Thoughts on Underarmour's ridge reaper barren products?

Just moved out to AZ and want to update my gear. I've had every intention of going with FL or some other merino wool fabric but after talking with some folks at the local pro shops it seems like between the rocks and the cacti wool just gets shredded. Got me thinking about other brands out there and I realized I haven't heard much about it other then seeing it on solo hunter with Remi Warren. If anyone has some insight about the product I'd be really interested on how well it has held up and how it does with odor management.

I have a set of soft sheets and a few other pieces. They have held up fine here in the northeast for a couple of seasons. I don’t know if they do anything particularly well in terms of odor management. Pockets are well thought out and construction is on part with FL and Sitka imo. Truth is, I think there is a tier of clothing, like a lot of gear, that once you reach that level, you are in a coke vs pepsi or Chevy vs Ford argument. I haven’t used enough of their stuff or used it hard enough to say it is better than my first lite gear, but in my experience, it is in the same category.

OP
B
Ha, I can appreciate that analogy and thanks for your input. From my limited exposure the UA gear seems like quality gear but all you ever read about on these forums are the other popular brands like FL, kuiu, or sitka (not knocking those brands I know they make great products). My main concern is just how well they hold up to cacti and cat's claw. Not sure if you spot and stock up there but imagine a bunch of green briar and locus trees everywhere and you will get an idea of what it is like moving around out here.

The few shirts I have are pretty durable one is like a fleece insibe and the outer side is almost a soft shell material but it’s not. It dries really fast but it’s only like a 100 weight or maybe a 150. I got it for over half off. I wouldn’t pay full price for any of it. To me it seems like for the price they ask for the stuff it should have more features like pit zips and 2 way zippers and stuff like that

Ha, I can appreciate that analogy and thanks for your input. From my limited exposure the UA gear seems like quality gear but all you ever read about on these forums are the other popular brands like FL, kuiu, or sitka (not knocking those brands I know they make great products). My main concern is just how well they hold up to cacti and cat's claw. Not sure if you spot and stock up there but imagine a bunch of green briar and locus trees everywhere and you will get an idea of what it is like moving around out here.

I do move around a lot. Still and mobile ambush hunting. I have bust some brush with my ridge reaper softshell pants. In truth they have held up a little better than my corrugates and my kuiu attacks. Less pilling and they seem to offer better defense on thorns. In fairness, the have a fleece backer and I don’t own the fl north branch pants or eqiuvalant kuiu pants. I think my Sitka timberlines are on par while busting brush but the have knee pads and reinforced knees.

Not sure how that would translate to cacti and whatever evil you have there.

It looks good, I like that pattern well enough. The kicker for me with first lite or Sitka for that matter is how much money they put back into hunting and conservation. Does anyone know if or how much kryptek or UA give back? I know for sure if I buy UA some of that money is going to Maryland Terrapins sports, which makes me puke, lol. To be that guy, I feel like KUIU dollars just go towards trips to cement Jason Hairston as the greatest sheep hunter of all time. Of course if you give a lot already to conservation it probably wouldn’t matter if to you if your gear guys give or not.

GIS

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased a pair of storm covert pants and long sleeve shirt a few years ago and they have held up really well. The pants have ripstop and I have a few holes but nothing major. I can only wear the shirt (poly) one day before it starts to stink.

I did get one of the threadborne shirts last year and it breathed a lot better and managed odor better.

I really like the ridge reaper barren camo pattern but they don't have the layering options that FL or Sitka have.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
B
Bear_Bryan you bring up a good point regarding the money the other companies give back to wildlife management and public lands. I'll have to take that into consideration.

OP
B
Thanks for all of the info guys. From what I am hearing UA makes some decent stuff and may be worth considering.

JD619er

WKR
Under armor definately pro hunting they have a huge market as far as out east. Have some pretty big names wearing their clothing as well. Not that I get wrapped up in that, but they aren't afraid to put it out there. I'm going to have to do some research on whether or not they pay into conservation at all. If they do I'd be more apt to support them in casual clothes as well.

OP
B
I did a little digging and found some posts stating that they have donated a good bit to BHA and RMEF. Doesn't seem like they contribute as much as FL.

I pretty much like that UA ridge reaper barren products/sets I got! Been using them for 2-3 years when hunting with my boyfriend! Pretty water resistant, doesn’t smell, doesn’t make much sound while walking unlike other clothing and is still in good condition! Got the forest ridge reaper set too and I can’t complain!

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
Under armor definately pro hunting they have a huge market as far as out east. Have some pretty big names wearing their clothing as well. Not that I get wrapped up in that, but they aren't afraid to put it out there. I'm going to have to do some research on whether or not they pay into conservation at all. If they do I'd be more apt to support them in casual clothes as well.
I wouldn't consider Under Armour pro hunting. They dumped that Sarah Bowmar and her husband after he legally killed a bear with a spear and the anti-hunters went nuts. Under Armour then cut their contract with them right after. I have boycotted Under Armour products since. I am surprised to see big name hunters like Remi and the Lakosky's still wearing their hunting clothes.

JD619er

WKR
I wouldn't consider Under Armour pro hunting. They dumped that Sarah Bowmar and her husband after he legally killed a bear with a spear and the anti-hunters went nuts. Under Armour then cut their contract with them right after. I have boycotted Under Armour products since. I am surprised to see big name hunters like Remi and the Lakosky's still wearing their hunting clothes.

They're still a big name business. How can they not be pro hunting when they have an entire hunting line lol I know plenty of hunters that didn't necessarily celebrate the bomars and their way of hunting but I guess that makes then anti hunting as well?

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
They're still a big name business. How can they not be pro hunting when they have an entire hunting line lol I know plenty of hunters that didn't necessarily celebrate the bomars and their way of hunting but I guess that makes then anti hunting as well?
Exactly they are a big name business and they will keep a hunting line because people will continue to buy it and UA will keep laughing all the way to the bank. I’m not saying I personally want to hunt with a spear but as long as it’s done legally I think we still need to stand behind every legal method of hunting. I would rather give my money to companies that give back to conservation and openly support our sport. In my eyes when UA aborted the Bowmars contract with them that told me they were worried about taking a hit in sales/ tarnishing their brand name and not standing behind hunters who are buying their hunting products. But to each their own