to late season though IMO. Any of the big brands make quality clothes. I can't help you with size as I'm 5'8".

I feel I have a pretty good system for what I do here but things are starting to wear out. I just ordered a new legacy fleece jacket from Cabelas and when I tried it on just wearing a T shirt my bare arm didn't fit in the sleeve. They completely changed the cut and quality and am now looking for replacements.

adamm88

WKR
As someone who hunts the east in hilly terrain i pretty much layer up like people do out west.

Start lookkng for reviews and whst looks like it work for you and go from there. Every person is different on how cold they are and what makes them comfortable at a certain temp, you just have to figure out what works for you in your price range

HeadnWest

WKR
Merino wool would be a key material I would be looking for in clothing for treestand hunting or hunting out West. I run First lite for my lighter weight base layers that I can wear both in WI and out West and for my heavy weight merino I wear Minus 33. I know I don't need to pay high price for heavy camouflage merino that I am never going to wear as an outer layer. So I stick to Minus 33, which is a little cheaper for solid colors. But to me it doesn't lack the quality. Still soft and super warm.

With where I live I wear Cabela's Microtex pants, if it's between 28-40 I will wear either a pair of jeans or a heavy weight polypropylene base. On top I will start with either an UA short sleeve T or a cold gear zip mock and Cabela's Legacy Fleece jacket with Windshear. This jacket I will wear starting about 50 degrees and will layer under it the shirts I mentioned already I will add a microfleece turtle neck which IMO is the greatest invention for a stand hunter and will add a cheep $25 Lands End Down vest when its under 30. Walking in I will only wear a T shirt so as not to sweat and stink up the place of freeze myself out of the woods.

Pants
Sitka Mountain/Apex/Ascent
Kuiu Attacks/Alpines

The pants are really personal preference. Do you like knee pads or not, and if you run warm while you hike.

Baselayers
Sitka Merino/Core Light Weight Crew
Kuiu Merino/Peloton

On top for you I'd go with one of their ss t shirts and a heavier long sleeve (see mid layer). On bottom I'd go with one of the Kuiu options. I absolutely love the zippers. It is super convenient to not have to take your boots off.

Mid layer
Sitka Traverse Zip T/ Core Mid weight Zip T
Kuiu Peloton 97 or 200 Zip T

Based off of what you said I'd go with the lighter weight options because of your outer layer.

Outer Layer
Sitka Core Heavy Weight Hoody or Traverse Cold Weather Hoody
Kuiu Peloton 240 Full Zip Hoody

Many people on this forum love either the Sitka Core Heavy Weight Hoody or the Kuiu Peloton 240 Full Zip Hoody. My brother loves his Kuiu Hoody.

Insilation
Sitka Kelvin Lite Vest
Kuiu Super Down Vest

The Kuiu one will be warmer IMO.

All of these options are similar to the system you have. Now all you have to do is get your hands on some of these pieces and see if they will work for you. You also get to pick whichever camo you want to wear, Open Country, Sub Alpine, Vias, or Verde 2.0.

Last edited:
OP
F
Pants
Sitka Mountain/Apex/Ascent
Kuiu Attacks/Alpines

The pants are really personal preference. Do you like knee pads or not, and if you run warm while you hike.

Baselayers
Sitka Merino/Core Light Weight Crew
Kuiu Merino/Peloton

On top for you I'd go with one of their ss t shirts and a heavier long sleeve (see mid layer). On bottom I'd go with one of the Kuiu options. I absolutely love the zippers. It is super convenient to not have to take your boots off.

Mid layer
Sitka Traverse Zip T/ Core Mid weight Zip T
Kuiu Peloton 97 or 200 Zip T

Based off of what you said I'd go with the lighter weight options because of your outer layer.

Outer Layer
Sitka Core Heavy Weight Hoody or Traverse Cold Weather Hoody
Kuiu Peloton 240 Full Zip Hoody

Many people on this forum love either the Sitka Core Heavy Weight Hoody or the Kuiu Peloton 240 Full Zip Hoody. My brother loves his Kuiu Hoody.

Insilation
Sitka Kelvin Lite Vest
Kuiu Super Down Vest

The Kuiu one will be warmer IMO.

All of these options are similar to the system you have. Now all you have to do is get your hands on some of these pieces and see if they will work for you. You also get to pick whichever camo you want to wear, Open Country, Sub Alpine, Vias, or Verde 2.0.

This really helps thanks for the guidance.

Poser

WKR
When used correctly, I disagree entirely.

What is the correct use?
Outside of Day hunts/front country hunts and within the context of normal fall hunting temps, and when weight really matters, under what situation does a softshell make sense? What is it achieving that is not already achieved by a (mandatory) hardshell and a puffy jacket?

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
On 3-5 day backpack hunts I don't always take a hard shell for one thing. There are lots of times where mixed conditions are repelled easily enough with a softshell that has a decent DWR. When pushing hard in less than very wet weather, the right softshell is weather repellent enough, but breathable enough to keep you from getting swamped from the inside out. Also dries FAST. To be worth using, it's got to breathe; none of the Gore-Windstopper "soft shell" stuff that breathes worse than eVent.

The original softshell concept, shelled micropile from Buffalo (company, not critter), is built on moisture movement by creating a gradient from inside to out. Hard shells just can't keep up when pushing hard. I'm not saying I bring a softshell along on every backpack trip, but a 10-15 oz. hooded softshell or R1 weight fleece paired with windshirt is a great tool that I use pretty often. The very most breathable hard shells (a la Polartec NeoShell) make it harder to argue for a softshell, but there are still trips I take the softy.

This is the kind of weather I'm talking about. 4 day backpack hunt, flurries off and on all day, forecast for nothing worse than that. Patagonia Knifeblade with Polartec Powershield Pro, that was my most weather resistant layer and I stayed totally dry inside and out. With my hard shell at the time, a Rab eVent jacket that I love, I would have been soaked stalking this deer.

26976965279_3dae73349b_b.jpg

Again, I'm not saying it's always in my pack, and I know that a lot of people get in trouble out there thinking softshell's replace insulation or wp/b layers. But to me they have an important place in the line-up.

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
I will offer my .02. I am similar size to your son. Maybe a little shorter (6’2”) and wider (270). I have a bit of everything from Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite. I tend to prefer a bit looser fit and like stuff longer in the body (often buying tall shirts).
This is a system I’ve found to work well:
-Base layer
First Lite Llano SS 2XL
Or
Kuiu Merino 125 SS 3XL
Or
Sitka lightweight Hoody 3XL
I prefer the fit of the Kuiu but the merino of the FL.
-Base layer for cooler weather
Kuiu Merino 145 Zip-T 3XL (fits well)
Chama Hoody
-Mid Layer
First Lite Chama or Chama Hoody 2XL
Or
Kuiu Peloton 200 Hoody 3XL
I love the Chama Hoody but often wear the Peloton due to durability and it blocks wind a bit better. Both are a bit short in the body for me, but not enough to bother me.
-Insulation
Eddie Bauer down Vest 2XL
Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody 2XL
I can layer a bit under the Kelvin Lite and think it’s pretty warm, not toasty. Fit is good.
-Pants
Kuhl Renegade
Prana Brion or Prana Zion
Eddie Bauer
I had some hunting brand pants, but didn’t use them as much as solid color pants. I prefer the Prana material and the cut of the Eddie Bauer’s.
-Rain gear
Yet to find rain gear, mostly looking for a durable, large fitting (for layering) rain jacket.
Hope this helps shine some light for you.
-Also, a lot of outdoor brands have great stuff if you don’t mind solid colors. Good way to get into a good system without spending an arm and leg.
-As for a soft shell, I think they can be super versatile. They are durable, block wind, and can breathe well. I love them for day hunts and hiking. But I don’t think they make the cut for most people when being lightweight is a concern, they’re often heavy and not ideal if there is moderate to heavy moisture (rain/snow). That said, I’m very interested in the new First Lite soft shell.

Last edited: