Looking for best value down jacket/pants

byz250f

FNG
Been looking at the Kuiu Super down Pro and Ultra as well as the Mont Bell and First lite stuff....on a budget and need to buy a ton of gear for our spring bear hunt. Curious what you would recommend.

Akicita

WKR
On a budget - I would look at Mountain Hardwear Stretch Down jackets. Lots of sales right now for for them ranging from $150 to $175.

Costco in BC had jackets for $50 and vests for $25 last fall. Decent quality and weigh 13 and 9 ounces respectively in XL. Each Come with a stuff sack, but I just stuff into a side pocket. Warmer than the original Kuiu super down but 4 ounces heavier in the jacket. No hood either.

I’d bought a Costco vest a few years ago and wear it a lot. Holding up fine. Gray was the color our local store had this year. Brownish green from 3 years ago was better.

Good luck with it.

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
If you want value and don't insist on camo, buy a Montbell. Year after year, they get awards for building top notch stuff for a fraction of the price of the names you know. A fraction! I have a down jacket (even specs with a Kuiu super down original) that is lighter than the Kuiu and was half the price. It was even lighter! I've had that jacket 10 years now with HEAVY use, and not a mark on it. If you happen to find the exact piece you want in their outlet (which changes constantly), you can almost steal it. The make puffy pants, too.

OP
B

byz250f

FNG
Thanks Guys lots of great ideas...I will check out Costco tomorrow. I read a lot of good stuff about the Mont bell stuff as well. I like kuiu and just bought a Ultra NX setup, and 125/145 Merino wool base layers.

If Costco doesn’t have any in the store, check online. You can always return the order to the store if the fit is wrong, you don’t like it, etc.

Watch the classifieds here. They come up for sale a lot in all sizes. Can get a good price on sitka, first lite, kuiu etc

OP
B

byz250f

FNG
If Costco doesn’t have any in the store, check online. You can always return the order to the store if the fit is wrong, you don’t like it, etc.

just spoke to costco, nothing in stock and wont have anything till next fall.

cjl32

Lil-Rokslider
It isn't the fanciest camo but the Eddie Bauer mcrotherm stormdown seems to be a good value at $80. Could possibly be had for a little less if you wait for the right sale and %off combo.