Puffy Jacket Showdown

cfdjay

WKR
Need some help fellas. My Kryptek has worn out it's welcome. I'm not impressed after 2 years of using it. What do you guys use and why? I'm looking at an ultralight pack this year so that is definitely a priority.

wapitibob

WKR
I have used a Kryptec Kratos for a lightweight puffy for years and just bought a Sitka Kelvin Down on sale. Those will cover me down to 0 deg. I'll take the weight of the Sitka for it's warmth. For just a Sept hunt the KUIU Pro should be more than enough and has some better features than the Sitka.

For backpack hunts I have the Sitka Kelvin Lite Jacket. They don't make it anymore though. It is pretty light, hint the name. Within the past few months I got the Kifaru LPP. I am hesitant to take it on a backpack hunt because of the weight. I also think it will be overkill for September in CO, but my late season tags it should work out perfectly. This past season I tried the Kuiu Superdown (not the new Ultra). It was very light and pack able. It was warmer than my Sitka one.

First Lite has a new puffy coming this spring if you’re comfortable being an early adopter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
First Lite has a new puffy coming this spring if you’re comfortable being an early adopter

That's exactly why I posted. I did some research but it seems all the articles and posts are a couple years old. Wanted to see if there are some new puffy's on the market.

Boiler

Lil-Rokslider
They probably don't compare to the big names, but I got a core4element down puffy last year for $60 and I love it! Warm, light, and cheap. Bought another as a "go to town" coat. If you can still find them, they are great for the money!

Beendare

WKR
I like the Syn puffy's for hunts like that. My old Cabelas in Tall with hood and microfiber lined is still my go to....a little longer in body and sleeves.

IMO, The Kuiu and Sitka are about the same....the UA version is the warmest I've seen. REI makes a very good one. There are some cheapies that might work for you...but most of those are skimpy on the insulation designed just to take the chill off.

pew

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the first lite cirrus. It is lighter and warmer for me than my uncompaghre. The Eddie Bauer downlight is a great lightweight down option imo. The Sitka kelvin down is huge and nice for layering imo, but is at least twice as heavy as Eddie Bauer and almost twice the weight of the cirrus. Friends, my wife has the kryptek synthetic puffy and the other mentioned options are far warmer imo.

pew

Lil-Rokslider
Meant to say “fwiw,” autocorrected to “friends”....although that is a nice sentiment:)

cfdjay, don't know which Kryptek you've been using, but my girlfriend and I have both been wearing the Aquillo for a couple years and have been very happy with the performance and quality. My son wears a Kuiu superdown and is very happy with it.

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
cfdjay, don't know which Kryptek you've been using, but my girlfriend and I have both been wearing the Aquillo for a couple years and have been very happy with the performance and quality. My son wears a Kuiu superdown and is very happy with it.

To be honest I'm not sure which one I've been using either. I got it off here used. Don't get me wrong it's not terrible but I have to think there's something better out there. I'm leaning towards Kuiu's new Superdown Ultra. I can't believe it's that lightweight. That makes it very attractive to me.

twall13

WKR
The Aquillo is down insulation and has a hood. The kratos is synthetic insulation and doesn't have a hood that I'm aware of. I really like the Aquillo personally.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
The Aquillo is down insulation and has a hood. The kratos is synthetic insulation and doesn't have a hood that I'm aware of. I really like the Aquillo personally.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It has a hood so I guess it's the Aquillo

To be honest I'm not sure which one I've been using either. I got it off here used. Don't get me wrong it's not terrible but I have to think there's something better out there. I'm leaning towards Kuiu's new Superdown Ultra. I can't believe it's that lightweight. That makes it very attractive to me.

In that price range and weight range is also the Montbell Plasma 1000 Parka. Supposedly 1000 fill down, <9 oz weight, 3.4 of which is down fill.

Etexag

FNG
I have the Kuiu Superdown and it is extremely warm.

My favorite though is the Arcteryx Atom.

I picked up one of the 800fill jackets on clearance from EB last year and it worked great all year for me. I think I ended up buying it in the summer for like $60 and it's a dark green color.

The Kifaru one I bought is tan so I can wear it around town. I have loved it since I have bought it. It is the warmest puffy I have. I don't know any that are as warm but don't break the bank. I got mine off the classifieds here for $210. I sold my Kuiu Superdown for $150 so I didn't necessarily break the bank.