Best hunting pants

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
ryan do your ascents smell awful after wearing them? i know youve said the polygene doesnt work for you and ive been pretty disappointed with how poorly the ascents hold odor for me. even after a wash. i wish theyd put hipzips in them bc that would certainly help. i know john said unzipping the mesh pockets are supposed to help but its nowhere close to how well the kuiu tiburons vent for me with the hipzips.

It's funny you say that. I was going to type out a longer answer. They do stink to high hell. BUT when I started wearing the benmore FL boxers under them, the smell went away for the most part. For me and a lot of people I talk to the polygene simply doesn't work.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
It's funny you say that. I was going to type out a longer answer. They do stink to high hell. BUT when I started wearing the benmore FL boxers under them, the smell went away for the most part. For me and a lot of people I talk to the polygene simply doesn't work.
I will triple this agreement. My shirts are great but the new pants smell like death. Something is diff between the two. Balls smell after a week no matter what but only have 2 days these pants could peel paint. Best birth control any man can buy.

Might need to ask Sitka...wtf

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

cjl32

Lil-Rokslider
I'm really growing fond of the Kryptek Valhalla Pants especially for the $50-$60 price range on sale. I bought them for something a little more lightweight than the Attack pants for warmer weather. They are more comfortable for me than the Kuiu Tiburon and seem a little more stretchy but I do wish they had the side zip pits of the Tiburon. I would describe the Valhalla as cross between the Eddie Bauer guide pants and the FL Corrugate guide pants.

Owenst7

WKR
Yes, I have a pair. They are cheaper for a reason. The fit is bad, the material feels cheap and they do not seem as durable as the Prana Zions. Did not like them at all.

I also have the Costco UB Tech pants. I love those! I like the fit more then I do the Zions. The cargo pocket is on the right side and that is a plsu too. But to me they are little noisier then the Zions and would not be as durable. But still a go to pant for hiking. I wore my Prana over them in the elk woods this year and I know it was the right choice. But for an everyday pant, while at home or work, I'm grabbing the Costco tech pants first. Plus they are only $17.99. WAY better then the Wranglers IMOP

That's funny, it must be subjective to body type. The UB Tech pants are too baggy on me and I find the Wranglers to fit me better than just about anything else. I wear them just about every day to work also. I like the position of the cargos a lot and they're hidden enough that they don't look tacticool. The elastic on the waist is also a lot heavier duty than the Costco pants.

I also like the Prana Brions a lot. They it me well, but the Wranglers have held up to desert brush better. I've got one pair of the Wranglers that have done all my hiking and hunting this year and the only noticeable wear is where I burned a hole in the leg and stitched it closed. They did a 2 week backpack elk hunt and a lot of chukar hunting this winter.

I'm a 32x32, 5'10", 165 lbs BTW, since it sounds like fit is pretty subjective. American Eagle jeans standard fit me well without being too tight in the thighs.

Kuhl makes some of the toughest pants I've seen...even more than modern Mexican Carhartts. Too hot for me during the summer though.

Last edited:

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
I wear cabelas microtex pants early season till snow hits the ground , pretty tough pants and for an average of 30$ hard to beat, quiet and a slight repelent finish, blocks wind well enough and with some decent thermals they do well,

When snow hits I like to wear FL corragate pants , nice wind break and snow resistance, again a good thermal underneath and your good to go ,

GAPointer

FNG
They are sort of unconventional for hunting but Eddie Bauer has some First Ascent Pro pants in some earth tone colors that I have had great luck with.

Carlin59

WKR
Another vote for the Eddie Bauer Ascent Guide Pros. They are the only pant I wear for western outdoor activities year round. For moderate activity they are good down to freezing (for me). Below freezing I add a merino baselayer. For stationary activities (glassing), I throw puffy pants over them. I’ve been very happy with this system for four years. When I stand hunt back in WI, I just throw some heavy insulated bibs over them. If you watch the sales closely I’ve seen them for under $50 tyd.

GotDraw?

WKR
Higher price point for sure, but I love Fjallraven Keb Gaiter pants. Built in gaiters, super thigh-vent zips, thorn proof fronts, stretch backs, reinforced seat. If you really get hot, unzip the gator zippers around the knees + thigh vents and you'll vent better than wearing shorts.

You can find them on sale sometimes.

JL

frankrb3

WKR
Although they are probably not "the best", I really like the eddie bauer guide pro pants. Wore a pair all summer for fisheries work in the Beartooth wilderness and had them on when I killed my bull on October 21st. Got them for $40 when they were on sale for 50% off.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Anyone ever try the fleece lined Eddie Bauer pants?

I have a pair that are cozy as hell to wear around in the winter. I don't hunt in them since I think some of the dedicated hunting pants are better for the task but on sale these are a nice pant in the cold. The fleece isn't bonded to the fabric, its just hung from the seams FYI.

I have Kuiu Attack pants and The First Lite Corrugate Guide Pants, I would go with the corrugate for summer hiking. I wear mine all the time for that same purpose. Light enough to not get hot but versatile enough for large temperature swings. My personal opinion is that the attack pants are a little heavier and better for lower temperature applications.

I usually wear my kanabs for most of my outdoor excursions, but noticed them starting to come apart so I quit wearing them. Lately I’ve been wearing my Dickies work pants for everything. I do workouts in them, hike in them, go to the range, do work, whatever. The more I wear and wash them, the more comfortable they have gotten. I bought five pairs for the price of one set of kanabs and they are lasting me a lot longer.

asac12

FNG
EB is having a 40% President's Day sale right now. What color are your Guide Pro pants? I've only seen dark smoke and saddle in the store. I'm picking up the dark smoke for sure, but I was wondering about fossil or slate green as well. Saddle seemed too bright.