Kuiu's New Prototype Gear

Can't say being restricted to a pure outer rain gear with insulation made into it would be my choice of gear. Layering is always better and if by chance that insulation gets soaked, it's going to take longer to dry out vs. having it be a stand alone system. Putting the Expedition Gloves inside the SD Mitts looks like a recipe for cold fingers. He should just take a real down mountaineering jacket by Feathered Friends or similar, guaranteed to stay warm at minimal weight.

I just get the feeling this guy hasnt spent much time in the cold before.... Maybe I am totally wrong! The gear looks cool, but I was distracted by the review... Especially the background music...

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

Can't say being restricted to a pure outer rain gear with insulation made into it would be my choice of gear. Layering is always better and if by chance that insulation gets soaked, it's going to take longer to dry out vs. having it be a stand alone system. Putting the Expedition Gloves inside the SD Mitts looks like a recipe for cold fingers. He should just take a real down mountaineering jacket by Feathered Friends or similar, guaranteed to stay warm at minimal weight.

Why would the Expedition gloves worn inside the Super Down mitts result in cold fingers? What am I missing? I would have thought the Super Down mitts would be just like throwing a puffy over your other clothes to stay warm when the temps drop. Not arguing with your assertion, just trying to learn what I’m missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think those Expedition gloves are going to be fairly tight under the SD mitts, causing poor circulation. I think it'd be better to run a thinner type liner glove. If he really wants warm hands, then I'd recommend taking some of those small heat packs to throw in the mitts. I use mitts a lot out in the cold and usually just run a fleece type liner. Works well down to the -45 and colder realms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I have a puffy from Columbia that has the outdry extreme outter, works extremely well. You would have to drive to a bottom of a pool to wet the down out, not sure that would even do it. If kuiu uses synthetic you could easily walk it dry

Kuiu has a really good idea, similar to the new Adanac Systems coming out but lighter fill and weight. Very specific use though

Last edited:

whaack

WKR
Personally I’ll pass on gear where the owner hunts with Trump Jr. and doesn’t support defending public lands. But that’s just me.

JWP58

WKR
Personally I’ll pass on gear where the owner hunts with Trump Jr. and doesn’t support defending public lands. But that’s just me.

Extremely helpful insight, thanks for not taking the thread completely off topic. Glad we didnt go there

Last edited:

diesel7

Banned

Wow, cuz maybe he should be hanging out with the clintons instead!! I really like the concept of that jacket. The pants aren’t something I could use here in my area. But I would like that jacket!

h20fowler

Lil-Rokslider
I'm just looking forward to the new mountain pants coming out this year.

BUT, you'll support a product (Sitka) where the original-founder (Hairston) hunts with Trump Jr. and doesn't support defending public lands? :confused:

Extremely helpful insight, thanks for not taking the thread completely off topic. Glad we didnt go there
Im actually surprised this thread made it 6 posts before the first one. Seriously, how has rokslide not banned the use of the word "KUIU" yet?

whaack

WKR
Wow, cuz maybe he should be hanging out with the clintons instead!! I really like the concept of that jacket. The pants aren’t something I could use here in my area. But I would like that jacket!

I always love how it’s always an “either/or” in hunting forums.

As though if I’m not for trump the only possible alternative is to be pro-Clinton.

diesel7

Banned
I always love how it’s always an “either/or” in hunting forums.

As though if I’m not for trump the only possible alternative is to be pro-Clinton.

You brought this up! I just replied with an alternative. I like Kuiu, and I support Jason.

So ridiculous....seriously. Like little kids arguing over comic book heroes.

Looks interesting, like a full Kenai suit with a weather resistant outer.

Might be great for real cold late season hunts, field hunting duck/geese, or fishing even. Curious to see if it makes it into the lineup.

I just can't see that type of setup being what I'd ever use in the mountains hunting for sheep, even in the cold Marco Polo country. For waterfowl hunting, definitely, but not where high exertion and high moisture moving might be necessary. I'll take the option to add R value and fast breathability every time and just throw a rain shell over that insulation as necessary to help cut wind or driving snow/hail/sleet.

I just can't see that type of setup being what I'd ever use in the mountains hunting for sheep, even in the cold Marco Polo country. For waterfowl hunting, definitely, but not where high exertion and high moisture moving might be necessary. I'll take the option to add R value and fast breathability every time and just throw a rain shell over that insulation as necessary to help cut wind or driving snow/hail/sleet.
That's sort of what I was thinking. The guy in the video, it sounds like he is going on a mountain hunt in Tajikistan. The clothes seem like they would be good for sitting in the cold more than climbing in the mountains. Hell, if you are active, you can be just fine in subzero temps with longjohns, sweats, and a carhart jacket. Anything more and I would be sweating too much.