Sitka must haves.

Atmccary

FNG
I’m from Georgia so not a lot of need for mountain style clothing. I’m either bow hunting elk in Oregon or rifle hunting elk somewhere else( having some schedule problems).So what would y’all recommend as Sitka must haves. I would like to stay with Sitka but doesn’t have to be. Trying to get my gear ready. Thanks

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Their hunting pants that I have used (grinder & Mountain) are the most comfortable pants I have worn. The gore socks are nice to have for a variety of temps down to 20* while moving my feet were comfortable without insulated boots on. Not for those mountains unless late season really cold but their Berber lined neck gaiter is a must for me late deer and goose season. I cannot attest to their jackets because I have not worn them more than just trying them on. I have an under Armour Primaloft jacket that won’t quit working so haven’t made the change yet. All their stuff has its uses and they have a great warranty policy so you pay more for the piece of mind. Buy and sell what you don’t like is my recommendation .

dog

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the Kelvin Lite hoody. (2017 version) Light weight wind proof and insulated enough for me down to about 35 degrees. It fits snug enough that it works very well as an under layer when it gets colder.

Daubsnu1

FNG
I found Mt. Pants at Cabela's bargain cave for 1/2 price. Added in a coupon, a gift card from work, and my Cabela's points and they were essentially FREE! Really like them. Very comfortable, but a little on the light side. Will work great for early season hunts and turkey hunting. Did pick up Kuiu Attack pants, and they are thicker, and have hip vents.

My nephew loves the Sitka gear, but I find it expensive for what you get. Granted, I'm 50 and have lots and lots of Cabela's Gore-Tex and GT/Thinsulate outerwear that just won't die.

Check the classifieds here and your local craigslist for used clothing. You can get great deals, sometimes 50-60% off retail pricing.

My nephew and his buddies have all the latest and greatest Sitka gear...and I stay just as warm in my old Cabela's stuff. I don't look as cool, but my wallet is happier : )

OP
A

Atmccary

FNG
Yes it is expensive That’s why I’m wondering if there are a couple pairs of pants and a couple of shirts/ jackets that I could make work for the majority of the season? A good system to layer with and wouldn’t have to have 6 different pairs of pants and jackets.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mountain pants. Quarter zip top, traverse top or heavy wieght core hoody, puffy and rain jacket. Throw in some light and heavy long johns that system will get you through anything. I also like a jetstream vest it's very versatile piece.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
here are the "must haves" that I recommend-

Core Lightweight hoody- a really nice lightweight base layer, utilizes the latest grid technology so it really wicks moisture away- the hood is really handy

Core Heavyweight hoody- a very nice mid-layer in colder conditions, could serve as a insulating layer in warmer conditions- also uses grid fleece, just a heavier fabric- it's cut nice, the hood fits great and just works

Kelvin Light hoody- synthetic insulation so a little more insurance in moister conditions vs down, very good weight to warmth ratio

with those three pieces you would be set, save a shell layer, for your upper body

Core Lightweight hoody- a really nice lightweight base layer, utilizes the latest grid technology so it really wicks moisture away- the hood is really handy

Core Heavyweight hoody- a very nice mid-layer in colder conditions, could serve as a insulating layer in warmer conditions- also uses grid fleece, just a heavier fabric- it's cut nice, the hood fits great and just works

Kelvin Light hoody- synthetic insulation so a little more insurance in moister conditions vs down, very good weight to warmth ratio

Those are the exact same pieces I would suggest also.

ethan

WKR
Absolutely the core hoody and the timber line pants are my favorites. The TL pants are on the heavy side if your hunter no warm weather though.

I’m from Georgia so not a lot of need for mountain style clothing. I’m either bow hunting elk in Oregon or rifle hunting elk somewhere else( having some schedule problems).So what would y’all recommend as Sitka must haves. I would like to stay with Sitka but doesn’t have to be. Trying to get my gear ready. Thanks

the timberline pant or mountain pant is our most popular piece for legs for the core the ascent of lightweight hoodie would be a good starter and then build from their with other base layers

if you need more help shoot us a pm

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
That heavyweight core hoody is on my body like 85% of the year.. and always in my pack. The timberlines are pretty hard to beat for a later season pant. I've really been digging that lightweight core hoody for the early season as well. The jetstream beanie is legit too.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
here are the "must haves" that I recommend-

with those three pieces you would be set, save a shell layer, for your upper body

Yes, that is perfection. Add Mountain or Timberline Pants and you are set for most conditions. Climbing hills in Sitka Pants is a game changer. Coming from old wool pants that fought every step, it feels like you are getting pulled up the hill by the Sitka’s.

Kotaman

WKR
The new Apex pants and hoodie are going to be replacing some of my fav's. The Hoodie will replace the Core Lightweight for me and the pants will replace the mountain pants for me. Lately, I've also been running the Kelvin Active Lite instead of a "soft shell" or "heavyweight" hoody and I like that piece a lot. In fact, it is probably my favorite Sitka piece. So...Here's my "new and improved" Sitka must have list:

*Apex Pant
*Apex Hoodie
*Kelvin Active Lite Jacket
*Kelvin Light Hooded Jacket
*Dew Point Rain Gear

This list of outwear will be going on two sheep hunts with me in the near future.

The new Apex pants and hoodie are going to be replacing some of my fav's. The Hoodie will replace the Core Lightweight for me and the pants will replace the mountain pants for me. Lately, I've also been running the Kelvin Active Lite instead of a "soft shell" or "heavyweight" hoody and I like that piece a lot. In fact, it is probably my favorite Sitka piece. So...Here's my "new and improved" Sitka must have list:

*Apex Pant
*Apex Hoodie
*Dew Point Rain Gear

This list of outwear will be going on two sheep hunts with me in the near future.

kota, I haven't been as excited about clothing as the apex line in quite some time. Interesting that its going to replace the core lightweight. I thought it was more of a chama type piece then a true baselayer?

Last edited:

Kotaman

WKR
kota, I haven't been as excited about the apex line in quite some time. Interesting that its going to replace the core lightweight. I thought it was more of a chama type piece then a true baselayer?

I looked at the Apex stuff in Reno at the Sheep Show and it is pretty lightweight. (not as light as the core lightweight) I plan to wear it as a layer OVER a SS. IT IS GOING TO REPLACE THE CORE LIGHTWEIGHT FOR ME, NOT REPLACE IT FOR SITKA. You are right in saying it is in line weight wise with the Charma.

I looked at the Apex stuff in Reno at the Sheep Show and it is pretty lightweight. (not as light as the core lightweight) I plan to wear it as a layer OVER a SS. IT IS GOING TO REPLACE THE CORE LIGHTWEIGHT FOR ME, NOT REPLACE IT FOR SITKA. You are right in saying it is in line weight wise with the Charma.
ahhh, gotcha. I haven't had the chance to see it in person, but your use method is exactly how I run a chama, so I am excited for it.

Btaylor

WKR
I went Equinox pants and jacket with a core lightweight hoody last year for early season elk and early whitetails here at home. Plan to add a core heavy weight zip tee. The heavy zip and base layers will make the equinox set work until we get to winter weather which as you know is normally late season.

*Apex Pant
*Apex Hoodie
*Dew Point Rain Gear

Can't speak to the apex stuff yet, but the kelvin active has quickly taken then place of my traverse zip-t. It's a great piece.