How much does Sitka cost? Is it worth it?

From time to time I see the threads like "Sitka vs. First Lite" and "Kuiu vs. Sitka" and so on. Since I was more or less finished with buying anymore Sitka and have completed my system, I thought I would share with you the costs involved with purchasing their system, so to speak. I must say that the clothing below is THE MOST COMFORTABLE outdoor clothing I have ever worn. I come from many years (decades) of mountaineering, backpacking, and hiking. This whole system has allowed me to remain comfortable from -20 degree temperatures all the way up to 95 degrees. (Anything higher than 95 is just not comfortable in my book, but that isn't the clothing's fault.) I wear these in any kind of weather, which has allowed me to continue my fitness and recovery of my shoulder injury. No longer do I call a hike on account of the weather. Another positive aspect is how each piece of clothing integrates with another. I can wear ALL of this clothing without much trouble at all.

That being said, it comes at a cost mind you. Below you will find the item I purchased, the MSRP, the discount I found and then my final price:

Item Price Discount% Final Price
Cloudburst Jacket $ 349.00 0% $ 349.00
Dewpoint Pant $ 369.00 20% $ 295.20
Mountain Pant $ 199.00 24% $ 151.20
Ascent Pant $ 189.00 45% $ 104.03
Kelvin Lite Hoody $ 249.00 20% $ 200.00
Kelvin Down Hoody $ 389.00 32% $ 264.52
Kelvin Primaloft Vest $ 189.00 40% $ 112.50
Stormfront Glove $ 149.00 34% $ 99.00
Sitka Beanie x 2 $ 60.00 50% $ 30.00
Core Heavyweight Balaclava $ 40.00 20% $ 32.00
Neck Gaiter $ 35.00 0% $ 35.00
Bivy 30 $ 349.00 20% $ 279.19
Core Lightweight LS x 2 $ 138.00 0% $ 138.00
Core Midweight Zip T $ 89.00 20% $ 71.20
Core Heavyweight Zip T $ 129.00 22% $ 100.00
Core Lightweight Bottom $ 69.00 30% $ 48.30
Core Midweight Bottom $ 99.00 30% $ 69.30
Traverse Glove $ 35.00 0% $ 35.00
Coldfront GTX Glove $ 149.00 20% $ 119.20
Mountain WS Glove $ 89.00 21% $ 70.00
90% Jacket $ 289.00 41% $ 171.69
Pack Cover $ 79.00 0% $ 79.00
Sitka Core Gloves x 2 $ 50.00 40% $ 29.98
Sitka Shooter Glove $ 59.00 45% $ 32.50
Sitka Cap $ 30.00 20% $ 24.00
Total $ 3,870.00 24% $ 2,939.81

My thoughts were, while spending the last 2 years buying this stuff, that I would only buy when either the items were on sale or I absolutely needed them. What surprised me was how, after all of that time, I only saved on average 24%. It certainly makes me think about how, had I known which item worked best for my situation, I would have just purchased everything from Blackovis.com or something and had been done with it. However, this would have been impossible since I would not know which item works best in each situation.

I imagine a few of you will see this and have sticker shock, a little like I did. But the main point of this post is to make people aware how much a system can cost. When people are walking into this sport, they should know the end cost. Yeh, you can mix and match, like I have seen people do. But maybe if more people might post on how much their KUIU system cost, or their First Lite system, we can truly compare and contrast the differences. I am pretty sure that Sitka will cost the most but hopefully some people can determine by sharing these costs whether it is worth it or not. To me, it is not that expensive when I consider how I spend nothing for a gym membership and I am really healthy for a middle aged parent. The costs above is minimal in comparison.

So.. how much have you spent on your gear?

Last edited:
I pick and choose what to spend $$$ on and what to skip. I've got good boots, a good pack, and am working on a sleep system. I then add the clothing I need to get the job done with a reasonable amount of comfort.

I'd much rather choose to buy a tag or two rather than an excess of clothing. Just for fun, I'm gonna pick on your list a bit.

A. $700 in rain gear; seems silly to me considering that where I hunt, it doesnt rain THAT much. My light, packable rainwear works fine for my style. If it's pouring, I'll settle into a shelter or the truck and ride it out for a bit. $700 can get a nice shelter and a stove.

B. You have 7 pairs of gloves total over $350. I have one pair of gloves/mitts for the cold. If it rains, they come off because if its raining, its not cold.

C. There are 4 items that do the same thing as 2 different jackets (beanies/balaclavas/gaiters/hoodies)

B. $400 in pants (not including rain gear). Thats another tag. Any stretchy hiking pant works great.

Dont mean to pick on you, but wanted to show where others may put resources.

OP
NevadaZielmeister
Please allow me to explain my reasons behind the choices I made despite your valid points.

I pick and choose what to spend $$$ on and what to skip. I've got good boots, a good pack, and am working on a sleep system. I then add the clothing I need to get the job done with a reasonable amount of comfort.

I'd much rather choose to buy a tag or two rather than an excess of clothing. Just for fun, I'm gonna pick on your list a bit.

A. $700 in rain gear; seems silly to me considering that where I hunt, it doesnt rain THAT much. My light, packable rainwear works fine for my style. If it's pouring, I'll settle into a shelter or the truck and ride it out for a bit. $700 can get a nice shelter and a stove.

The weather I get is not necessarily wet, but windy. Applying a goretex layer to my clothing makes me a LOT warmer. Most of my hiking is down at high altitude, where winds can get really moving. I found this layer to be the greatest warm per ounce in the whole kit.

B. You have 7 pairs of gloves total over $350. I have one pair of gloves/mitts for the cold. If it rains, they come off because if its raining, its not cold.
This mostly through trial and error, but ended up working out really well. Each glove has its own purpose and I never bring all of them. The coldest days will see my hands get really cold, but then I can't wear just those because then I cannot operate a rifle. For example, with coyote hunting, I cannot take off a glove since that will give away my position in the stand. Or having the shooter gloves when I am on a stalk. They all serve a different purpose.

C. There are 4 items that do the same thing as 2 different jackets (beanies/balaclavas/gaiters/hoodies)
Not in my experience. I find that a lightweight beanie or balaclava will get me warm REAL quick, much more so than a jacket. If you are not insulating your head, you get cold no matter what. But, I have two beanies. One is for climbing and one descending. The climbing beanie gets all wet with sweat while the sitting around/descending beanie keeps me warm.

B. $400 in pants (not including rain gear). Thats another tag. Any stretchy hiking pant works great.
I actually started out just wearing the Ascent pants but realized that they were WAY too cold in the winter time. Also, I found that the knee pads were really handy during some of my long range rifle matches. So the two were purchased, Ascent for archery and summer hunts, the Mountain Pant for winter stuff.

Dont mean to pick on you, but wanted to show where others may put resources.

I do not feel picked on at all. I appreciate your input, the reason for this whole thread. Thank you.

orbowhunt

Lil-Rokslider
As said above, there are a few redundant items on your list but to each his own. Am currently running a kuiu system but will start selling it off here soon as I am making the switch to first lite and sitka for various reasons. Full kuiu system and cost was $1,829. Am sure I got a few items for sale just don't recall which ones.
Guide DCS jacket- $189
Kenai Jacket- $180
Teton Rain Jacket- $180
Tiburon Zip T-$100
Merino 145 Zip T- $95
Merino 125 Crew T- $80
Peleton 97 Hoodie- $100
Merino 210 Hoodie- $125
Guide Pant- $170
Attack Pants- $140
Merino 145 Beanie- $25
Peleton 200 Neck Gaiter- $25
210 Merino Gloves- $30
Guide Gloves-$70
Northstar gloves- $120
145 Zip off bottoms- $90
Climbing belt- $20
Yukon Gaiters- $90

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here’s my mix and match list. Kind of off point but I thought it made a nice contrast for some people getting started.

Sitka core light weight hoody $119 paid $60

Free country full zip fleece paid retail $15

Eddie Bauer downnlight hooded $279(tall with hood) paid $108

Bergan’s of Norway rain jacket from STP. $389 paid $169

Wrangler stretch nylon pants paid retail $22

Skre merino bottoms $80 paid $40

Sitka merino boxers retail? Paid $35

Heavy duty goretex rain pants from goodwill (never worn condition) $13

When it’s not supposed to rain pants. Kuiu Teton $140 paid $70

Sitka kelvin pants $200? Paid $135

Sitka traverse gloves paid retail $35

Gander mountain primaloft mittens $75 paid $40

Merino beanie two pack from samsclub $30 paid $6

Kuiu super down pants 1st gen $200 paid $25

Some duplicates but for the prices it’s nice to have some task specific items.

Is the expensive stuff worth it? Just depends on the user. I’ve owned a lot of other top shelf items but this fits my wants, needs, budget. The only thing on my list I want to upgrade is the pants. The wranglers are great I just miss the vents and zippered pockets of Skre or Kuiu pants.

To me, it’s worth it. I could save a few chipotle burritos buying Kuiu, but then I’m buying Kuiu.

Overall a decade of Sitka clothes costs less than:
- a pair of binoculars
- a vacation to Mexico
- a few payments on an HD picks up truck
- a few rounds of winter golf

It also resells in one day for 50% retail price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
i'm saving money rabidly for retirement. sadly i started late.

having said that..i dont have Sitka money. i just cant justify it. my wife did buy me a Sitka 90% jacket when we first started dating. maybe 16 years ago. it is by far the best wearing jacket ever. it wont wear out. and the style is timeless. sadly, i lost a lot of weight and it is simply to big for me. i balked at the price of a new jacket in a smaller size and sought out a used FL north branch. i'm okay with that.

if i could, i would buy all Sitka.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
To me, it’s worth it. I could save a few chipotle burritos buying Kuiu, but then I’m buying Kuiu.

Overall a decade of Sitka clothes costs less than:
- a pair of binoculars
- a vacation to Mexico
- a few payments on an HD picks up truck
- a few rounds of winter golf

It also resells in one day for 50% retail price.

I can respect not wearing Kuiu but chipotle? Qudoba is so much better

You make a point on the resale. I’ve bought used Sitka and resold it for little if any loss. All my used Sitka has looked near new, even when the seller described it as worn or heavily used.

I find the investment i made into quality gear to be worth its wait in gold. The value i found in it was being able to stay out longer and be more comfortable. Plus i agree with the resale value, people are willing to still pay for somewhat of a premium buying used. Over the last 3 years i probably have over $2,000 worth if Kuiu and other high end footwear. I don’t think you can go wrong with either Sitka, kuiu, or first lite they all make good gear

I can’t go into prices on individual pieces, but my whole first lite system cost me just south of $2,000. The only piece I paid MSRP for was my first piece the halstead fleece. I don’t regret it at all, in fact I’m still adding to it. Looking to pick the new catalyst system and the new aero wool stuff. Possibly the new hooded fleece too. Who am I kidding I’m getting the fleece.

Btaylor

WKR
If someone just recreationally hunt every so often then then cost probably isn't justified. However, if you are an eat sleep and breathe hunting nut it most definitely is justified.

My dad recently passed. He was an engineer and a life long tinkerer. Sorting through his stuff I found multitudes of hand and power tools, duplicates of duplicates, some unused, many barely used.

I can’t tell you why he had all that stuff but I do know the only thing he liked as much as using his tools was going to harbor freight, or sears or a yard sale and buying more.

I am a gear head. Always have been. I started hunting a few years back and have probably spent as much as you on gear - UA, first lite, kuiu and a bunch of Sitka clothes. If I am being honest, I don’t hunt enough to get the value out of it. I could probably never buy another scrap of hunting clothing for the rest of my life and still be just fine. But part of it is that buying gear is fun. It is a way to scratch part of my hunting itch when I can’t get in the woods. It is also being a bit of OCD. After every camping trip, Army field problem, backpacking trip and hunt for 35 years I have come home with a desire to tweak something. Change out a piece of gear or clothing. Buy some gadget that addresses a problem from the last trip. Pack differently. Pack More. Pack less.

One thing I have learned over the years is that high dollar gear isn’t always necessary, it isn’t always better and it isn’t always worth the price. However, plenty of it is well worth the price paid when you get in the field and, unless you are a gear tester, you never really know until you buy it and try it. So the cycle goes on. Buy, try, keep or sell. Repeat.

So until someone starts a twelve step program for hunting gear. buy, try, keep or sell. Repeat.

Mt Al

WKR
I find the investment i made into quality gear to be worth its wait in gold. The value i found in it was being able to stay out longer and be more comfortable. Plus i agree with the resale value, people are willing to still pay for somewhat of a premium buying used. Over the last 3 years i probably have over $2,000 worth if Kuiu and other high end footwear. I don’t think you can go wrong with either Sitka, kuiu, or first lite they all make good gear

Agreed: you get what you pay for, most often, and makes the outdoor experience so much better, longer time outside, stuff that last.

However, you can do 95%+ of all outdoor stuff with WAY less than the list at the top. To each his or her own, for sure, but two pairs of pants (one light, one a bit heavier), one rain shell over a puffy and a "90%" type jacket, simple cheap fleece vest, zip over puffy pants and gore overpants and you're good to go. God forbid you just wear a grey or brown T shirt that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

As above, if you live where there's little rain, you can get Cabelas or other really functional, light and effective rain gear for way, way less. Pull it out when it rains once a year, save tons of money and weight.

IMHO, if money was tight, I'd spend money on some nice Sitka pants and a decent almost-all-purpose-jacket for the spendy stuff. Fill in the rest with Cabelas or other lower priced gear and you're fine.

OK, here goes, I'm going to get banned, flamed, rejected from the community: often times we, myself included, talk about hunting clothes like fashion conscious cheerleaders. I'll start my rehabilitation and tell everyone how it goes. In the mean time I'll be eyeing the next style, camo and solid colors so I can look awesome doing what no one sees me do.

OP
NevadaZielmeister
Agreed: you get what you pay for, most often, and makes the outdoor experience so much better, longer time outside, stuff that last.

However, you can do 95%+ of all outdoor stuff with WAY less than the list at the top. To each his or her own, for sure, but two pairs of pants (one light, one a bit heavier), one rain shell over a puffy and a "90%" type jacket, simple cheap fleece vest, zip over puffy pants and gore overpants and you're good to go. God forbid you just wear a grey or brown T shirt that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

As above, if you live where there's little rain, you can get Cabelas or other really functional, light and effective rain gear for way, way less. Pull it out when it rains once a year, save tons of money and weight.

IMHO, if money was tight, I'd spend money on some nice Sitka pants and a decent almost-all-purpose-jacket for the spendy stuff. Fill in the rest with Cabelas or other lower priced gear and you're fine.

OK, here goes, I'm going to get banned, flamed, rejected from the community: often times we, myself included, talk about hunting clothes like fashion conscious cheerleaders. I'll start my rehabilitation and tell everyone how it goes. In the mean time I'll be eyeing the next style, camo and solid colors so I can look awesome doing what no one sees me do.

Nope, no flaming here. Just respectful discourse. If I want that kind of crap, I just go to some firearm or Jeep forums. No thank you.

I had a lot of Cabelas and found that it was just not as comfortable. I tried REALLY hard to save money and try their under garments, or their pants, or their gloves. Again and again I was disappointed. Eventually, I returned every stitching of Cabelas and traded it for Sitka. The appealing features were the polygene technology (I only wash my clothes once every 5-6 wearings), the warmth to weight ratio, the fit, the finish, etc. I could go on and on. Trust me, I really tried to save money here and there and eventually found the above system to work.

To give you an idea regarding my use, here is what I did this morning. I left my house at 6:00am and climbed 1,600 feet to catch the sunrise at the top of the mountain, which is about 2-3 miles away from my front door. During the hike, I used the core lightweight bottoms, the mountain pants, core lightweight crew neck long sleeve and a mid-weight core zip-t. Gloves were the GTX. Got to the top, added the 90% Jacket and the vest, with the Cloudburst Goretex jacket due to the wind, neck gaiter and changed my beanie. There I watched 12-15 mule deer graze nearby while enjoying the sunrise. I do this 2-3 times per week. Completely comfortable. If the conditions get colder than the 32 degrees I was in, then I can just add layers, maybe even the Kelvin Lite primaloft or if really chilly (-10 to 0 degrees) then I use the Kelvin Down Hoody.

So you see, for me, it is well worth it when I can hike no matter what the conditions, and stay out of the gym. At 45 years of age, my doctor considered my health "excellent". The gear simply allows me to get out there and there is nothing requiring me to hunt when I go out in Optifade. I get closer to nature and get an awesome workout.

But again, to each their own and I respect that everyone's hunting/outdoor experience is different.

OP
NevadaZielmeister
2 weeks ago, when the temperature was about 5 degrees Fahrenheit:

IMG_0072.jpg

Completely comfortable. My house in the background down below.

Nope, no flaming here. Just respectful discourse. If I want that kind of crap, I just go to some firearm or Jeep forums. No thank you.

I had a lot of Cabelas and found that it was just not as comfortable. I tried REALLY hard to save money and try their under garments, or their pants, or their gloves. Again and again I was disappointed. Eventually, I returned every stitching of Cabelas and traded it for Sitka. The appealing features were the polygene technology (I only wash my clothes once every 5-6 wearings), the warmth to weight ratio, the fit, the finish, etc. I could go on and on. Trust me, I really tried to save money here and there and eventually found the above system to work.

To give you an idea regarding my use, here is what I did this morning. I left my house at 6:00am and climbed 1,600 feet to catch the sunrise at the top of the mountain, which is about 2-3 miles away from my front door. During the hike, I used the core lightweight bottoms, the mountain pants, core lightweight crew neck long sleeve and a mid-weight core zip-t. Gloves were the GTX. Got to the top, added the 90% Jacket and the vest, with the Cloudburst Goretex jacket due to the wind, neck gaiter and changed my beanie. There I watched 12-15 mule deer graze nearby while enjoying the sunrise. I do this 2-3 times per week. Completely comfortable. If the conditions get colder than the 32 degrees I was in, then I can just add layers, maybe even the Kelvin Lite primaloft or if really chilly (-10 to 0 degrees) then I use the Kelvin Down Hoody.

So you see, for me, it is well worth it when I can hike no matter what the conditions, and stay out of the gym. At 45 years of age, my doctor considered my health "excellent". The gear simply allows me to get out there and there is nothing requiring me to hunt when I go out in Optifade. I get closer to nature and get an awesome workout.

But again, to each their own and I respect that everyone's hunting/outdoor experience is different.
That's really cool. Given my limited access to hunting rights despite living in the midst of lots of game, and as a new hunter trying to lean more about patterning animal, I do the same thing, 2-3 times per week. Wake up early, walk about 2 miles around a forested hill and come up over the back side and watch roe deer feeding. Hoping to see moose also but so far just a couple of sheds and lots of shit.

To each his own with clothing! Of course it can all be done without camo. You should see what dudes wear here, its like fox hunting gentleman. But no one backpack hunts here, there is just no public land and people like to set up about 5 feet from the road and sit on their ass. Sitka clothing is available in the badass optifade ground forest here, but it is ridiculously spendy. Kuiu is actually cheaper, including customs fees than alot of domestic products. I wear a mix of kryptek, kuiu, fjällräven, mountain hardware, haglofs. These old farts laugh at me, but I wear what I consider to be solid outdoor clothing, whether it is hiking, backpacking, fishing, or hunting.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

Daubsnu1

FNG
I'm 50 and purchased a lot of Cabela's gear back in the day. Gore-Tex, Gore-Tex/Thinsulate, Mto50, Silent Suade, Dry-Plus, Systems parkas, etc.

I wasn't cheap back then, but that stuff has lasted me 20, sometimes 30 years. Good quality clothing will last. That's what I told my now-Ex wife when she questioned my purchases. And for the most part it's held true.

My nephew and his buddies love the Sitka gear, but I think they love it because they see it all over social media / snap-chat / FB / web sites / even TV. Yes, my old gear might be bulkier and less "in," but I stay just as warm as they do in a layout blind, or chasing Mule Deer.

I did pick up some new hunting pants this fall. Needed to replace the 20+ year old cotton 6 pocket BDU's. Found Sitka Mt. Pants in Bargan Cave at Cabela's for 1/2 price. Threw in a coupon, gift card, and points, and they were essentially free. I like them. Also picked up Kuiu attack pants, and really love the hip vents.

I think it's all what you can afford and suits your needs. Remember, all those TV shows you watch, podcasts you listen to, all those web sites you visit, they are all geared to do one thing...get you to spend your hard earned $$ on their products.

Most bad-assed hunter I know is my cousin's kid who cattle ranches in the Sandhills here in Nebraska. He hunts in blue-jeans and a Carhart jacket...and flat out slays them.

Daubsnu1

FNG

We are all just lemmings, and subject to the mass-media bombardment that encourages us to "buy more," "buy the latest and greatest," etc.

<< but don't tell my wife I said this...I have my eye on some new Kuiu gear I really need...er, want...L O L ! >>

In all seriousness, get what fits you, what you like, what keeps you warm and dry, and be happy with it. If you can find a sale, good for you.

I highly encourage everyone to buy multiple items from different manufacturers, try them on in the comfort of your own home, and return what you don't like. Sure, you will pay shipping back, but it's cheaper than buying stuff twice.

I used and still use a lot of army surplus stuff but I couldn’t afford much back then and the technical clothes weren’t out then either. Now I have a few items from a few companies and I really like them and want more. I like being comfortable. This year we sat in the rain all day and when we got back to the tent it took less then an hour to dry my stuff out from head to toe. My blue jeans hunting buddy took at least 4 hours to dry out his stuff. That right there sold me on why I spent the money. Although I did worry about melting my stuff on the wood stove. But my friend didn’t worry because most of his shit was cotton and denim.

ethan

WKR
It’s all a matter of perspective, in my opinion. I can’t afford to go out and drop 2K on a clothing system. So over the past few years I’ve been watching the classifieds and watching for sales. A little here, a little there and next thing you know I’m completely set. Shortly after I started using Sitka I sold or traded all of my old hunting clothes. I went from a bunch of pairs of pants, shirts, and jackets to a much smaller pile of Sitka gear that is twice as versatile, twenty times more comfortable, and has a warranty second to none. So to me, yep, it’s worth it.