Kuiu's New Prototype Gear

I was out shoveling my driveway at close to -20ºF this weekend and let me tell you that the last piece of gear I wanted to wear is a rainshell with built-in insulation. There is zero way to properly vent, unless you totally unzip the thing, which makes your core get cold in a hurry. What I did have on was a thin long sleeve base layer and a thicker, older Patagonia R3 fleece. Works perfectly and breathes great. If the guy in the video will be riding a horse most of the day and then getting off and hiking several hundred yards to get into position for a kill shot, then I'd say that the new Kuiu gear would be fine. Otherwise, that piece of gear is a double edged sword.

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
love the comments on here. Growing up and hunting in Alberta for a long time those waterproof outers with insulation would have worked great there. Let me tell the guys who haven't hunted in -40 with 30mph winds you can not have enough layers on. Great idea for a limited market. Now that I'm in BC and mostly the southern part I wouldn't see the need for this. Not sure why the hate for KUIU on here and wish that rokslide gear testers would test some of their gear, seems hard to give good reviews on clothing if they don't try out the major hunting brands IMO. I own everything from Sitka to Arcteryx to underarmour in clothing and don't care who makes it as long as it works for me.

love the comments on here. Growing up and hunting in Alberta for a long time those waterproof outers with insulation would have worked great there. Let me tell the guys who haven't hunted in -40 with 30mph winds you can not have enough layers on. Great idea for a limited market. Now that I'm in BC and mostly the southern part I wouldn't see the need for this. Not sure why the hate for KUIU on here and wish that rokslide gear testers would test some of their gear, seems hard to give good reviews on clothing if they don't try out the major hunting brands IMO. I own everything from Sitka to Arcteryx to underarmour in clothing and don't care who makes it as long as it works for me.
Please, anyone correct me if I am mistaken, but I think the rokslide staff doesnt test kuiu because they arent a sponsor.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

IdahoElk

WKR
Please, anyone correct me if I am mistaken, but I think the rokslide staff doesnt test kuiu because they arent a sponsor.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

The only gear tested is that made by paid advertisers? well that sounds unbiased.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only gear tested is that made by paid advertisers? well that sounds unbiased.
Perhaps kuiu doesn't want the staff testing any of it? Imo the integrity of the testers and truly putting gear though it's paces is what makes staff reviews so great. Some top members have posted up reviews of kuiu gear I'm sure we'll all also be happy to read your indepth review too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved

Rokslide and Kuiu have a long turmoiled history a few years ago that has kind of stuck like glue with some of the folks who have been on the site before 2015.

JP100

WKR
I think the gear looks good.
Using the Kuiu system for a while I found it inadequate for cold(yes im a pussy). I have been wearing all they used to make and been cold, even here in NZ, and especially in Canada. Sitka makes waterproof insulation pieces dont they?
having the waterproof layer traps heat and cuts wind so much better, dont think it needs to be very waterproof though as once it gets proper cold it is pretty dry.

My understanding of asian sheep hunting is alot is horse back and truck hunting, with alot of glassing, where you need heaps of insulation. All the videos and photos ive seen the guys are wearing all the gear they have.I dont think you can be too warm. (I have obviously never been)

Really like the idea of the higher pant back.
Most North American brands I have seen cut all rain gear too short, so the back rides up when sitting and glassing and riding horses etc.
A longer cut rain jacket solves the issue, but the higher cut pants will work aswell.

They should have made a longer cut base layer. I wear a 'shearers' singlet which is about mid thigh length heavy weight merino. For cold glassing/horse riding they make a huge difference. quite a few Canadians I showed them to bought some for ice fishing etc. longer cut makes a big difference in the cold!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the gear looks good.
Using the Kuiu system for a while I found it inadequate for cold(yes im a pussy). I have been wearing all they used to make and been cold, even here in NZ, and especially in Canada. Sitka makes waterproof insulation pieces dont they?
having the waterproof layer traps heat and cuts wind so much better, dont think it needs to be very waterproof though as once it gets proper cold it is pretty dry.

My understanding of asian sheep hunting is alot is horse back and truck hunting, with alot of glassing, where you need heaps of insulation. All the videos and photos ive seen the guys are wearing all the gear they have.I dont think you can be too warm. (I have obviously never been)

Really like the idea of the higher pant back.
Most North American brands I have seen cut all rain gear too short, so the back rides up when sitting and glassing and riding horses etc.
A longer cut rain jacket solves the issue, but the higher cut pants will work aswell.

They should have made a longer cut base layer. I wear a 'shearers' singlet which is about mid thigh length heavy weight merino. For cold glassing/horse riding they make a huge difference. quite a few Canadians I showed them to bought some for ice fishing etc. longer cut makes a big difference in the cold!
I see stika is bringing out a rain jacket that drops to mid thigh. Doesn't think it's insulated though

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk