Affordable gear

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
If you're serious about going cheap, you can go pretty darn cheap and survive... I went cheapo last year to "dip my toe" into backpack hunting (7mi hike into a wilderness area for 4 days, windy days in the 50s-70s, nights into the 30s).

I believe this is the entire list of things I bought. Was I super comfortable every night? No. Was my pack light? Heck no. I survived, was comfortable enough, and got a great idea of where to go with purchases for "next time", which in my case will be this fall.

$395 (All the prices are what I actually paid when deal watching, or what they cost right now.)

$20 - Propper Nylon Tac Pants (No longer on Sierra Trading, Wal-Mart has nylon, DWRed, stretch pants from Wrangler for $22-23)
$13 - Military Field Pant liner (Amazon)
$7 - Realtree Quarter Zip (Wal-Mart January clearance)
$13 - Realtree fleece jacket $13 (WM clearance)
$30 - Trespass Quikpak Rain jacket (STP)
$12 - Russell Polyester undies (WM)
$13 - Smart Wool liner socks (Amazon)
$10 - Realtree Wool blend midweight socks (WM)
$84 - Keen Targhee ii Mid Boots (Amazon)

$22 - Ozark Trail kids dome tent (WM)
$20 Therm-a-Rest Ridgerest SOLite 3/4 (Amazon)
$25 Ancheer Sleeping bag (Amazon)

$140 Eberlestock Just One pack (Rokslide classifieds)

You might tack on an extra $100-150 or so for a water filtration/transport system, game bags, knife, wind indicator, etc, but it sounds like you probably have some of those items anyhow and they are fairly personal on what you might need/want imo. If you spread your purchases out, watching for sales and random Amazon price drops, you can probably shave an extra $50 and you'd hardly notice the extra expense in your monthly budget.

adamm88

WKR
I scan ebay, Classified sections all the time, I have a list of what im interested and and try and peice it together from there, The stuff i buy new i usually buy on sale or close out, Iv gotten a ton of deals on ebay. Everyone wants Sitka of first lite or one of the other big names but theres other great gear out there for cheap. Good luck, Look through the forum sections and read a ton and you get a ton of ideas.

Even though a back country hunt 5 miles in sounds cool, you really dont need to go that far to find elk if thats your goal. I found that a mile or so in there were elk to be found in the area i hunt in Idaho. I still like to camp in there just because it saves me a lot of time in the mornings, but im not to far in that i cant make a trip to the truck and back in half a day if needed. That means if you get soaked because of cheap gear its not a huge deal, hike out and dry off if needed. I think you can have a great time with the budget you have, just go and do it.

BTW, where abouts in ohio do you live?

jmez

WKR
Cabela's microtex, in the bargain cave right now for $15. Polyester, quick drying breathable material. Great stuff, lasts forever. Get a couple sets for $120. They also have several different merino tops, hoodies etc cheap. Can probably get completely set up with clothes for $300-$400. Buy the "specialized" name brand gear and that will get you one set of pants and a top.

That time of year weather won't be a huge issue. You can find a lot of deals on ebay. I spent several years using a tent I got used for $65 on ebay. Paired that with a synthetic Eureka sleeping bag I paid $40 for on sale and a good pad. You don't need expensive, top of the line gear.

The one area I wouldn't skimp is boots, buy a good set and make sure they are broken in well. Everything else you can buy used, cheaper gear and be fine.

OP
C

Cruzzer3

FNG
Even though a back country hunt 5 miles in sounds cool, you really dont need to go that far to find elk if thats your goal. I found that a mile or so in there were elk to be found in the area i hunt in Idaho. I still like to camp in there just because it saves me a lot of time in the mornings, but im not to far in that i cant make a trip to the truck and back in half a day if needed. That means if you get soaked because of cheap gear its not a huge deal, hike out and dry off if needed. I think you can have a great time with the budget you have, just go and do it.

BTW, where abouts in ohio do you live?

We live in northwest Ohio. Called Defiance county. I’m sure we will have fun. I greatly appreciate everyone’s info. Everyone is so helpful. My goals will be to stay the week in the wilderness. Enjoy the time with my wife. See a bull. See a decent bull. I don’t even care if I harvest a bull but just be hunting and be able to lay eyes on one will make me happy. I was thinking any elk would do. But we are flying. I’m actually starting to think twice about taking a elk unless it is a trophy. A trophy to me prob would be a spike lol but I have to consider the cost of flying meat home. Pretty much we are going for the experience. That’s why I freak out about clothing and comfort. With odds of a kill so against me. I don’t want the experience to be miserable

dotman

WKR
We live in northwest Ohio. Called Defiance county. I’m sure we will have fun. I greatly appreciate everyone’s info. Everyone is so helpful. My goals will be to stay the week in the wilderness. Enjoy the time with my wife. See a bull. See a decent bull. I don’t even care if I harvest a bull but just be hunting and be able to lay eyes on one will make me happy. I was thinking any elk would do. But we are flying. I’m actually starting to think twice about taking a elk unless it is a trophy. A trophy to me prob would be a spike lol but I have to consider the cost of flying meat home. Pretty much we are going for the experience. That’s why I freak out about clothing and comfort. With odds of a kill so against me. I don’t want the experience to be miserable

Truthfully I would then suggest you just use this as a scouting trip, why pay $1300 in tags with no true desire to kill?

Would it be possible to fly there then rent a u haul truck or something similar to drive the meat home? I was kicking that idea around if I couldn’t get my brother or any friends to go

OP
C

Cruzzer3

FNG
Well we love to hunt. A uhaul could be done not sure the cost or if a truck would be better. When we looked at a truck it was almost 1000$ to rent the days we would be there and for the tri home. If we killed bulls European mount worthy or better we would pay the price. Just don’t think we want to spend 1000$ to fly a cow home.

Well we love to hunt. A uhaul could be done not sure the cost or if a truck would be better. When we looked at a truck it was almost 1000$ to rent the days we would be there and for the tri home. If we killed bulls European mount worthy or better we would pay the price. Just don’t think we want to spend 1000$ to fly a cow home.
When you fly there are you renting a vehicle? I live by Detroit and I believe it’s at least a 25 hour drive to Colorado depending on what part of the state. So it is like 2 travel days or so. Does buying plane tickets and renting a vehicle for the week cheaper then driving? I’m not trying to be difficult here I’m just trying to weigh all the options out for you. I want to do a trip like this in the next few years and am very interested in all this. You may have your own reasons why driving isn’t doable. I know if I was taking my wife that long in a car she would be in a lot of pain from arthritis and stuff.

I don’t mean to derail the conversation just trying to see all the options.

OP
C

Cruzzer3

FNG
When you fly there are you renting a vehicle? I live by Detroit and I believe it’s at least a 25 hour drive to Colorado depending on what part of the state. So it is like 2 travel days or so. Does buying plane tickets and renting a vehicle for the week cheaper then driving? I’m not trying to be difficult here I’m just trying to weigh all the options out for you. I want to do a trip like this in the next few years and am very interested in all this. You may have your own reasons why driving isn’t doable. I know if I was taking my wife that long in a car she would be in a lot of pain from arthritis and stuff.

I don’t mean to derail the conversation just trying to see all the options.

Yea we will be renting a vehicle. My class I am taking for work covers my travel cost. They will not cover travel cost of driving there. So my wife and I will have all travel paid for minus the days I stay after the class. From the date the class is over we will rent a vehicle. That is cheap compared to renting a vehicle and driving back to ohio. Which was our orriginal plan. but just the rental to drive from colorado to ohio was above 800$. So we have no travel cost to get to colorado and back to ohio. that is the only reason we are flying.

To the person that recommended Darwin on the trail.Thank you so much. I have been binge watching his channel and already has prob saved me 500$.

I ordered the cabelas pants off of the bargain cave. 15$ i couldnt beat that price. If they dont work well for me I can use them early season here.

Costco clothing... Interesting. Didnt know they had clothing. We just want to be comfortable, warm and dry. we would be happy.

So the one tag thing. I got to hunt in Hawaii while my wife watched. She was supposed to hunt but the cost was crazy for 2 people. Her dream was to swim with sea turtles. She got to accomplish that dream and I got to hunt a ram and a Goat. Killed a nice Billy and a nice Ram. So if we wanted i could let her hunt but lets be realistic......... I want to hunt lol.

All the other info on here thanks so much. I have a notebook with all info started. Gear list, cost and tips. Thanks a lot to all of you so far for commenting.

adamm88

WKR
Just a thought why dont one of you get a bull tag and one get a cow tag? Just a thought then you both get to hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since I’m originally from the same county and live where you want to hunt I’ll give you some ideas for traveling costs. If flying or driving a rental research the cost from near by bigger towns and have a friend or family member give you a ride from there. Ft. Wayne, Dayton, Detroit and occasionally Chicago has has been cost effective for my family. We have saved several hundred dollars a trip doing this.