Puffy Jacket Showdown

Find out how much fill is in each one. Check mountaineering companies, hunting companies have few options compared to some of the other big names out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeadnWest

WKR
Being on a tight budget I found a diamond in the rough. I got a puffy from Midway USA last spring for $49.99. Turned out to be a great jacket and fit me perfect. My medium weighs in at 14oz. has a brush fleece collar and can stuff into about the size of a large nalgene bottle.

MidwayUSA Men's Alverstone Down Jacket

I did the same hunt this fall, brought the FL Cirrus, at 13.5 ounces it is incredible. Works great as a pillow as well. I plan to purchase their new Chamberlain this fall as well.

I have used all the Kelvins in Sitka’s Open Country lineup, and the Kuiu SuperDowns as well, and settled on the Kelvin Down regular. Too many frozen mornings not too. Heavy but warm and small enough when compressed. I run low body fat intentionally and the extra couple oz for warmth is more than offset by training with deadlifts and squats during the year.

tttoadman

WKR
I have the arcteryx thorium jacket. I paid about $170. It has a vislon zipper which I really like. It fits nicely under a jacket. In really late season, I will wear a Kelvin Light vest under it.

bhylton

WKR
not as warm as some, but for $29.99 give the COSTCO "Gerry" brand 650+ down jacket a shake. could pick up a matching vest for like $20 for a bit more warmth

not as warm as some, but for $29.99 give the COSTCO "Gerry" brand 650+ down jacket a shake. could pick up a matching vest for like $20 for a bit more warmth

I scooped one of these up a few months ago. I haven’t taken it into the field but I wear it around town all the time. It’s a fantastic jacket for what it is and what it costs. I got my dad one for Christmas and he basically lives in it. He’s very cold natured and on blood thinners and even he has to take it off sometimes to cool off. I wouldn’t dare say it’s in the same league as the other jackets mentioned here but it’s a great puffy especially for the price.

I did the same hunt this fall, brought the FL Cirrus, at 13.5 ounces it is incredible. Works great as a pillow as well. I plan to purchase their new Chamberlain this fall as well.

Same. I used the Cirrus last year and like it a lot. Can't wait to try the Chamberlin. Just wish they'd offer it in Conifer.

JWP58

WKR
I like my evil kuiu zip t superdown (just wish it was an xl instead of a l for sleeve length, and that i didn't feel like a super villan while wearing it). The sitka kelvin light w/ hood was sweet, shouldnt have sold mine. I did just buy a north face down jacket from sierra for 50 bucks and i love it, will probably just use it this coming season.

Last edited:

Olbadae

Lil-Rokslider
Another deal that can be found is the Kuiu Teton insulated jacket. It is often in the kuiu outlet for under 80$ and it is remarkably warm for weight. I like it so much I bought 2. Layered the two jackets together for stand hunting and was comfortable in the low twenties....

AdamW

WKR
Luke Moffat did a great post on different puffy jackets.

I bought a FL Uncompahgre and a Kifaru Lost Park Parka and decided which ever one I liked better I would keep. Well they're so different I still have them both. The FL is the better option for walking around in moderately cool weather, the Kifaru hands down better for "cold" weather. I wore my Kifaru out hiking a couple weeks ago when it was 9 degrees with just a FL chama underneath. It's a very warm garment.

boom

WKR
i love my old KUIU superdown. i wish i got one size smaller tho. nevertheless,it is my go-to insulation layer that goes under my FL North B jacket when the temps drop. the thing stuffs down to tiny, and is super light.

i'm thinking of buying the ladies version for my wife in a solid (if they have it),for our trip to Peru. i think it will save her ass,since we are going during their winter.

mcseal2

WKR
I've tried several.

The Kuiu Kenai is my favorite for earlier in the year. It is very breathable compared to the others I've tried. I can even wear it on extra cold upland bird hunts when walking all the time. It isn't wind proof and needs a shell over it, but its the only puffy I don't take off every time I hike a half mile. Mine in XXL weighs 17oz.

FL Ucompaghre vest: I don't have the jacket, but this vest is similar in insulation thickness to the Kenai. I can walk more in it than any of the jackets without getting hot. It layers over the Kenai jacket well for colder weather also, day hunting late season when not super concerned about weight I may pack both.

Kryptek Aquillo: This is cut a bit short for my liking. I am not a huge fan of the hood either on it, and waterproof down isn't as breathable as synthetic insulation. It never became a favorite and I have mine up for sale now basically new.

Core 4 Element: I agree it's great for the price. When I got the Kenai I started wearing this one for work. I got a new Kryptek Dalibor II off Camofire this fall because I keep wearing my old hunting one for work. Now I've been wearing the Core 4 puffy under the Kryptek Dalibor II all winter for work and love the combo. Not as warm or breathable as the Kenai, but not bad at all.

Sitka Kelvin: Mine is a waterfowl version that weighs 32oz in 3XL. It is heavy and warm, the warmest I've tried with the possible exception of the Kifaru.

Kifaru Lost Park: This one just came in yesterday. I have been coyote hunting in some really cold weather and wanted to try a new hooded one. Its really warm and the hood is very well cut to allow good vision. It's a little more awkward to get off and on without a full zip. It weighs 28oz in XXL. The removable hood is a great feature too for when it's not windy and the hood on my FL Sawtooth or Kryptek Dalibor II is enough in my layering. I wore it all morning chopping ice around the ranch for cattle and never really overheated, I think it breathes better than the Sitka. It was 25 with a 10mph wind. I need to wear it more to really know how warm it is.

I think the Kuiu Kenai and Kifaru LPP are my picks for early and late season as of right now.