Outer Layer AFFORDABLE Recommendations

FNG
Hello everyone - I'm struggling with my outer layer right now. Here's the deal.. I hunt a lot of Whitetail in the Midwest but also do 1-2 trips out West (WY and MT) every year. I have most of FL's gear from base layer up to the Uncompaghre. Last year I found myself to be pretty cold, but only in the gusty wind (in the stand and glassing in MT).

I want to get a rainproof/windproof outer layer but I can't shell out $400+ for a out layer. So my question is this, are the Marmot Precip's of the world WINDPROOF where I can put them on when it gets windy (and rainy, of course) to stop the wind?

I know there are a ton of threads about good cheaper raingear and I can search for that my own, this is a specific question about that more affordable gear. I want to know if this route will work or not.

Thank you

Linedawg

Lil-Rokslider
Me and my hunting buddy also live I the Midwest and decided on the marmont précips we hunt Colorado 2nd season they have worked good for us we bought black ,wear leafy wear over them for rain during turkey season it also has worked well for that, we have seen snow and rain and very cold weather had no problems we
Are on are 3rd year and they are holding up good will go the same route when these wear out or get damaged

twall13

WKR
If it's rated as waterproof it's going to block wind well. Obviously some will fit differently and hold heat differently but as far as straight wind blocking is concerned the more affordable rain gear will still work. My rain coat is actually an old Cabela's pullover that's longer than most. Where I hunt I rarely need rain gear but I use it as a wind blocker quite a bit. I've been wanting a first lite rain coat for years but I just can't justify it for how little I'd use it.

Another option you might consider is a soft shell or a fleece with a wind blocking liner. I haven't played around with those options as much since my current system has been working well but it's another option to consider.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Forget the Marmot Precip stuff, it will not keep you very warm at all, even with layers.

I would stick with Goretex, and conduct your searches with that material in mind. Shelter will always cost money, sorry.

OP

FNG
Forget the Marmot Precip stuff, it will not keep you very warm at all, even with layers.

I would stick with Goretex, and conduct your searches with that material in mind. Shelter will always cost money, sorry.

I understand that, but I'm just looking for them to block wind and rain, thats all. I'm not expected/looking for added warmth or insulation from this layer.

I'll check out some Goretex stuff and see what's out there. Thanks.

LostArra

WKR

Disagree

Precip will work for his purpose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk