Affordable gear

Cruzzer3

FNG
Hello,

September I head to Colorado for some training. My class ends on Sept 13. With my travel covered by FEMA. I thought this would be a great time to plan our first elk hunt. after my class is over I will take vacation. My wife agreed and we are now eager to plan our hunt. With or travel from Ohio covered I figured we could do this fairly cheap. Then I actually start to plan this hunt. Two of us hunting is gonna cost us 1300 in tags alone. Ok no big deal, we saved on travel. Then I start researching clothing. We need new everything. We whitetail hunt we don't need layers here. Old about everyone else but we can't afford 3000$ in clothing alone. Plus packs, stovesand 800$ sleeping systems. I'd say we have about a 1000$ clothing budget we need a complete clothing system plus boots. Realistic? Crazy?? I talked to Aron Snyder and he told me I was over thinking this clothing situation. With my profession I'm all about being fully prepared. It's a terrifying thought to not be protected or in need of help out there. Also with the tent statement. We plan on using our hammock systems we use in our backcountry adventures in Michigan.

LandYacht

WKR
Not sure what you have for whitetail hunting, but I’d bet you could bring a fleece pullover you already have and a rain jacket and be just fine when combined with your current camo.

I’d agree that you are overthinking it. You don’t need that much and most of it will be in your pack the majority of the time anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

colersu22

WKR
The good news is you have 8 months to collect gear and plan for the trip. Is the $1000 between the both of you or each? I would shop the classifieds here for used gear and sales online. I picked up a pair of lowa renegades for $125 off amazon and have worn them the last 2 years and have countless miles between hiking a couple times a week and hunting season. You can pick up none hunting brand clothes as well like the prana Zion pants.

There is a lot of good info on here from experienced people that spend more time in the woods and out of the woods. There was a budget thread last year that had a lot of good options if you search.

This thread has some good advice, would probably help if you listed what gear you have currently like flood said, that way guys can narrow down a list of what to recommend.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/backpacks/9124-1500-challenge-2.html?highlight=budget+challenge

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/clothing/65822-poor-guy-wear-hunt-mountains.html?highlight=budget

Last edited:
There is a first lite buy sell trade group on Facebook full of good dudes were you can get used stuff. You aren’t going to need a lot for September hunting I wouldn’t think.

OP
C

Cruzzer3

FNG
Awesome I'll check those out. It whitetail gear is way too heavy for hiking. Think of heavy snow pants or work carhart overalls. The wife is already complaining the cheap trip I mentioned is adding up. She is a die hard Hunter so she understands the cost. Just hard pulling the trigger. We really have nothing that would work. Even down to our socks need replaced. Thanks for the links I really appreciate it

dotman

WKR
Sales sales sales, tons of great sales going and you don’t need tons of clothes. Don’t be afraid to pick up good used gear out of the classifieds especially in a few months as people upgrade to the latest and greatest. For clothes you don’t have to go camo either, earth tones work great out west, get merino baselayers and stay away from cotton. You can really do it in an affordable manner or really expensive, but the most expensive high end stuff is by no means required.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sierra trading post, not a lot of camo but great prices on clothing that will get the job done. Camofire.com is one to check every day.

dotman

WKR
Eddie Bauer makes great clothes as well, the guide pro pant is perfect and their puffy jackets will be cheap in a month or two as they get ready for spring season.

dotman

WKR
Oh and another point, you don’t need multiple items, most people take way too many pairs of pants, socks, shirts of every weight their first time. For a week I take 2 pair of socks and undies, 1 pant (what I wear in) and 2 baselayer shirts, midlayer, puffy and rain jacket/pant. In Sep I rarely use baselayer bottoms, if your legs get cold put on your rain pants while sitting, they won’t be cold while moving.

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eddie Bauer fan myself. Their downlight puffys are a real bargain when on sale which is quite often. Plus they have a women’s line in almost everything they make.

Another vote for Eddie Bauer. Quality clothes, warm and sales pretty often. Shop sales and keep an eye on the classifieds here. A lot of people will be dropping gear from last year to get the latest and greatest. You could get the job done in Carharts if you needed to but it wouldn't be very comfortable.

TBarron

WKR
+1 for Prana Zion’s. I found 2 pairs for less than $40 each on amazon warehouse deals. Like these better than $120 Kuiu attacks. Besides that just keep an eye out here on the classifieds and hit up a Cabela’s bargain cave.

AdamW

WKR
REMAIN CALM! Haha. Rokslide can make you spend thousands or save you thousands depending on the day. :D

Lots of good advice here already. I'm only 1 western hunting season in, but here are some random things I've learned from Rokslide:

1. Narrow down what type of hunting you want to do. Base camp/truck camp near the vehicle then hike in every day? Hike in X distance and set up camp in one location? Potentially move every day or so? Be realistic about what you want to do and that will greatly steer your gear requirements/nice to haves.

2. Look at non-hunting-specific brands for clothing and wait for sales. I like Eddie Bauer stuff as well but if it isn't 40-60% off depending on the season, you aren't trying hard enough. Sign up for their rewards thing too, I get $10 off regularly.

3. Post a WTB thread in the classifieds and also hawk the classifieds for used gear. No forum I've ever been on sells more gear than Rokslide. If you post something for sale, it is 8 pages back in a day. Keep your eyes on the Gear Deals here in the classifieds. You'll be on the can checking your phone and someone from Rokslide will turn you on to $18 merino base layers.

4. Triage your gear needs based on #1. If you're hunting with your wife or a family member, you can share a lot of gear. Stove, etc.

5. You don't need a full FL/Sitka/Kuiu clothing system. For first rifle season in CO my clothing list was: merino boxer x 2, merino long top and bottom, fleece top and bottom, EB Guide pro pant, FL Uncompahgre puffy, rain gear, Darn Tough socks x 2. Sierra Trading Post and Cabela's

6. There are only so many details you can nail down completely. Don't kill yourself over it and enjoy the experience. You're about to have an incredible time, elk or none.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Don’t forgot about army surplus stuff. The base layer stuff like the silk weight and the level 2 grid fleece are made from polar tek power dry or whatever they call it. Mos of the midlayer fleece is too. It’s the same shit that cost $100 for like $10/$20 if you find the right deals. It may be a little heavier then Sitka but it’s made for grunts so it’s pretty bomb proof stuff. As long as you stay away from cotton you should be good to go.

FreeRange

WKR
A website I've recommended on here a few times is LWHiker.com it sends you email updates of gear for sale postings on a number of backpacking/climbing forums. At a minimum it'd be the way to get your sleeping bags/quilts, pads and shelter covered. You could also go the non-camo route and save a bundle on your clothing and be very light. Plenty of options on here too but a lot of the best deals get bought up fast and with the LWHiker website a higher volume turnover of gear is available to you.

We all want to backpack hunt but truck camping will help you save a lot for your first trip and there's something to be said for hunting that middle ground short of where the backpackers and horse packers are at and further than where the day hunters are. Hunt smart and you can still get away from folks and into animals.

I really like Outdoor research for value non-hunting clothing and a lot of their stuff is available in drab colors. Especially like their Ferrosi pants and jacket, Helium rain gear for super lightweight or Foray rain gear for affordable durable rain gear. As has been mentioned above between some cheap poly baselayers, a fleece, a cheap down jacket (plenty of useable options on Amazon or at Costco) and some rain gear you'll survive. If there's one thing I'd splurg on it'd be something like the Sitka Lightweight Core Hoody and oversize it a bit, you can fit a baselayer and fleece under it, or nothing, and be camo all the time. Add in a cheap, lightweight windshirt under it and you'll be set for anything. Kind of reverse layering, not ideal but it saves you buying everything in camo, sticking with camo everything limits your options and adds $$$ to every piece.

If the OP hasn't heard of camofire, I'd recommend looking at it. They consistently have good clothing deals. Make sure to look early in the morning, because great deals get sold out quick!

ljalberta

WKR
I agree with Snyder and some others, you're way overthinking it. Fancy gear is not worth spending more than you can afford or getting into financial stress with the wife over. As others have said, stay away from the hunting brands, look for used gear, and sales. People have been doing backpack hunting for years with far less fancy gear. Costco and Goodwill/Value Village can be your best friend.

IE: Costco Clothing setup (prices are estimates, but I think I'm rounding up)

Costco travel/hiking pants (forget the name): $20.00
Costco 100% Merino long sleeve x2: $20.00 (each)
Costco Merino Trail Socks (3 pack): $10.00
Costco Down Jacket: $25.00
Costco Fleece (optional): $15.00
Costco Pant base layer: $5.00
Costco Rain Pants/Jacket: $80.00 (set)

Thats essentially a brand new and complete clothing system - minus the boots for $150-$200.

A stove/cook set (lightweight) can be had off Amazon for extremely cheap.

No need to spend $800 on a sleep system either. Especially if you're planning on running hammocks, you can get the Hammockgear Econ line of quilts for cheap... Econ Quilts Or again, Costco sell Klymit pads and and bags on the cheap. A lighter bag can also be complimented with a $15.00 Costco down throw to bring up the warmth level.

You might not be quite as light, or quite as fancy, but I've run essentially this same clothing setup (I run Marmot Precip rain-gear though) and it's performed fantastic. A number of year ago, when deciding if I wanted to get back into backpacking, I also hauled around a 35+ year old brick of a tent and a full-size car-camping walmart sleeping bag. Again, not as light or as fancy, but it gets the job done.

Check out this backpacking gear list for other ideas and options. There's some good stuff in here. I've compiled a list of Ultracheap and Ultralight equipment for those just starting out, what do you think? : Ultralight

I'm a gear-junky as much as everyone on here, and I've been slowly able to upgrade my gear over the years (my wife is amazed the process never ends:D), but don't be afraid to start with the economical stuff.

Eddie Bauer fan myself. Their downlight puffys are a real bargain when on sale which is quite often. Plus they have a women’s line in almost everything they make.

Another fan here of EB gear. Their ascent line is great for hunting and backpacking.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some brands that are reasonably priced when not on sale and have good quality. Alps, slumber jack, kelty, MountainSmith.

Yes Costco, sams club for base layers, socks, insulation although usually light on the fill but you can layer two and still be under budget, trekking poles.

I mentioned Sierra trading post earlier, they do have some camo on occasion but it’s a pain to find sorting through their menu. Type a brand name in their search box like Sitka, nomad, kryptek, etc. they’re a close out store so inventory is hit or miss.

Marmot precip rain gear is hard to beat for the money plus they have women’s version and offer the pants in a full leg zip (highly recommended for the convenience).

Russell base layers from Walmart have treated me good.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome I'll check those out. It whitetail gear is way too heavy for hiking. Think of heavy snow pants or work carhart overalls. The wife is already complaining the cheap trip I mentioned is adding up. She is a die hard Hunter so she understands the cost. Just hard pulling the trigger. We really have nothing that would work. Even down to our socks need replaced. Thanks for the links I really appreciate it

I'd call it an investment into some great adventures for you and her in the future.

R