Best piece of hunting clothing, and why...

Daubsnu1

FNG
For me it is a toss up between my Cabela's Waterfowl System's parka (Advantage Wetlands) and my Cabela's MTo50 Gore-Tex shell (Realtree woodlands).

Systems parka is Cordura outer shell with Gore-tex lining. The zip in liner is Thinsulate. I wear this all the time. Waterfowl, deer, blowing snow, even turkeys when it's really wet and raining. Tough as nails, a little noisy, but it's pressing 20 years old and just can't be worn out.

But...

My favorite has to be the MTo50 Gore-Tex rain shell. Super quiet, waterproof, windproof, breathes well, and just comfy as hell. It keeps my dry and warm when fishing, turkey hunting, great outer layer when deer hunting...keeps the wind off me. Packs down in to it's own pocket when I don't need it.

I've toyed with the idea of getting a new waterproof / breathable shell...but this jacket just keeps on performing. And it's gotta be close to 20 years old as well.

So what's your best piece of hunting clothing?

FlyGuy

WKR
My favorite has to be the Sitka fanatic hoody. The built in (ninja) face mask and and extended sleeves that fold down and completely wrap around your hands make it a very versatile piece. For September hunts with frosty mornings, this drops two other pieces (face mask and gloves) to mess with.

Now, if they would just offer it in colors besides black! Dirt, pyrite, woodsmoke....

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
Prana Stretch Zion Pant or FL Uncompahgre Jacket. Both are so versatile and you can wear around outside of hunting as well. The Unpronounceable surprised me with how warm it is too.

handwerk

WKR
I likely wear my attack pants more often then any other "hunting" clothes, they're pretty beat but still going strong and comfy in all kinds of conditions.

For me it is the combination of timberline pants and a jet stream jacket. During rifle seasons in CO I am wearing both of these 95% of the time, and I have never been more comfortable in a range of temperatures. The timberlines breathe very well for such a heavy pant and the pit zips on the jet stream make dumping heat easy.

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member
My best and oldest is a blaze orange carhartt beanie. Several times I’ve tried to replace it but nothing else comes close. It’s warm, quiet, dries fast, somehow is wind resistant. A little bulky when in a cargo pocket. After ten years it’s not quite orange enough anymore but I’m afraid they probably don’t make them the same.

Honorable mention to my Sitka traverse gloves. They might become my best piece but they are pretty new to me. It’s hard to find a well fitting glove and I’m thrilled with the dexterity and warmth for what they are.

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
kuiu super down mittens. biggest surprise of any piece of clothing I bought. I just didn't expect those to keep hands that warm for as long as they are on. everything is warm at the start but the cold always penetrates. not with these.Treestand hunting is mostly what I do, so beating the cold is the biggest hurdle. these help big time.

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
For me it's Sitka Equinox pants. I wear them as much as I possibly can. In single digits I'll wear them with good layers underneath if I'm walking, all the way up to about 75 when I'm fishing a wooded stream for natives. Also wear them every day when I get home from work as my comfy pants, end up sleeping in them at least once a week. Wore them last week shed hunting and I slipped off a bank and fell into a creek. Luckily only my right leg and butt got wet, but I actually never felt wet the entire walk home, even though my pants were soaked. I think the fabric kinda absorbed the water on the outside but it never reached the inside material. I haven't had Timberline pants yet but I've heard they're the absolute best. I would probably agree since they have the waterproof butt and knees and they're close to the same fabric, but the Equinox pant has to be the next best thing!

LaHunter

WKR
FL merino base layers (in spite of wide torso fit on some of my Chama tops) along with my Kanabs
Also, my fleece pullovers

LostArra

WKR
Treestand hunting: Wooltimate windshear vest (warm, quiet, comfortable for drawing a bow and good for a wide range of temps)

Mountain hunting: Darn Tough socks and some old Core4 soft shell pants with removable knee pads. I used to think knee pads were a gimmick but two of the last three elk I've killed required long crawls in rocks and sage to get a shot.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Whitetail—Sitka Fanatic Hoody and Fanatic Coat/Bibs

Mountains—Sitka Timberline Pants and Kelvin Vest

Everything—Gore Hiking Socks

Lawdwaz

FNG
Easily my KOM hooded (unlined) sweatshirt and KOM Bunwarmer pants, purchased new in 1991 IIRC. The sweatshirt is used in the spring and fall, pants fall only....

brownbear

FNG
I'm torn... First Lite base layers are awesome. I really like the 3/4 pants to keep the knees warmer in stand. However, the Gray Wolf Woolens pullover I purchased is awesome. It's wool, lined, has all the features I wanted, but THE BEST feature of the GWW is the collar. It is taller than all the others (think dracula) and is amazing at keeping the wind off the neck and providing a little shelter from the elements. Love it!

idcuda

WKR
My $17 costco UB travel pants. I have three sets and wore them the last few years for all types of hunting. They have a self-adjusting waist, so there's no belt needed. I don't get any hip bone rubbing or bruising when wearing a pack. They're water resistant, stretchy, and they've survived chukar country with no rips. If they had a pocket on the left thigh, they'd be like a T-Rex with long arms.