Sitka must haves.

OP
A

Atmccary

FNG
Thanks guys. This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I just want a couple of great versatile pieces that you can use in a lot of different situations. I know all the Sitka gear is great but IMO sitka could simplify their line and still produce great clothing everyone wants. It’s just hard being from the east where a lot of shops don’t have every jacket to try on and figure out what I need. But I guess that’s why the forum is so good and so useful. Thanks again.

jrtolley

FNG
When layering all of these pieces do all of the hoodies bother you? Seems like the bulk behind your head would be irritating.

Timberline pants would be at the top of my clothing list. I have other sitka pants buf love the waterproof reinforced knees and seat.

bruno59

WKR
Late season rifle timberlines are hard to beat little to hot for bow season core heavyweight hoody is nice also I will wear kuiu attacks and FL guide pants in bow season

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
When layering all of these pieces do all of the hoodies bother you? Seems like the bulk behind your head would be irritating.

hasn't bothered me- the hoods stay out of the way; typically I'm only usually multiple hoods when glassing and then I'm damn glad to have them all :D

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kelvin pants. Wore them ice fishing today 17 degrees with 30mph winds. Very warm and extremely wind resistant.

Anytime I have layers with multiple hoods - I put the hood up (over my head), add whatever layers & put up hood for each piece I have on, then as last step: take the single formed hood off my head. Not sure if that makes sense, it kind of layers the hoods a little. [1] this allows me to not have any bulk between my shoulders under layers (hate that) and [2] I now can layer for my head as needed as well - meaning what's my protection objective: sun, concealment, wind, warmth, etc

I used to hate hoodies - but I'm becoming a believer. Still try not to have too many of them on at once. I have the new Apex hoodie to throw into the mix for this year, so we'll see how it performs. I imagine I'll still switch to mid 1/4 zip as my base layer for any later (cold) seasons. Unlike the heavyweight series, I can still put on some miles with it as a base layer in late seasons.

I keep trying to like the Fanatic, mainly because I want the pocket, but twice now I've sold a Fanatic hoodie.. I can't stand the wrist on em. It has that built in glove/thumb hole design. Silly if you ask me. It's just over-engineered in my book and as result uncomfortable to wear when gloves aren't deployed. I'd rather just wear the core heavyweight hoodie & either put my hands in pockets or throw on some gloves. Some people swear by this article of clothing however.

As for "must haves"... Pants - tough subject, everyone's different. With the Ascent (latest model) and Timberline I can do anything Colorado can throw at me so long as I have a bottom base layer in my pack. Don't waste your time with Sitka's core bottoms & take a look at Kuiu merino 210 or similar. Why Sitka is resisting a full-zip model is beyond me. I'd kill for core heavyweight with true full side zip - adding & removing base layer without taking off boots is a game changer in my book. As for "star performer" items, I agree the Kelvin Active is worth twice it's weight in gold during fall archery season.

It's easy to buy items you don't need, I'd start slow and get familiar with the products so you can identify a good deal in used markets (FB buy/sell/trade groups & eBay).

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m from Georgia so not a lot of need for mountain style clothing. I’m either bow hunting elk in Oregon or rifle hunting elk somewhere else( having some schedule problems).So what would y’all recommend as Sitka must haves. I would like to stay with Sitka but doesn’t have to be. Trying to get my gear ready. Thanks

Jetstream jacket hands down. It is the most popular jacket they make just because it is an all around mountain jacket/plains jacket. It has Gore wind stopper in it with a DWR finish. Its not going to be waterproof, but I've been in some crazy rain and my clothes underneath stayed fairly dry. I also would recommend a good pant as well either the mountain pants or the timberlines. The mountains are my personal favorite. They are light enough for archery season and with a good base layer they will be warm enough for rifle. The timberlines are great for rifle hunting. The have a reinforced knee and butt that is waterproof so sitting and glassing you won't get wet.

Last edited:

K_pem

WKR
Jetstream vest, the one Sitka piece that is always on me, or upgraded to the jacket. Looking at getting a mt vest for early season this year and scouting, so versatile! I liked my jacket so much i picked one up in dirt for around town.

The mountain pants are probably the most versatile in my opinion, although ive never used the timberlines but my understanding is they run a little warmer.

Trial153

WKR
Core heavy weight Hoody or apex Hoody
Core liteweight Hoody
Jetstream vest
Dew point rain jacket
Mountain pants

Whitetail hunting
Fanatic jacket and hoody
Stratus vest